Thread: 1986 Dodge Omni GLH T

Mitsu booster

Exclamation 1986 Dodge Omni GLH T

Location 48232 (west bloomfield MI)

What you're looking at is a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo.

Originally a southern car, it has always been and still is rust free. I bought this in 2005 and have since torn it down and built it back up, restoring it along the way. As far the running gear goes, stats are as follows:

Engine: '89 2.2 block from a Shelby Z, bored .020”, Turbo II connecting rods, Silvolite pistons, total seal rings. Super 60 Camshaft done by Competition cams, Mopar Performance valve springs, ’85 "G Head" with Mopar Performance IMSA valves, ported/polished by Forward Motion. Port matched Shelby 2pc intake, 52mm Holley throttle body, +20% injectors, turbo XS blow off, Super 60 Intercooler, Shelby GLHS (one of 500) valve cover, Forward Motion underdrive crank pulley, .63 A/R turbine housing with a larger wheel and compressor wheel, Mopar Performance motor mounts. Full 3" custom exhaust with a Magnaflow 4" stainless non bullet style tube muffler that exits under the rear driver side door. Forward Motion adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and secondary external fuel pump. Stage 2 Computer, new logic module, new ECU, 2.5 bar map sensor. MSD ignition system, MSD coil, NGK plugs and wires. Battery relocated to rear with body mounted kill switch.

It turned 284hp/305lbs on the dyno pushing 20lbs of boost. At 12-14, it pulls around 246hp, which is plenty on the street.

Trans: Cable shifted Getrag A-555 from an 89 Shelby Z. MRX performance Kevlar 6 Puck Clutch.

Suspension: Custom built adjustable coil overs. Alignment done 08/16. Also have Shelby Z rear disc brake set up and Daytona Big brake hubs in boxes (not installed but included in sale)

Wheels/Tires: Professionally widened staggered VR6 VW Corrado steelies on new Yokohama tires.

Body: Modified bumper brackets to shorten bumper offsets by 3" front and rear, shortened bumper corners as well. Custom made badge-less grille, removed belt molding trim and sealed attachment holes in hatch. New hatch pistons, Hood bracing internals removed for weight savings, front and rear wheel wells rolled and slightly flared, body has never had any rust work performed, as it is and has always been 100% rust free. New gloss black paint and factory decals in 2012.

Interior: In excellent shape, with a Mooneyes Racing metal flake 13" steering wheel. (original steering wheel included) Auto Meter Boost and Electronic Oil Pressure gauges, AutoMeter shift light. New headliner, new carpet and super nice factory seats. Just had drivers seat modified at an upholstery shop to increase the bolstering without changing the look to give a bit more driver support. No radio, and the HVAC is not hooked up (If you are looking for lots of creature comforts this car is not for you), but the essentials; wipers, rear defog, lights etc, all work. I took the center stack and console out and left the polished shifter bracket exposed since I like the race car inspired look, but the console comes with the car. Shifter handle is a real, (albeit decommissioned) grenade with handle actuated reverse lockout. I have a simple stainless ball shift knob that i'll include if the grenade's not your thing. (Why a grenade? Back in the days of first owing the car, my non-car appreciating buddies used to refer to it as the "Bombni" because it was so loud and rowdy that they joked that it threatened to explode at any given minute. When I finally got to building it up, I thought the grenade was a fitting piece to include., though I have a stock shifter assembly in the box of extras that come with the car if the Grenade’s not your thing.)
    Overall Condition:
    The pictures speak for themselves. The car is in very nice, very straight shape. I wouldn't call it a show car, for the simple fact that I drive it, so it's got a few small rock chips in the paint. It is turn key reliable, and now that the weather is nice I have driven it plenty with no issues. I recently took it to the shop that I've always trusted to work on it (Horse Power Techs in Clinton Twp, MI) to look it over and give it a general once over, and almost $2k later it's got a tune up, new timing belt, tensioner, valve cover gasket, fuel rail, new +20 injectors, seals, gaskets etc...(you know the slippery slope if you're into modified cars.) If nothing else, I’m happy with the fact that I have piece of mind now that if it sells, it's in top mechanical shape.

This car is a blast and over the decade that I've owned it, it never ceases to get nods smiles and occasionally a sideways glance from people who don't realize how quick it can be. Now, if you are looking for a car with all the bells and whistles, look elsewhere. This car is loud, rowdy, and a roll cage shy of full blown race car. The suspension is stiff, so you feel the road... and every crack/change in it. The motor runs really well, and the turbo pulls hard. It's a two thousand and change pound car pushing almost 300hp, which is extremely fun and mildly terrifying at the same time.

Issues:
    It's a mid-eighties Dodge k-car, so don't be surprised that it's got some typical normal quality issues of mid-eighties k-cars; (sticky door handle pull, sloppy window tracks, various rattles). The only other issue that I can think of worth mentioning is there is a little bit of syncro grind as you shift into 5th. It's not bad, and doesn't effect or threaten to hurt anything, but it's there if ya listen for it. Also, the speedometer intermittently stops working... and recently it's stopped completely- Most likely a speedo cable. These are small issues, and perhaps I am over describing the car, but I would rather put everything out there, than have anyone unhappy with any aspect of it.

This car is very fast, pretty rare, and I'd like to think that it's modified tastefully enough to have a wide appeal. Nothing is beyond putting it back to a seemingly stock appearance with some suspension coil adjustments and stock GLH wheels. I really would love to hang on to this car, but other projects are waiting, and it's time to let it go. I have a file of thousands of dollars in receipts as well as the Dyno tuning sheets, schematics, articles etc. that goes with it as well as boxes of extra parts. I welcome any questions and would be happy to show the car.

9850 obo (if you don’t like my price, please feel free to not consider buying it, but keep the negative comments to yourself.

Email:Piscitellidesign@gmail.com
    Call/Text: 248 409 8142
    IG: @Piscitellidesign

Extra parts that come with it:

[B]**More photos to come, including undercarriage shots showing how clean/solid it is

Re: 1986 Dodge Omni GLH T

I absolutely love your car and it is one hell of a build! I was so inspired when I found your build thread on Stanceworks that I started searching for another GLH, after having been without one for years. Best of luck with the sell!!!

btw, you don't happen to have an Omni roll cage laying around, do you?!

turbo addict

You should have brought the car to SDAC National convention this past June, it was held in metro Detroit. I would have been a great place to showcase your nice GLHT.
    GLWS,
    Todd

turbo addict

Valve cover is off either a Shelby Lancer, or an 89 CSX-VNT, I can't recall if the 87 Shelby Charger GLHS got the black wrinkle Shelby VC, But the 86 S cars had a regular turbo VC.

Are the rear brakes from an 87-88 Daytona ShelbyZ or from an 89 Daytona Shelby? Yes there's a big difference in the brakes. The 87-88 ShelbyZ brakes are junk. The 89 vented Shelby Brakes are awesome but must be coupled with the larger fronts or rear lock-up and spinouts have happened to l-bodies equipped this way.

Nice looking car, If I was in the market for a GLHT I'd be very interested.

Nice ride.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Drool! Fantastic build there.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Is that first pic at the Corner Coney in downtown RO?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Is that first pic at the Corner Coney in downtown RO?
    Hunter House