Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsquirt (less expensive/super compact/less feature version of megasquirt)

Garrett booster

Re: Microsquirt (less expensive/super compact/less feature version of megasquirt)

MS2 Is also available in kit form. If you have the skills to build it I would recommend going that route. I paid just under $300 for my megasquirt.

turbo addict

Re: Microsquirt (less expensive/super compact/less feature version of megasquirt)

Fully welded and balanced.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Now do you plan to cut a dowel pin in it or something to "key" it to the crank? Is the play that is in the bolt holes enough to throw your timing off?

I'd actually like to try and do this to eliminate the factory pickup at some point. Seems to float around too much.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Now do you plan to cut a dowel pin in it or something to "key" it to the crank? Is the play that is in the bolt holes enough to throw your timing off?

I'd actually like to try and do this to eliminate the factory pickup at some point. Seems to float around too much.
    Yes, play in hole can throw off a few degree of timing, but there is no need to key it, I can check ignition timing with a timing gun and then adjust base timing within Tuner Studio (Megasquirt/Microsquirt tuning software)

You may want to buy a 36-1 wheel ring while I have them for sale.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...73#post1127573

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Thanks Harry.
    I think i should, at least I'll have one for the future.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Megalog Viewer is awesome.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Megalog Viewer is awesome.

Yes it is. I used that and tunerstudio on buddies megasquirt cars.

5.0 mustang and a 97 eclipse with the Chrysler 2.0 that he turbocharged.

Makes it real nice to tune.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'll third that MegaLogViewer is great. I've been having fits trying to get the SD card logging to work on my MS3X. I think/hope i have it figured out now.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I haven't exactly found an answer searching the Web about Microsquirt or Megasquirt.

I saw in your first post you list "o2 sensor (AEM Uego with 5v output)".

Do they allow for the use of a wideband o2 sensor directly or do they require an aftermarket controller and only use the controller's output signal?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
    I haven't exactly found an answer searching the Web about Microsquirt or Megasquirt.

I saw in your first post you list "o2 sensor (AEM Uego with 5v output)".

Do they allow for the use of a wideband o2 sensor directly or do they require an aftermarket controller and only use the controller's output signal?
    As far as I know, all MS require a separate wideband controller, same as require a knock controller for a knock sensor.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    As far as I know, all MS require a separate wideband controller, same as require a knock controller for a knock sensor.
    i suppose the diyautotune knock board for the MS3 technically is a separate knock controller though its integrated into the MS3 and controlled by the software.

but yes, you need a separate wideband.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

this is awesome, I am going with the microsquirt next. getting my GLHS back on the road with this soon. awesome write up @tryingbe. I'm in for one of those wheels btw if not too late.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you do for a grommet at the fire wall where the original LM wires went through? I would like to get Joy's Daytona going with Microsquirt soon.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I actually just pulled the original wires out and ran my own wires through the grommet. With all of my extra wires, for lights and accessories, there were more than enough to refill the grommet. I really like using the knockout plug for the MS cable though.

As for the MicroSquirt, I still haven't had time to get it wired, since I've been working on the RWD Daytona, but that's a whole other story. I still would recommend spending the money and just buying a MegaSquirt 3, since it would eliminate buying add on kits and be easier to program.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if everything would fit through the original grommet. I might give that a try.

Could you please run down how you wired the inputs and outputs for the ac in? I'm a bit confused on that. Also where did you read about microsquirt installs and the like? It seems like the process of going from a project on paper to using the tuning software to get everything to work is a steep learning curve. Thanks in advance.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Could you please run down how you wired the inputs and outputs for the ac in? I'm a bit confused on that.
    I just followed the diagram. http://www.minimopar.net/ecu/lm-1987-t2.html

Blue connector pin #3 for a/c cut out relay. This means ECU can disengage A/C like it WOT condition or if engine coolant temp is over 220F or whatever condition you set it.

Blue connector pin #11 for a/c input. This means the ECU can monitor the A/C on/off and can set a higher idle speed when a/c is turned on by the user. Though, my radiator blogs down my engine's idle speed whenever it turns on , so it might be a good idea to use radiator fan 12v as input signal instead of a/c input.

Also where did you read about microsquirt installs and the like? It seems like the process of going from a project on paper to using the tuning software to get everything to work is a steep learning curve. Thanks in advance.
    A.J. did his MS conversion in his Minivan first, I figured if A.J. can do it, so can I.
    It sounds like you're overwhelmed. Focus on ONE step at a time.
    Wiring is pretty simple, once you determine what features you need and want.

Once you have the hardware set up, then you can focus on the initial start up. Ignition table, fuel table, a/f ratio table can be all calculated using below:

https://www.useasydocs.com/theory/spktable.htm (all the way to the bottom)
    https://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/vetable.htm
    https://www.useasydocs.com/theory/afrtable.htm

You'd want set ignition timing and get the tune close enough for to start it and idle. Once it's warm, road tune time.

If you run into road block, make it post here or https://msextra.com/forums

Thanks a ton. I hadn't seen some of those links before. I'm going to keep at it, and hopefully, I will have the car running before school starts in a week or so...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Thanks a ton. I hadn't seen some of those links before. I'm going to keep at it, and hopefully, I will have the car running before school starts in a week or so...
    sweet , keep us posted on the progress
    what are you doing for crank trigger ?
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    sweet , keep us posted on the progress
    what are you doing for crank trigger ?
    I'm going to test out the Chrysler 2.2/2.5 mode to see if it works. If it does, I think a lot of folks might go that route since it's essentially free and the parts are already there. If not, I'll make a bracket and weld up a pulley most likely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast