Thread: At my wits end...

Hybrid booster

At my wits end...

1991 Spirit R/T. Trying to change the crank sensor. Of course it had to break off in the bell housing when I tried to extract it. Been trying to drill the magnetic piece for over an hour so I could try and use an extraction bit, but can't even put a dent in the metal. I'm using cobalt bits that are supposed to be for hard metal, and won't even dent it. I hate the thought of the tranny having to come out for a GD sensor, but I'm out of ideas...there is nothing to grab on to try and pull the sensor out. So am I basically f'd?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: At my wits end...

If it's magnetic, try to heat the case up to break the piece loose and then pull it out with a magnet?

turbo addict

if you can find a couple of bolts with the correct thread for the top two bellhousing holes you might be able to knock the sensor out with enough room for it to drop out from between the bottom of the flywheel and the case .. IF you can back the trans away from the engine a couple of inches (?)

put the long bolts in, loosen it up , pound what's left of the sensor once you have the case backed up enough it will go past the edge of the flywheel and jiggle the trans until the piece drops out

note to self
    crank sensor install .. anti seize ..

Hybrid booster

can you break it into pieces?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Maybe "weld" a handle /extractor to what remains with some strong epoxy and pull it out that way?

The other thing I'd try is a ceramic hole saw, the kind you normally use to put holes in tile, etc. Those use diamonds to more grind a hole more than ...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

A buddy of mine who is a machinist is going to get me a higher line drill bit, so hopefully drilling will still be an option.