Thread: Anyone have a CaFax account?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Anyone have a CaFax account?

My kid Jagger is 15 now and since he didn't have any interest in the 89 LeBaron GTC I got for him (I sold it after a year of him letting it sit in the driveway) At least now he is getting fired up about cars albeit tough choices. SO far hes fallen in love with/obsessed over/contemplated:

Late 90's Integra type R's. He held onto that notion for a week or so...

A low milage Delorian he found!? Probably my least favorite car in the world! When I told him Id rather drive a Prious, he knew I was seriously against it.

240SX's. He likes the look of them and though I'm not dead set against them, finding them without a turbo or LS motor swap is almost impossible Eventually I found a nice stock green 95 for sale in my budget and after going back and forth with the seller Jagge informes me that he not only hates the green but wants a 97/98 S14 only, preferably white. *If* I eve did find one of those, the seller would want $15K Seriously, I found at least 3 cars in the $15-$19K range for sale. Yikes!

Since he seems to be basing his choices on primarily looks and I am looking to spend no more than $5K, I steered him twards 10-15 year old 3 series BMW's. He was enamored with a couple M3 clones he found but then he discovered the 04-07 TT 335i's. Now I gotta admit, I've liked those cars since they were new and even considered one a few years back as a back up daily driver. So he found a really cheap one(I know, it's suspect already!) in Hollywood and I spoke to the owner. He's all about, come out and drive it and I'm all about whats wrong with the title, is it stolen, can I smog it (last thing I need is ANOTHER car that wont pass Cali smog) Guy admitted to it being salvaged (not a deal killer for a kid's first car) but I suspect there is more to the story. He also said there is a bad 'boost line' so boost is low. Even a blown turbo wouldn't kill the deal as I have 6 months to fix it up before Jagger even has his permit to drive.

So does anyone have a carfax account and can get us some more history? I don't wanna shell out $39.99 if I don't have to... VIN #WBAVB73517VF53432

Thanks!

EDIT: The dang "R" only works half the time on my tablet keyboard

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Anyone have a CaFax account?

No way you can talk him into a turbo-mopar?
    There was a nice looking 86 Shelby Charger turbo (red/silver) in Hollywood for sale.
    Body looked real nice and had a few things that might need attention, but nothing you couldn't handle.
    PM me if you are interested and i can get you in contact with the owner.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

punk kids

lol

id get him a 240sx with a rwd srt swap lol.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Personally, I'd hand him the keys to whatever I could afford(or already had extra), and told him there you go, drive it or walk...

Seriously, I did that with my son. He got his license, and I handed him the keys to my old DD, an '08 smart fortwo. Granted it's a really nice car, in very good shape(even with 185K miles on it). Told him, there you go, if you don't like it, walk to school...

If he doesn't like it, he can get a job & buy his own car...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Personally, I'd hand him the keys to whatever I could afford(or already had extra), and told him there you go, drive it or walk...

Seriously, I did that with my son. He got his license, and I handed him the keys to my old DD, an '08 smart fortwo. Granted it's a really nice car, in very good shape(even with 185K miles on it). Told him, there you go, if you don't like it, walk to school...

That's how I ended up with my van(87' Voyager). Except my dad told me I could only have it if I got it to run otherwise it was going to the scrapyard. That was when I was 16. I originally planned on getting it running, driving it until I saved enough money for a car I wanted and getting rid of it. Ten years later and it's still the only vehicle I've ever owned aside from a parts car. I ended up falling in love with it and have no intention of getting rid of it ever. I also think it's neat to drive the same vehicle that my dad drove to get me to kindergarten.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    That's how I ended up with my van(87' Voyager). Except my dad told me I could only have it if I got it to run otherwise it was going to the scrapyard. That was when I was 16. I originally planned on getting it running, driving it until I saved enough money for a car I wanted and getting rid of it. Ten years later and it's still the only vehicle I've ever owned aside from a parts car. I ended up falling in love with it and have no intention of getting rid of it ever. I also think it's neat to drive the same vehicle that my dad drove to get me to kindergarten.

That is cool.

My Scamp is my high school ride. I've owned that truck over 28 years now(Man, am I getting old). I will never part with it. It's been through a couple of restorations, and a recent drivetrain upgrade, but I still love driving it, and it get tons of comments at the shows I take it to. I win a few awards, but the biggest reward for me is the folks that stop by and ask about it, or comment on it. Lots of folks never knew they made them(at least the Plymouth version). Others remember a family member or friend who had a Rampage and loved it. I get to meet a lot of cool folks at shows with this truck...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Got the cash from the bank, arranged a second driver for the 150mile round trip, set it up for Sunday am then found out this afternoon that I may not be able to insure a salvage title car without a separate 'high risk' policy Might be a deal killer.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

You own 600 cars! You can't put him in something you already own? 😁

Hybrid booster

i was going to say the same thing....
    Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post