Thread: 1978 Chrysler Conqueror

Garrett booster

1978 Chrysler Conqueror

Posting this in ALL the Mopar forums. Really want to put this in the hands of a Mopar guy and not some buyer from CL who thinks it's neat looking

MY BOAT IS READY TO SELL. $ 3,600 OBO Has not been in the water for the last 3 years due to various health issues. Its a 1978 17 ft Chrysler Conqueror with with a 140 HP Chrysler outboard. I just put all new surge brakes on the trailer, that includes 2 new backing plates with new shoes, attaching hardware and wheel cylinders. The Demco surge brake actuator has just had a new master cylinder installed. The 15 inch trailer tires are in very good shape so trailering will not be a problem.
    Every thing in the boat is in excellent shape except the carpet, and I am planning on replacing it. If you look at the picture you can see a stain behind the rear facing seat. The seats have storage under them and also fold flat to sun bath on. The seats have no tears or split seams and look really good. The upholstery along the side ski storage areas is also in excellent shape.
    The outboard has had a new water pump impeller installed. Its rubber, and is a regular wear item. The outboard power head was completely rebuilt with 4 brand new Weisco pistons when a ring broke and scored up the #2 cylinder 5 years ago by a reputable machine shop. Boyseen dual stage reeds were also installed at the time. The rebuild cost me over a 1,000.00. The pistons were 105.00 each, the reeds were about a 100.00, the engine gasket kit was around 90.00 throw in cylinder boring, and taking apart the engine and putting the rotating assembly back together again and there you have it, a big old Ouch! Fuel pump diaphragms have been replaced ( the 140 uses dual fuel pumps) I also have a fuel pump gauge and inline filter installed under the hood. Speaking of the hood it is in very good shape but the decals are starting to fade somewhat.
    The boat come with lots of extras, 4 life jackets, paddle, 1 person tube, tow rope, water skis and rope, some coast guard required stuff like a fire extinguisher and a flare gun. It also come with a extra portable 6 Gallon tank the goes along with the built in 18 gallon tank. I also have a NOS Chrysler Marine container of premix and a 1978 Chrysler Marine sales brochure. Included in tbe sale are 3 props, a 21 pitch stainless steel prop, a 19 inch prop that works best for pulling up water skiers and if you ever need to pull up a pair of elephants on skis a 17 pitch prop. The 17 severely limits your top end speed but gives you AMAZING hole shot, time to plane is really quick with very little bow rise and will pull even the heaviest skier on a single ski up easily. I just detailed the boarding ladder and it came out great. Way better than it was.
    This boat draws comments every time its being put in or taken out of the water. Its not perfect and has scratches and dings that any boat gets from bouncing off a dock but looks amazing for its age, much better than some boats I have seen half its age to be honest. I
    I would really like to see this boat go to a Mopar guy who will take care of it and not some local person off of CL who is just looking for a boat. Imagine how cool it would be if you had say a B body wagon or a C body and put a hitch on it and towed this boat behind your car to a show some time! That wouldn't happen with my '70 Barra'
    This is not a boat you see come up for sale in any shape very often, I keep a pretty regular eye on boat trader and Ebay and cant remember the last time i saw a conqueror 140 in good shape with a matching Chrysler outboard offered for sale. I live in the Atlanta area but would be willing to tow it somewhat to help out a buyer. FWIW I bought the boat in NY and trailered it all the way to Ga, so don't be afraid to travel to get this awesome boat.

turbo addict

Re: 1978 Chrysler Conqueror

Very cool! GLWS Funny you should mention not towing with your 70 E-body. That is exactly what my brother DID with his Plumb Crazy 70 Challenger back when it was new.
    I forwarded this link to a Mopar collector in the Midwest. Hopefully he will be interested and make contact. Lives in the land of 10,000+ lakes. Should be right up his alley.
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 08-17-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added info

turbo addict

Nice boat. Maybe in the future I want an old Chrysler boat as a project. I'd want a model that's more for fishing though.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Would love to see more pics. These old boats are cool!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Thanks for the kind words guys. Here is a link to a album https://goo.gl/photos/UWCw5f7cb4sQ4Z3N7

turbo addict

I bet that thing moves out pretty good with a 140. Gotta be close to 50mph?

turbo addict

SO COOL....love the size also.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

More for fishing? Did some one say "fishing?" Get it for fishing!
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    More for fishing? Did some one say "fishing?" Get it for fishing!
    I mean, you can fish out of any boat. Doesn't mean there aren't better tools for the job. Something like the little commando 151.

turbo addict

cryco marine made a lot of really nice boats both power and sail

barracuda sail boats were one of the nicest small sail boats made in the late 60's and early 70's

there weren't many cryco powered boats on our lake and actually seeing one go by was even more rare
    being a for sale thread I'll leave it at that and say it's nice to see one in such nice condition that even seems to run !!

our lake was about 2 miles long and shaped like a barbell & my cottage was in about the middle

on sunday evenings once most people had gone home for the week we used to get some pretty good passes by some of the "big boys" on the lake

the absolute king of the lake was a 16 foot sidewinder , flake blue with a silver stripe .. and a 300 black max hung off the back
    man.. when that thing went past , a mile into his run with nothing more than about a foot or two of hull ON the water .. holy smoke
    and that motor .. it hadda be six feet tall ..wow
    but when it wasn't moving it looked to be in serious danger of sinking stern first

there was another guy... for a while .. brown flaked ski boat with a 280 or 285 but it didn't last long
    his part of the lake was really shallow and he left the dock a little to hard one day with the motor trimed way up

yep he drove the motor right under the boat - 'course he hadda get the boat upside down to do it

me , I had to be content just being the fastest sailboat on the lake

Garrett booster

Yeah, those modern 4t outboards are obese monstrosity's to say the least. More than Double the weight !!!