Thread: Need help with my pistons

Garrett booster

Need help with my pistons

So I bought a set of diamante pistons for my build. Ordered for a 1992 diamante, SOHC and checked the Beck/Arnley part number against threads on this site and turbo dodge and ebay to absolutely make sure they were the correct 10:1. Ordered from rock auto in 50mm oversize. I took the to my builder and we put them in the block and compared them and everything looked good. He called me to day to say he is concerned about the valve reliefs not matching up. What do you guys think?

Garrett booster

Re: Need help with my pistons

I'm pretty sure the 10:1 pistons make an interference motor so the reliefs don't really matter anyway. I would run them. The intake valve relief is what makes the stock pistons weak. Very little metal between the relief and the top ringland.

Garrett booster

I also bought diamante pistons from the rock and they were wrong. ended up getting some from lordco.

Garrett booster

In what way were they wrong?

Garrett booster

I don't see those pistons causing a problem. It looks like the quench pad is shaped wrong for the combustion chamber but not by much. If you can still return them and get pistons with the right quench pad it would be more ideal if you want to be anal. If it were me and it would cost me more money to get the "right" pistons I would just run these. I doubt you would ever notice the difference from the quench pad. With that being said, I would measure everything else to make sure they are what they're supposed to be and that the crown is the only place where the company changed the design.

I'm curious as to what Spiritman might have to say. I almost ordered those same pistons for my current engine but decided I could spend the money elsewhere and didn't want the compression bump. I would only have been using them for the added strength I'm guessing these have due to what I mentioned in my previous post about the intake valve relief.

Hybrid booster

bolt a head down. with some silly putty. rotate the engine.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    I don't see those pistons causing a problem. It looks like the quench pad is shaped wrong for the combustion chamber but not by much. If you can still return them and get pistons with the right quench pad it would be more ideal if you want to be anal. If it were me and it would cost me more money to get the "right" pistons I would just run these. I doubt you would ever notice the difference from the quench pad. With that being said, I would measure everything else to make sure they are what they're supposed to be and that the crown is the only place where the company changed the design.

I'm curious as to what Spiritman might have to say. I almost ordered those same pistons for my current engine but decided I could spend the money elsewhere and didn't want the compression bump. I would only have been using them for the added strength I'm guessing these have due to what I mentioned in my previous post about the intake valve relief.
    Thanks. These were the last six they had and the only ones I have been able to find so far in the correct oversize. Everything else I have found that has been advertised as diamante pistons have been of the stock compression ratio.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    bolt a head down. with some silly putty. rotate the engine.
    Wouldn't the timing components need to be in place so the valves are open when they should be?

Hybrid booster

that would be implied with the spin it over comment.

BUT

not if you just want to check for worse case. is it interference now?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    that would be implied with the spin it over comment.

BUT

not if you just want to check for worse case. is it interference now?
    Everything I have read says it become interference with the 10:1. I don't have the motor infront of me currently as I am on travel.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

It will be interference. The valve reliefs need to be very very deep to avoid contact.
    The OEM diamante reliefs make zero sense, don't line up, etc. I see a slight dish which would prevent your overbore from increasing compression beyond 10:1.

Jumping timing is not a common thing for the 12v. Never seen or heard of a 12v diamante that had bent valves or holed pistons.

Side view of the pistons showing the ringland thickness would be more important to me. The bottom too!
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Well it's back together at this point anyway. Checked each piston on the compression stroke and everything spins like it should. Machinist said everything else was fine.