Thread: Jet Hot Opinion

Garrett booster

Jet Hot Opinion

Thinking about having my manifolds jet hotted. My only hold up is that they are almost 100% covered by the ugly heat shields. I want to do this mostly for aesthetics so my options are to A.) Coat both the hestsheilds and manifolds which is $$$$$. B.) Paint the manifolds and coat the heat shields which would be less efficient but be presentable. Or C.) They claim the coating lowers temperatures by 65% at 3-5 inch distances. Could I just get rid of the heat shields all together or not a good idea?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Jet Hot Opinion

Since you said this is mostly for aesthetics, looks and cost sound like your drivers.
    But, for as far as which would be most effective, coating the manifold and retaining the heat shield would reduce the temperature on nearby parts the most.
    If money allows, coating both manifold and heat shield would probably be the best looking option.

65% temperature reduction is huge. I didn't know it was that good.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

You could probably get rid of the heat shields, as the Jet Hot coating will do what they do, but, it would be even better, from a heat control standpoint, to have both.

I'd consider Jet Hot on the Manifolds, as that will yield performance benefits as well as looks, and paint the heat shields, which will hold up much better since they don't see the heat they'd normally see...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

I'm all for ditching the heatsheilds from a simplicity and cost standpoint i was just worried about it effectimg anything. I don't believe I've seen anybody do this before so I think I am in uncharted territory here.

Hybrid booster

I'd get the mannys done and see how much the heat comes down. You can always get the shields done later if you feel you need the extra insurance.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Are you running a larger than stock turbo? Want it to spool quicker? Holding the heat INSIDE the exhaust manifold = increased energy for spool. The cost is starting to seem like a bargain right

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I've had many turbo parts thermal barrier coated over the years. Yes they work, but they don't last forever. High Performance Coatings, Inc. basically told me if you get a few years out of them that is about the most you can hope for. They wouldn't warranty anything beyond a year or so. The appearance coatings can almost last that long. I also have coated intake manifolds several times with Tech Line product and they hold up for a long time. "If" you do this DIY, don't use your wife's stove or anything your going to eat from to cure product!

turbo addict

Now, this doesn't have a ton of miles but it's maybe 3-4 years old. You would have to ask shadow what type of coating it is. Has held up better than I thought.

Hybrid booster

I bought Mike Wah"s GTP.
    He had the header "thermal coated" by someone. It looked great but was flaking off in big pieces.
    I pulled the exhaust and had it all "Jet -coated", inside and out.
    As noted above keep hot gas in , and keeping it cooler externally is a win win.
    My header only has about 1500 miles on since the coating but it looks same as the day it arrived.
    My race mechanic has headers and manifolds that are 5 plus years out from being "jet-hotted", and look great.
    This photo is after 1500 mi. Discolored marks on header are where i had gotten it wet prior to picture.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Garrett booster

Nice! That thing looks damn close to the radiator so it must be pretty effective. I have a local place that does INC Cerakote so i was thinking about giving them a shot over sending them out to jet hot. Def. Not going to use any DIY stuff as I have never seen it last well.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Now, this doesn't have a ton of miles but it's maybe 3-4 years old. You would have to ask shadow what type of coating it is. Has held up better than I thought.
    Looks kinda like old swain tech coating.

turbo addict

I've had similar success with simple white manifold paint and sandblasting
    if the part's clean and totally rust free the manifold paint really does work though it won't do much for temp control

Hybrid booster

some pics of mine cerakoted lower and exhaust mani.
    Was under it a few days ago. they turned a darker flat grey. but no chipping or discoloration.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've had really good luck with the cerakote piston coating on turbine housings. It is the highest temp they offer but it's a gold color. So far it's lasted 2 years on a road race car and hasn't rusted or chipped. The turbo was new when coated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CSX194 View Post
    I've had really good luck with the cerakote piston coating on turbine housings. It is the highest temp they offer but it's a gold color. So far it's lasted 2 years on a road race car and hasn't rusted or chipped. The turbo was new when coated.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

RoadRace car? the 16V GLHS? Thought that was wifeys car? I demand a separate thread Jamie! Appologies for hijack...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    RoadRace car? the 16V GLHS? Thought that was wifeys car? I demand a separate thread Jamie! Appologies for hijack...
    No it's a buddies srt4. World challenge replica build. Very nice car. The Porsche killer 😁

No it's a buddies srt4. World challenge replica build. Very nice car. The Porsche killer 😁

Here are some pics of the cerakote and of the road race srt4. And another cerakote precision turbo done in glacier black and titanium.

Jamie

Hybrid booster

That SRT4 is a bad machine!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

The 12 year old coat on my mild steel crossover manifold has seen better days. For some reason the external dump pipe attracted rust under the coating before and after the wastegate. The other parts look good.
    If you want to get rid of the 3.0 exhaust flange shield below the plugs, I don't think thats a great move. You can't really see the other one actually on the manifold.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56