Thread: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

After JT sent the email yesterday about a GLHS being on Jay Leno's Garage last night, I decided to stay up an watch the episode.

Of course I was upset that they kept calling it a GLH, when it wasn't, but more important, what is the history behind 001, other than it being the first one?

I was pretty shocked when they showed the under-hood view, and saw that definitely is NOT a TII sitting in there. Even though they claimed the 175hp TII numbers.

At first, I thought somebody had transplanted an SRT-4 motor into it, but after rewinding and pausing it several times, it looks to me like that car has one of the Han Hermann headed engines in it. Definitely a prototype cast Shelby intake that goes back over the head. TIII style A/C compressor. It's not a TIII, the valve covers aren't tall enough, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Masi motor either. I'm guessing that car is packing a lot more than 175 hp.

So for those in the know, please enlighten me about this car.

turbo addict

Re: Jay Leno's Garage & GLHS #001

There is a lot of information found on google. Used to be a bunch of pictures, but photobucket changes stopped that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GLHS...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

That one is just like mine.
    At least the headliner is.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    There is a lot of information found on google. Used to be a bunch of pictures, but photobucket changes stopped that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GLHS...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Thanks, I guess I should have done that research first.

But it proves I was right. It does have a Hans Hermann head on it. I'm sure they didn't have the time in that clip to explain it, but would have been nice if they had their story straight. There is enough confusion/mis-information regarding these cars as it is without needing to add to it.

But on a positive note, Jay seemed to be impressed with the power and handling of the car... As he should have been. I'm sure that engine is pumping out more like 230-250 hp, than the quoted 175.

Hybrid booster

The intake manifold on that is pure sex!

The sad part is, that's what could have been if it hadn't been for bean counters...

That setup was virtually production ready, and IMHO, WAY better than the Lotus setup. We could all have been running around in 16V cars in 86-87....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    The sad part is, that's what could have been if it hadn't been for bean counters...
    Too complex for production, which it was never meant to be.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

Market wouldn't support itself. Look at all the 16 valve production cars, $33k TC, $20k Spirit and Daytona in late 1980 and early 1990's $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Too complex for production, which it was never meant to be.
    Gary, I respect your opinion. You are a cornerstone of our hobby, but not sure I buy that one. The intake, maybe, but the head? It was a cam over bucket setup, and way simpler than the Lotus monstrosity Chrysler eventually went with. I know there was some growing pains with it, but everybody runs 16V heads now. And I'm not saying they should have run a Hans Hermann head, but a similar design, like the later 2.0/2.4 DOHC setup was more than feasable, even in late 80's $$$. You can't tell me Chrysler didn't use the lessons learned on this setup to develop the 2.0/2.4.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Market wouldn't support itself. Look at all the 16 valve production cars, $33k TC, $20k Spirit and Daytona in late 1980 and early 1990's $$$.
    I think it would have put Chrysler way ahead of the competition. Sure, there would be some additional start-up costs, and Chrysler probably wasn't in the best position to absorb that financially, but as we now know, it was the future of 4 cylinder engines...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Gary, I respect your opinion. You are a cornerstone of our hobby, but not sure I buy that one. The intake, maybe, but the head? It was a cam over bucket setup, and way simpler than the Lotus monstrosity Chrysler eventually went with. I know there was some growing pains with it, but everybody runs 16V heads now. And I'm not saying they should have run a Hans Hermann head, but a similar design, like the later 2.0/2.4 DOHC setup was more than feasable, even in late 80's $$$. You can't tell me Chrysler didn't use the lessons learned on this setup to develop the 2.0/2.4.
    1) Several engineers came out and stated it was too complex for production- The head was a complex sandwich design, bucket lifters make service a nightmare and the intake wasn't practical for a production car. The accountants alone would have a stroke due to the complexity and small number of vehicles it would have been installed in.

2) Of course Chrysler used lessons from the HH head and the Lotus 16V, that is what ultimately gave us the successful neon and SRT-4 variants.

Don't have to squint to hard looking at the Neon 2.0 DOHC to see Lotus influences.

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Here is a link to some good pics if you haven't see them.

Thanks
    Randy

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/tea...ew=link&page=1

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

Maybe someone here can prove/disprove this--there was a rumor awhile back that Leno owned a GLHS Charger but then sold it off--any truth to this? Is there an article or episode of JL Garage showing it?

Also saw the episode (as referenced above) and read that Shelby's Omni had recently been heavily upgraded. Too bad they couldn't have upgraded the flappy headliner. What's up with that?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I've seen those photos before but never saw it has a 520 or 555 transmission.
    Last edited by ajakeski; 12-09-2017 at 01:10 PM.

turbo addict

Well in the Leno Garage show he stated he'd never driven a GLHS so I don't think he'd had a charger one either.

The Hans Herman head has been on GLHS 001 since it was new or soon after. So no recent mods to the car. Probably why the headliner is hanging.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Well in the Leno Garage show he stated he'd never driven a GLHS so I don't think he'd had a charger one either.

I was really disappointed about their lack of knowledge.

I went to the Shelby Museum in Las Vegas two years ago and ended up giving the Shelby Dodge portion of the tour. A lot of people came up to me afterwards and asked a lot of questions about the Shelby Dodges.

Cheers.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

As far as work done on GLHS #001 ...

Talking to Steve Thornton via Shelby Registry, and he said he had some work to do on the car. It involved massive clean up effort that was never done, but always planned, just to make it all alright. He was going to do the work to the car himself. I had many conversations with him on Team Shelby (and also some privately) and he was enthused on the opportunity to finally get the car right. Now this was a couple years before Shelby passed on, so who knows how much he got done before then. I do know that he was still, and is still, with Team Shelby looking after Shelby's cars, but this was all before the recent sell off of most of the vehicles (which were part of Shelby's private collection).

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

After JT sent the email yesterday about a GLHS being on Jay Leno's Garage last night, I decided to stay up an watch the episode.

Of course I was upset that they kept calling it a GLH, when it wasn't, but more important, what is the history behind 001, other than it being the first one?

I was pretty shocked when they showed the under-hood view, and saw that definitely is NOT a TII sitting in there. Even though they claimed the 175hp TII numbers.

At first, I thought somebody had transplanted an SRT-4 motor into it, but after rewinding and pausing it several times, it looks to me like that car has one of the Han Hermann headed engines in it. Definitely a prototype cast Shelby intake that goes back over the head. TIII style A/C compressor. It's not a TIII, the valve covers aren't tall enough, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Masi motor either. I'm guessing that car is packing a lot more than 175 hp.

So for those in the know, please enlighten me about this car.
    lol your post made me think - ahhh must be a newbee

I have somewhere a mopar mag from the late 80's early 90's with an article on the car
    - has the H-H head and specifically at the time NO shelby limited slip as they thought it would rip the spotwelds outta the front end

though if it has a 555 and the shelby LS was for the 525 that would be redundant .. but that's as I remember reading it in the day

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So as it turns out, before Carroll passed substantial work was done on 86 001 by the SoCal Shelby club membership, it now has a 568/Quaife transmission. a few other tweaks as well. My 64K question is, where did it end up? Not part of the Bonhams auction. Cleo has it maybe? Dunno.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    lol your post made me think - ahhh must be a newbee

I have somewhere a mopar mag from the late 80's early 90's with an article on the car
    - has the H-H head and specifically at the time NO shelby limited slip as they thought it would rip the spotwelds outta the front end

though if it has a 555 and the shelby LS was for the 525 that would be redundant .. but that's as I remember reading it in the day
    There were Shelby viscous coupling limited slip diffs made for the 555s. There were two other types made for them also.