Thread: Which pistons for this?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Which pistons for this?

I'm having trouble figuring out which pistons to get that will work with what I've got. Several questions below, but I'm trying to figure out what I need to order, so I can get this back on the road.

I have to replace the turbo in the '87 CSX, so I may as well build this block I've got in the garage at the same time. It's the one I had in the car back in 2001 with TII rods and .020-over Venolia pistons with the big wrist pins. My machine shop at the time never got those assembled properly, as I think they bored the small end bushings out to fit the pins, leaving very little bushing material. So I *think* the small ends of the rods are still stock TII size. (What is that stock size, so I can measure them?)

I got rid of the pistons some time ago, but I still have the rods and want to use them for this with some new cast pistons, if possible (can't afford more forged right now). From the info available online, though, I'm having a hard time figuring out what piston and pin combination is the right one for these TII rods. Is it Keith Black 1291H-5MM? That's the only thing I've found that mentions floating pin. Do they come with the clips or spiral locks, as well? If not, where do I get those?

I'm also going to need new bushings for the small ends of the rods. Having trouble locating those, too. Does anyone know where they can be gotten?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Which pistons for this?

I thought the Keith Black units were hypers?

I think they are, but that's just the only ones I see so far that mention floating pins. I'm only looking for stock power out of this.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The Sealed Power 533P is once again a floating pin from what I've read. I would double check that though.

turbo addict

/www.google.ca/search?q=sealed+power+533P&hl=en&sourceid=gd&rlz=1 Q1GGLD_enCA728CA728&gws_rd=cr&ei=BvikWa2mJeTgjwSwl ZLgBA

summit's listing says pressed pin

well my link isn't worth anything sorry ..

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Fwd Performance has rod bushings. I usually buy them and give them to the shop to install. IMO your better off looking for a set of stock used Mahle pistons then using those new hyper' s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CSX194 View Post
    Fwd Performance has rod bushings. I usually buy them and give them to the shop to install. IMO your better off looking for a set of stock used Mahle pistons then using those new hyper' s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    +1. I understand being tight on $$$, but doing it wrong once, then going back in again and doing it right after it breaks is WAY more expensive than doing it right the first time.

Although the OP is kind of stuck since it appears it's a .020" over motor...

There was a seller on ebay with some older, pre-hyper, Sealed power cast pistons for sale. May just need to do some looking...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Current 533P Pistons are hyper as well. Look for a set of older ones, I've seen tham
    on eBay. The non hyper 533P have a steel strut cast into the piston similar to the Mahles.

For future reference... If anyone needs new TII small end rod bushings for stock size wrist pins (0.901"), the only ones I found are Crower part # 90901-1. They are a perfect fit.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I honestly wouldn't worry about the hyper eutectic pistons in a stock engine.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Besides, Certain models of the Keith black pistons are heat treated too. Just like the ones I have in 89 mm bore. And they are floating pins.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....