Thread: 87 CsX brake bleeding prblems

Mitsu booster

87 CsX brake bleeding prblems

Brought the CSX out of storage and the passenger side front caliper was bound up so I replaced it. Decided to bleed the whole system. Rear brakes bled just fine but when I went to the front the
    pedal would not depress at all. Really leaned on it, still no movement. I'm thinking the proportioning valve is stuck in one position. This valve looks like a real PIA to change. Any ideas,
    input much appreciated. If more info is needed please post. Thanks G.P.
    Last edited by gpatterson1889; 10-16-2017 at 06:54 PM.

turbo addict

Re: 87 CsX brake bleeding prblems

Probably not the proportioning valve. That controls the pressure and split point the REAR brakes see. Yes the front lines run through the valve, but there is nothing there to plug, fail, etc. for the front. Opening bleeder screw while pressing on brake has no effect on either left or right front? If yes, suspect the thin steel E-clip in MC has rusted off causing the secondary piston assy. to not function. MC will fail often on these cars if fluid is not changed out every few years. Primary and secondary piston assembly is made out of aluminum and will corrode badly as brake fluid absorbs moisture. My bet is on MC. I would change the other front caliper while your at it. Flex lines can swell internally too, so check those.
    Todd

turbo addict

I've seen a metal brake line with so much rust inside that it wouldn't let the fluid thru.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Rubber lines deteriorate inside and fail to flow. I have also seen the steel bracket on the rubber front brake line rust and choke the rubber line.
    I haven’t had a FWd Mopar yet that didn’t need new front lines.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I've seen a metal brake line with so much rust inside that it wouldn't let the fluid thru.
    I've seen this too. I would try to push fluid through with the bleeder screws totally out of the caliper.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the info guys- I'll start with the MC first and go forward to the lines if that fails.

Hybrid booster

Rubber lines failed on both my lancer and csx. even if they are not bad, I would suggest going to the ss braided.

Mitsu booster

Not the MC. Will move on to rubber flex lines in am.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Same hear with the rubber lines. They swell shut and cause a hard pedal, stuck caliper etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turbo addict

Did you just replace the MC or did you take it apart? Bench bleeding is vital for sucess. BTW if your still suspecting the proportioning valve, the two 19mm hex nuts on the proportioning valve can be easily removed as they are o-ring sealed. Usually a box end wrench is all that is needed. Usually lots of rusty crud surrounding the springs.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Both calipers replaced in front, bled the whole system, replaced flex hoses too before system was bled.Now pedal goes to the floor no brakes at all. No leaks. Guess I'll have to move on to new MC, if I can find one on a Sunday. Any advice or more ideas? Yes I always bench bleed the MC before installing Thanks G.P.
    Last edited by gpatterson1889; 10-23-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Hybrid booster

I thought that you were experiencing a hard pedal? when did that change to a no pressure pedal?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Yeah, the story has changed some since your first post Mr Patterson. Based on new details you've provided I know what the issue is. When you had said you just replaced one caliper I thought, well that rules out the VERY SAME ISSUE I had on my GLHS years ago that baffled not only myself but the dealership techs that 'couldn't figure out' why the pedal was soft after bilateral caliper replacement. I drove it home from the dealership using only the E-Brake! You see, the left caliper will fit on the right side and vice versa and even tho you've been diligent in bleeding the brakes, the bleeder screw isn't at the top of the calipers now and there is a huge air bubble in each caliper now...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

Well here's the scoop. Decided to bleed the whole system once more. Did not buy a new MC. I have to do all my repairs alone so I built my own self bleeder I saw a guy use on YouTube. This time around I smeared grease around the clear flexible tube attached to the bleeder at the fitting to prevent air from getting back in the system. Long story short- brakes are awesome now on every tire. Perfect pedal travel. Every thing is new up front now except the MC which appears to be working fine. Thanks for everybody's input. G.P.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by gpatterson1889 View Post
    Well here's the scoop. Decided to bleed the whole system once more. Did not buy a new MC. I have to do all my repairs alone so I built my own self bleeder I saw a guy use on YouTube. This time around I smeared grease around the clear flexible tube attached to the bleeder at the fitting to prevent air from getting back in the system. Long story short- brakes are awesome now on every tire. Perfect pedal travel. Every thing is new up front now except the MC which appears to be working fine. Thanks for everybody's input. G.P.
    Glad to hear that you have it figured out, but I hate to tell you this, need to swap out that master cylinder sooner or later it is going to fail on you.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Yeah, the story has changed some since your first post Mr Patterson. Based on new details you've provided I know what the issue is. When you had said you just replaced one caliper I thought, well that rules out the VERY SAME ISSUE I had on my GLHS years ago that baffled not only myself but the dealership techs that 'couldn't figure out' why the pedal was soft after bilateral caliper replacement. I drove it home from the dealership using only the E-Brake! You see, the left caliper will fit on the right side and vice versa and even tho you've been diligent in bleeding the brakes, the bleeder screw isn't at the top of the calipers now and there is a huge air bubble in each caliper now...
    Yeah that happened to me once to on my 85 SC- Till my Dad came over and said "why isn't the bleeder at the top of the caliper?" Duh. Had great brakes back in an hour...