Thread: First Ever AWD

Mitsu booster

First Ever AWD

Well today my shop UnderPressure Power & Performance began stripping my car apart for the 392 Stroker install followed by a Twin turbo kit. I’ll be updating the progress on my build on both my pages Instagram.com/turbojigsaw and Facebook.com/turbojigsaw here’s a short mod list.
    modifications
    274 Comp Cam
    Gov Delete
    E85 tuned by “uppturbo”
    Custom “uppturbo” Turbo-Back Exhaust
    6.1 Ported Intake Manifold
    392 Manley Stroker Kit
    Triple Plate Billet Torque Converter
    2 58mm Twin Turbo
    80 lb Fuel injectors
    Custom “uppturbo” Intake

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: First Ever AWD

Pretty cool. Do these cars, or will this one, use the same AWD components that are in the SRT Jeeps?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

How does your car compare in weight to an SRT Jeep? I've had a number of customers with those and they've had mixed results in terms of durability of the trans... some seem fine, others just can't catch a break...

One thing I'll say is that most folks I see start with a project like this (AWD + High HP), end up going RWD if their main purpose is drag racing, they eventually find that the weight transfer on launch negates the front wheels additional traction (being in the air or almost). That being said, I've always thought that, with some thought and experimentation with suspension geometries, it could be made to work, but that most folks didn't want to spend the time (and $$) to get to that place when they could achieve their goals (crazy fast in a straight line), with the RWD conversion (losing the weight was an enticement as well...)

Best of luck with the project, I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

That's one hell of a first post! Based on the canards on the front, I'd say track day car, not drag strip. AWD is the way to go for keeping it out of the barriers

Garrett booster

With Respects,
    May I humbly request pics of the drive train?
    ~THX
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mech1nxh View Post
    With Respects,
    May I humbly request pics of the drive train?
    ~THX
    I'm guessing it's OE AWD LX.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

In to see where this goes.

Hybrid booster

Looks and sounds like it will be a fun drive on track day. I'm in to see the finished product!