Thread: A-555 Quaiffe issue

Garrett booster

A-555 Quaiffe issue

Hi guys - haven't posted in about a year. I missed the Mopar Nats this year after making it the last 5 in a row Dad is in super poor health, and got stuck doing major repairs to his 2004 Dakota this year. It's had me and my garage completely tied up since mid April.

Anyhow - my Shelby Z has been stored since last year. I rebuilt the A-555 in it (new synchros I sourced from here a few years back, new bearings, installed my group buy Quaiffe LSD). When I rebuilt the transmission, I did the selective shims, measured every clearance to .001" with dial indicator, even did the turning torque tests. I did have to get the main shaft welded and machined due to some pitting.

Trans was a bit noisy, but nothing terrible. I got to do two dyno pulls, and after that, the noise quickly got worse. I've only put about 10 miles on it under 40MPH since that time - almost exactly a year ago. The noise is pretty badunder accel or decel - no issues when in neutral, or in gear with the clutch engaged. It seems much worse in 3rd gear, and the worst in 4th.

I noticed today, while turning the drivers side tire, I can hold the passenger side axle still just by grabbing the inner CV joint cup. I assume this is rather bad considering I have a LSD. Trans fluid is clean, I see no metal shavings, and no burned smell. When I initially built it, it was ripping both tires loose with ease. I never did a sustained burnout with it - but is breaks the tires loose easily so did a few good strips. I'm afraid to give it any power until I do a teardown.

As soon as I get my dad's 2004 Dakota out of my garage (hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks) I will be pulling the engine and transmission. Just looking for some advice until that time.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: A-555 Quaiffe issue

Torsen style diffs normally don't have any "posi" effect when one wheel is off the ground.

Unless the diff side bearings failed, I'm guessing an intermediate shaft/bearing issue.

I doubt its the diff itself.

Prayers for your Dad.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    When I rebuilt the transmission, I did the selective shims, measured every clearance to .001" with dial indicator, even did the turning torque tests. I did have to get the main shaft welded and machined due to some pitting.

Trans was a bit noisy, but nothing terrible. I got to do two dyno pulls, and after that, the noise quickly got worse. I've only put about 10 miles on it under 40MPH since that time - almost exactly a year ago. The noise is pretty badunder accel or decel - no issues when in neutral, or in gear with the clutch engaged. It seems much worse in 3rd gear, and the worst in 4th.
    Did you measure and shim the input shaft as the factory manual listed out?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Did you measure and shim the input shaft as the factory manual listed out?
    Yeah - I even had to buy an expensive roll of brass to cut my own selective shim. I don't know if this collapsed, if a bearing went bad, or if the weld & re-machine I had done to the input shaft went bad.

It will be many weeks yet, but when I get it pulled out of the car, I'll post back here and hopefully know what the issue is.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Stephen we missed you guys at the Nats, hope all is well with your family and cars

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.