Thread: Clutch Cable End

Garrett booster

Clutch Cable End

Hi,

I've asked several members via private email but get no response, and I'm running out of time. This is about swapping out an automatic transmission for a 5-speed manual (A543). My new clutch cable has a bulb of rubber at the transmission end. There''s a hole in the transmission to receive the cable. Is there anything else that goes through or into the hole besides the rubber bulb with its rubber tube-like extension?? The shop manual shows a "spacer" there. Can someone please clarify this for me? Do I need yet another part that I don't have? If so, does anyone have one?

Thanks for your time.

.......Ray

Garrett booster

Re: Clutch Cable End

I've got that rubber grommet. That goes at the clutch LEVER, not on the transmission CASE, where there are two holes, one for the cable. Wish to God I'd known you had that. I spent a fortune for one from another source, along with the metal clip that secures it. What I'm asking about is where the cable outer housing stops at the case, not where the steel cable runs down to the lever.

turbo addict

Marty has used or new.

http://arizonaparts.com/search-parts.html

Garrett booster

Didn't you get my E-mail?

Garrett booster

No, lightbulb, I didn't. I'll send you a private msg again to confirm my email add.

........R

Garrett booster

Well, I don't know why it didn't go through. Everything I said in the email has pretty much been covered here. I will add that it is possible to use washers in place of that piece but that's not ideal because the original piece angles the cable so that it is perpendicular to the release arm when the clutch is engaged. This helps stop the cable from chafing the bushing in the arm. Washers will work temporarily though as long as the arm bushing is in good condition. There is also rubber bushing that goes into that plastic piece. It is shown in the diagram you sent me. Those two pieces are hard to find.

Garrett booster

Lightbulb, obviously you're getting my email notes: You got the pix I sent, that you posted. I've checked spam, nothin' there.

Marty at Arizonaparts has this part but he's out for three more weeks. Marty suggested Mopar dealers but they, every one I've contacted, have NOTHING for the older cars.Your description was great, about getting the angle correct. Now the drawing makes sense. I can probably make a part that'll accomplish that, but hope someone else here has the part they can sell.

Anyone??

........Ray

Garrett booster

Gentlemen, TO CLARIFY:

What I need is part no. 4641289. It's called the SPACER. It's apparently plastic, angled to accept the clutch cable at the proper angle to help it intercept the clutch lever at the correct angle. Back in 2008 there was brief discussion of this part and also of the ISOLATOR, #4295594, which goes above it between the end of the clutch-cable housing and the angled plastic spacer. Many thanks to lightbulb010 for clarifying this for me.

Does anyone have this? Or do I have to make one of wood, or phenolic, or old tin cans?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I have made them using some plumbing fittings and cut the angle with a bandsaw.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Tin cans work best.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

Hey, 135sohc, I saw your agonizing post about these parts from back in 2008. No one has yet come up with a suitable "fix." O the shame! I intend to make mine from laminated WOOD, which, being under compression, will do nicely. I found the "isolator" on eBay but I have to buy 3 for $50. Screw that. Marty may have one, and I have another possible source. The angled part is key, but whatever goes between the angled part (formerly plastic...and delicate, apparently) and the end of the clutch-cable buttress can be made of almost anything, it seems. Rubber, epoxy, etc.

I'll let y'all know what I come up with, and thanks again to all the folks who offered suggestions and help.

Today I got the axles back in, a huge job especially when you don't notice the axle is not fully engaged with the transmission and you're pushing as hard as you can, trying to compress solid steel with your body. Duhh....

By the way, if anyone needs anything, I've had GREAT success and help from Parts World in Oklahoma. He (George) got me the ECU/PCM via his yard references, and made good on a faulty transmission. He used to race, and understands these old cars. Another thing I've found is the "TEKTON" wrenches from China, pushed hard in this country, are extremely good tools for not much money. They're the new replacement for Craftsman, or so I think. I don't own any stock in 'em.

.........Ray
    Last edited by RayO; 09-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.

turbo addict

the tab with the two holes .. the cable end goes through the one closer to the bellhousing

some cars just had a round gromit some cars had an oval one with two bungs on the bottom
    the cable passed through one bung and the other bung helps locate the part on the tab by fitting into the hole closer to the frame rail / battery

Garrett booster

Sorry, but that's not right. I'm trying to get lightbulb010 (Joe) a picture showing BOTH setups, FACTORY drawings, the clutch cable going through one hole in one, and the other hole in the other. This is why some get away with not using the beveled plastic piece, which is the part number I mentioned above. As I said in my post "Which Hole," some FACTORY drawings call for the beveled plastic piece (#4641289) with the cable going through the driver's-side hole and some FACTORY drawings call for the oval piece you mentioned, (#4377825) with the cable going through the passenger's-side hole. I can't get the image sent. Email glitches, maybe Houston related. I'm "not permitted" to post images here, which is a pile of b/s in my opinion, but hey, it's not my forum.

At any rate, you're both right and wrong. There is evidence that I have, but CAN'T SHOW, that both holes are used, on the A543 transmission. I mean the cable itself is shown going through one and in another drawing going through the other.

Explain that, please, and thanks for your time.

........Ray

turbo addict

K it goes through the hole closest to the bellhousing

look down through each hole in turn while lifting the clutch arm
    you'll soon see which hole is directly above the hole in the arm .. THAT's the hole you need to use

ps in the 84 factory service manual there's a drawing of a 2.2 turbo motor with all the parts flaged
    .. the flag for the fuel injectors says , sparkplugs

sooo not even the factory drawings are right all the time ...

to add the oval rubber piece with the two bungs .. the two holes are not the same size so you quickly find which way 'round it goes

turbo addict

YEARS, MAKE, MODEL matters!!!
    Post put that info in every thread you make. I had to look thru your other threads to find out what kind of car you have.

There are DIFFERENT transmission made throughout the years!

This is for a vehicle of 90 model year.

This is for a vehicle of 93 model year.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 09-05-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Garrett booster

Yep, Johny, the shop manual was written by morons and edited by either more morons or perhaps native Chinese-language speakers. I've found numerous torque discrepancies throughout, English phraseology impossible to understand, references to absolutely nothing, you name it.

I already did what you suggested and the hole closer to the axis of the clutch arm does seem to be the right one. The other one, closer to the driver's side, is shown in use in the manual for my car, and is used by at least one poster here, but the clutch lever is different. Again the drawings in the shop manual don't match everything. Thanks for your notes. Be sure to check the other thread, "Which Hole" to see the drawings I had lightbulb010 post. Both images have the clutch arm I have on both my A543 transmissions.

Tryingbe, I replied to your kind post on the other thread at length. Thanks again.

.........R

turbo addict

if you assemble the cable using the hole closest to the frame/battery you will instantly find you have a really nasty angle in the cable as it runs down from the tab to the arm

it will just "look" wrong and will look like the cable won't last very long as a result

when comparing the hole closest to the bellhousing the hole in the arm might seem a little past it but when the cable pulls it will draw the end of the cable closer to the end of the sheathing mounted at the tab which will look like it will prolong the cable life

that should answer the question finally

Garrett booster

I agree, with one caveat: The angled plastic piece, 4641289, will give the cable a better angle if the frame/battery hole is used. But as you noted, even with that ANGLED SPACER the angle gets BAD when the clutch arm comes all the way up.

I'd say we're done here.

........Ray