Thread: Code 13

Mitsu booster

Code 13

89 Daytona shelby 2.5. I'm get a code 13. I'm pretty sure it's the sensor under the map sensor. Anyone knows how to by pass it with out get more problems.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Code 13

You can bypass the baro read solenoid without any real problem unless you live in a very mountainous region.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You can bypass the baro read solenoid without any real problem unless you live in a very mountainous region.
    Ok so do I just unplug it and run the vacuum line straight to the map sensor? And will that get read of the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Ok so do I just unplug it and run the vacuum line straight to the map sensor? And will that get read of the code.
    I don't know if it will get rid of your code 13, but it won't hurt while trying to figure it out.

turbo addict

A mity vac aren't too expensive and will help you diagnose any vac leaks in a system. The baro allows the car to read barometric pressure and adjust fueling to match which can vary with elevation as well as warm and cold fronts moving through the area. I'd use the mityvac to determine if the baro is leaking and just fix it other than just by passing it.

Mitsu booster

I know there are no vac leaks.and I'm sure it's the baro sensor. I would really like to replace it but can't seam to fine a New one if you can point me to wear I can fine one.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

I know there are no vac leaks.and I'm sure it's the baro sensor. I would really like to replace it but can't seam to fine a New one if you can point me to wear I can fine one.
    The baro sensor and the MAP sensor are one and the same unit. The MAP sensor normally reads the intake manifold vacuum/boost readings. The baro solenoid is hooked up (by vacuum lines) between the MAP sensor and the intake manifold. That solenoid has a vacant barb on it which is open to read atmospheric pressure. Every few seconds, the solenoid gets energized so the MAP can see the atmospheric pressure. Then it goes back to normal, reading the manifold pressure.

Russ Knize's MiniMopar.net has much info regarding this and other codes. http://minimopar.net/fault/code13.html

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Mitsu booster

Ya I understand that but the barometric pressure sensorn sends volts to the ecm to tell it what the barometric pressure is. That's what I believe is the problem. All vacuum lines have been replaced and I even changed the map sensor .only reason I'm worried about the code 13 is I have read it can cause the ecm to go into limp mode.

Ya I understand that but the barometric pressure sensorn sends volts to the ecm to tell it what the barometric pressure is. That's what I believe is the problem. All vacuum lines have been replaced and I even changed the map sensor .only reason I'm worried about the code 13 is I have read it can cause the ecm to go into limp mode.
    That's not how it works. The baro read only functions as a valve to allow atmospheric pressure to the MAP every so often. It will throw a code if you unhook it electrically, because the computer is looking for the resistance in the coil of it. The code 13 is a big problem, as inaccurate MAP readings can damage your engine.

Mitsu booster

Well I'm hoping it's just gummed up after reading that link on how to repair it.I'll try to ungum it in the morning.and let you guys know how that goes and if it's clicking or not.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Just run the vacuum line directly to the map sensor, leave the baro solenoid plugged up. If it goes away, the solenoid is bad. You can either find a replacement, or just leave it hooked directly to the map sensor. I ran mine on the Lebaron like that for 4 years, no issues. And I did mountain runs more than once.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Just run the vacuum line directly to the map sensor, leave the baro solenoid plugged up. If it goes away, the solenoid is bad. You can either find a replacement, or just leave it hooked directly to the map sensor. I ran mine on the Lebaron like that for 4 years, no issues. And I did mountain runs more than once.
    I've always wondered how much of a difference it would make with a serious elevation change. Thanks for that info.

Mitsu booster

Ok so I by passed the barometric pressure sensor this morning.and codes gone. I'm going to try and fix the sensor still.if I can't I'm going to try and find one. Thanks for all the help.and cords thank you for the link. That really helped the article I read before was totally misinformation.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

It’s not a barometric sensor.
    It’s a solenoid.
    Just an electronic valve that opens and closes.
    When it is open the MAP sensor reads the barometric pressure instead of the intake manifold pressure.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

So the map sensor is the baro sensor when the engine is off? I ask because that is how GM's do it.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

The Map checks the baro on decel and at idle, it's why you get that misfire during idle.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    The Map checks the baro on decel and at idle, it's why you get that misfire during idle.
    Thanks.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....