Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My 1988 Voyager 3.0

Garrett booster

Re: My 1988 Voyager 3.0

The heads and block were professionally done/magnafluxed/checked ect. Id have to check my documentation again on where the gaskets and bolts were sourced from, but they were selected by the machinist. Where can I source the OEM head bolts from? Is there a "best" known head-gasket for these? Anyone running additional torque with increased compression?

Garrett booster

Really trying to figure out what direction to go in here. Still need looking to get some answers on my previous post. Heres some pictures of the carnage:

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Those head bolts can be had at any number of places, MD065959 is the 'mopar' part number I believe. Three mules sells the dykem crack detection aerosols if you think something it cracked.

There are no worthwhile machine shops in the area that I would trust.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Those head bolts can be had at any number of places, MD065959 is the 'mopar' part number I believe. Three mules sells the dykem crack detection aerosols if you think something it cracked.

There are no worthwhile machine shops in the area that I would trust.
    Thanks for the tips. Im actually dropping a welder off at 3 mules today. I've been using Heard Precision Machine, Johnny Heard for all my engine machine shop needs. He has been pretty awesome so far and stands behind his work. His bread and butter is pushrod V8s but I have had him do a motorcycle head, 2 sets of 4.6 modular heads, and obviously my van. I use Randy Combs of Combs Prototype and Fabrication for all my custom stuff. Powder coat, milling, lathe work, plasma cutting ect.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

take a headbolt or a bolt with the same thread pitch, drill the center out, weld/braze/solder/jbweld/rubber hose connect a air compressor fitting to the bolt, teflon tape the threads and thread it into that head bolt hole and pressurize it and see where the bubbles come out. i assume its supposed to be a blind hole?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderGT View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Im actually dropping a welder off at 3 mules today. I've been using Heard Precision Machine, Johnny Heard for all my engine machine shop needs. He has been pretty awesome so far and stands behind his work. His bread and butter is pushrod V8s but I have had him do a motorcycle head, 2 sets of 4.6 modular heads, and obviously my van. I use Randy Combs of Combs Prototype and Fabrication for all my custom stuff. Powder coat, milling, lathe work, plasma cutting ect.
    Randy Combs. I know the name, he works for jf taylor out at manned flight. assuming its the same person which it sounds like.

Good to hear on a machine shop down this way. I'll give them a try here soon. Bill K in waldorf was ok.. but god damn he was sloooooooooooooow!
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    take a headbolt or a bolt with the same thread pitch, drill the center out, weld/braze/solder/jbweld/rubber hose connect a air compressor fitting to the bolt, teflon tape the threads and thread it into that head bolt hole and pressurize it and see where the bubbles come out. i assume its supposed to be a blind hole?

Brian
    Thats genius idea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Randy Combs. I know the name, he works for jf taylor out at manned flight. assuming its the same person which it sounds like.

Good to hear on a machine shop down this way. I'll give them a try here soon. Bill K in waldorf was ok.. but god damn he was sloooooooooooooow!
    Thats the one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234