Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

  1. #1
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 83scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    1,222

    Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    After JT sent the email yesterday about a GLHS being on Jay Leno's Garage last night, I decided to stay up an watch the episode.

    Of course I was upset that they kept calling it a GLH, when it wasn't, but more important, what is the history behind 001, other than it being the first one?

    I was pretty shocked when they showed the under-hood view, and saw that definitely is NOT a TII sitting in there. Even though they claimed the 175hp TII numbers.

    At first, I thought somebody had transplanted an SRT-4 motor into it, but after rewinding and pausing it several times, it looks to me like that car has one of the Han Hermann headed engines in it. Definitely a prototype cast Shelby intake that goes back over the head. TIII style A/C compressor. It's not a TIII, the valve covers aren't tall enough, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Masi motor either. I'm guessing that car is packing a lot more than 175 hp.

    So for those in the know, please enlighten me about this car.
    83 Scamp GT, 2.5 TII/A-520
    89 Dodge Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver

  2. #2
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    There is a lot of information found on google. Used to be a bunch of pictures, but photobucket changes stopped that.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=GLHS...utf-8&oe=utf-8

  3. #3
    Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    860

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    That one is just like mine.
    At least the headliner is.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 83scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    There is a lot of information found on google. Used to be a bunch of pictures, but photobucket changes stopped that.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=GLHS...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Thanks, I guess I should have done that research first.

    But it proves I was right. It does have a Hans Hermann head on it. I'm sure they didn't have the time in that clip to explain it, but would have been nice if they had their story straight. There is enough confusion/mis-information regarding these cars as it is without needing to add to it.

    But on a positive note, Jay seemed to be impressed with the power and handling of the car... As he should have been. I'm sure that engine is pumping out more like 230-250 hp, than the quoted 175.
    83 Scamp GT, 2.5 TII/A-520
    89 Dodge Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver

  5. #5
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wastelands of NJ
    Posts
    556

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    The intake manifold on that is pure sex!

  6. #6
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 83scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    The sad part is, that's what could have been if it hadn't been for bean counters...

    That setup was virtually production ready, and IMHO, WAY better than the Lotus setup. We could all have been running around in 16V cars in 86-87....
    83 Scamp GT, 2.5 TII/A-520
    89 Dodge Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver

  7. #7
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oakdale CT
    Posts
    2,339

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    The sad part is, that's what could have been if it hadn't been for bean counters...
    Too complex for production, which it was never meant to be.


    It is time, buckle up.

  8. #8
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    The sad part is, that's what could have been if it hadn't been for bean counters...
    Market wouldn't support itself. Look at all the 16 valve production cars, $33k TC, $20k Spirit and Daytona in late 1980 and early 1990's $$$.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 83scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Too complex for production, which it was never meant to be.
    Gary, I respect your opinion. You are a cornerstone of our hobby, but not sure I buy that one. The intake, maybe, but the head? It was a cam over bucket setup, and way simpler than the Lotus monstrosity Chrysler eventually went with. I know there was some growing pains with it, but everybody runs 16V heads now. And I'm not saying they should have run a Hans Hermann head, but a similar design, like the later 2.0/2.4 DOHC setup was more than feasable, even in late 80's $$$. You can't tell me Chrysler didn't use the lessons learned on this setup to develop the 2.0/2.4.

    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Market wouldn't support itself. Look at all the 16 valve production cars, $33k TC, $20k Spirit and Daytona in late 1980 and early 1990's $$$.
    I think it would have put Chrysler way ahead of the competition. Sure, there would be some additional start-up costs, and Chrysler probably wasn't in the best position to absorb that financially, but as we now know, it was the future of 4 cylinder engines...
    83 Scamp GT, 2.5 TII/A-520
    89 Dodge Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oakdale CT
    Posts
    2,339

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Gary, I respect your opinion. You are a cornerstone of our hobby, but not sure I buy that one. The intake, maybe, but the head? It was a cam over bucket setup, and way simpler than the Lotus monstrosity Chrysler eventually went with. I know there was some growing pains with it, but everybody runs 16V heads now. And I'm not saying they should have run a Hans Hermann head, but a similar design, like the later 2.0/2.4 DOHC setup was more than feasable, even in late 80's $$$. You can't tell me Chrysler didn't use the lessons learned on this setup to develop the 2.0/2.4.
    1) Several engineers came out and stated it was too complex for production- The head was a complex sandwich design, bucket lifters make service a nightmare and the intake wasn't practical for a production car. The accountants alone would have a stroke due to the complexity and small number of vehicles it would have been installed in.

    2) Of course Chrysler used lessons from the HH head and the Lotus 16V, that is what ultimately gave us the successful neon and SRT-4 variants.

    Don't have to squint to hard looking at the Neon 2.0 DOHC to see Lotus influences.


    It is time, buckle up.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Here is a link to some good pics if you haven't see them.

    Thanks
    Randy


    http://s267.photobucket.com/user/tea...ew=link&page=1


    Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

  12. #12
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    329

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Maybe someone here can prove/disprove this--there was a rumor awhile back that Leno owned a GLHS Charger but then sold it off--any truth to this? Is there an article or episode of JL Garage showing it?

    Also saw the episode (as referenced above) and read that Shelby's Omni had recently been heavily upgraded. Too bad they couldn't have upgraded the flappy headliner. What's up with that?

  13. #13
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    I've seen those photos before but never saw it has a 520 or 555 transmission.
    Last edited by ajakeski; 12-09-2017 at 01:10 PM.

  14. #14
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    8,902

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Well in the Leno Garage show he stated he'd never driven a GLHS so I don't think he'd had a charger one either.

    The Hans Herman head has been on GLHS 001 since it was new or soon after. So no recent mods to the car. Probably why the headliner is hanging.

  15. #15
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Well in the Leno Garage show he stated he'd never driven a GLHS so I don't think he'd had a charger one either.

  16. #16

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    I was really disappointed about their lack of knowledge.

    I went to the Shelby Museum in Las Vegas two years ago and ended up giving the Shelby Dodge portion of the tour. A lot of people came up to me afterwards and asked a lot of questions about the Shelby Dodges.

    Cheers.

  17. #17
    We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Near Detroit MI
    Posts
    4,574

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    As far as work done on GLHS #001 ...

    Talking to Steve Thornton via Shelby Registry, and he said he had some work to do on the car. It involved massive clean up effort that was never done, but always planned, just to make it all alright. He was going to do the work to the car himself. I had many conversations with him on Team Shelby (and also some privately) and he was enthused on the opportunity to finally get the car right. Now this was a couple years before Shelby passed on, so who knows how much he got done before then. I do know that he was still, and is still, with Team Shelby looking after Shelby's cars, but this was all before the recent sell off of most of the vehicles (which were part of Shelby's private collection).


    Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T



    For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance


  18. #18
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    935

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    After JT sent the email yesterday about a GLHS being on Jay Leno's Garage last night, I decided to stay up an watch the episode.

    Of course I was upset that they kept calling it a GLH, when it wasn't, but more important, what is the history behind 001, other than it being the first one?

    I was pretty shocked when they showed the under-hood view, and saw that definitely is NOT a TII sitting in there. Even though they claimed the 175hp TII numbers.

    At first, I thought somebody had transplanted an SRT-4 motor into it, but after rewinding and pausing it several times, it looks to me like that car has one of the Han Hermann headed engines in it. Definitely a prototype cast Shelby intake that goes back over the head. TIII style A/C compressor. It's not a TIII, the valve covers aren't tall enough, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Masi motor either. I'm guessing that car is packing a lot more than 175 hp.

    So for those in the know, please enlighten me about this car.
    lol your post made me think - ahhh must be a newbee

    I have somewhere a mopar mag from the late 80's early 90's with an article on the car
    - has the H-H head and specifically at the time NO shelby limited slip as they thought it would rip the spotwelds outta the front end

    though if it has a 555 and the shelby LS was for the 525 that would be redundant .. but that's as I remember reading it in the day

  19. #19
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SoCal the OC
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    So as it turns out, before Carroll passed substantial work was done on 86 001 by the SoCal Shelby club membership, it now has a 568/Quaife transmission. a few other tweaks as well. My 64K question is, where did it end up? Not part of the Bonhams auction. Cleo has it maybe? Dunno.

    AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

  20. #20
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,266

    Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    lol your post made me think - ahhh must be a newbee

    I have somewhere a mopar mag from the late 80's early 90's with an article on the car
    - has the H-H head and specifically at the time NO shelby limited slip as they thought it would rip the spotwelds outta the front end

    though if it has a 555 and the shelby LS was for the 525 that would be redundant .. but that's as I remember reading it in the day
    There were Shelby viscous coupling limited slip diffs made for the 555s. There were two other types made for them also.

Similar Threads

  1. General Gary Donovan's ongoing garage sale & 87 GLHS part out.
    By mopar-tech in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM
  2. 87 Glhs 433- now in my garage!
    By bill2 in forum Shelby Models - Whittier Factory Cars
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 05:15 PM
  3. General Cleaning out Garage (L-body/GLHS SC parts)
    By 1983Rampage in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 04:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •