Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to get into gear

Garrett booster

Re: Hard to get into gear

Back from the dead but I wanted to add some troubleshooting info here.

My bet is on the clutch not disengaging all the way.

A simple way to test this is with the engine running and stopped SLOWLY push the shifter into any gear.

Does it grind a little as it goes into gear? Remember, push the selector SLOWLY into any gear.

If it barks at all the clutch isn't disengaging.

Garrett booster

So I finally figured it out, kind of...

When I removed the previous transmission, which was supposedly original, it had ATF. After installing this rebuilt unit I filled it with 5w-30. I know dodge switched to recommending motor oil from the factory but i figured I would give atf a try. Today I drain the conventional 5w30 motor oil and replaced it with 2.5 quarts of ATF. Now it shifts through all gears with no problem.

I know most people on here use motor oil without problem so I'm not sure why it gave me issues. Could i have over filled it? Oil draining out looked very clean.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Jones View Post
    So I finally figured it out, kind of...

When I removed the previous transmission, which was supposedly original, it had ATF. After installing this rebuilt unit I filled it with 5w-30. I know dodge switched to recommending motor oil from the factory but i figured I would give atf a try. Today I drain the conventional 5w30 motor oil and replaced it with 2.5 quarts of ATF. Now it shifts through all gears with no problem.

I know most people on here use motor oil without problem so I'm not sure why it gave me issues. Could i have over filled it? Oil draining out looked very clean.

was it synthetic motor oil? ive see a few dodge 5 speeds grind on synthetic motor oil. swap to conventional or drain a little and add a little bit of conventional and they shift just fine.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The synchros can't cut through the synthetic oil well enough to speed match the next gear. The grooves on the cone side of the brass synchro rings are supposed to cut through the oil film, grab the next gear and get it up to the speed of the current gear to make changing gears easier.
    You may have some worn synchro rings.

turbo addict

thanks ^ it's nice to read the actual issue with the synthetic and synchros

I've read the synthetic won't work with the older 525-555 synchros but the later 523-568 it's not so much a problem with the different synchros

with atf in my old 525 , in winter I'd back out of the driveway , put it in first and drive around the corner , two doors over and through the neighbourhood to the stop sign

thing is I would not be able to get it out of first till I stoped
    after that first stop it would work fine every time

later when I took out the half of the 1-2 fork that had broken off , I replaced the missing fork pad on the remaining fork arm and reassembeled the trans

at this time I switched to motor oil and dammit that trans with half of a 1-2 fork drove and shifted better than it ever did .. even before the fork broke

later I replaced the fork while rebuilding the trans ,, the 525 that went on to be kill proof for 6 years and 6 motors

when a trans with a broken fork actually works better than ever with a simple change from atf to oil , that says a lot

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    ,, the 525 that went on to be kill proof for 6 years and 6 motors
    How did you kill an engine per year lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

200 hp motor
    1000 hp attitude

and castrol motor oil
    I switched to Q-state and the spun bearing issues went away

castrol , 5,10-30 and even 20-50 would thin out so much when warmed up it wouldn't even cling to the dipstick so that a level showed

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    thanks ^ it's nice to read the actual issue with the synthetic and synchros

I've read the synthetic won't work with the older 525-555 synchros but the later 523-568 it's not so much a problem with the different synchros

with atf in my old 525 , in winter I'd back out of the driveway , put it in first and drive around the corner , two doors over and through the neighbourhood to the stop sign

thing is I would not be able to get it out of first till I stoped
    after that first stop it would work fine every time

later when I took out the half of the 1-2 fork that had broken off , I replaced the missing fork pad on the remaining fork arm and reassembeled the trans

at this time I switched to motor oil and dammit that trans with half of a 1-2 fork drove and shifted better than it ever did .. even before the fork broke

later I replaced the fork while rebuilding the trans ,, the 525 that went on to be kill proof for 6 years and 6 motors

when a trans with a broken fork actually works better than ever with a simple change from atf to oil , that says a lot
    Only the 1/2 synchro changed in the 523/568 transmissions. The rest of them are the same.

turbo addict

roger that thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12