Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Piece Porting

Re: Two Piece Porting

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I didn't open mine up as far as some of these other guys. What I did was made a template so I could trace the outlines of the runners from one half to the other, and then matched them all up. They're not quite all the way to the gasket, but the transition is as smooth as I could get it. Then I smoothed the runners of the lower half as far as I could get with the tools I have, and smoothed the tops of the runners inside the plenum to make them more funnel shaped, if that's possible. The bottoms of the runners themselves I also made templates for and matched them to the ports on the head.

As for the throttle body, I chose a 52mm. I took the blade out, bolted it together, and traced the transition. I ported that and made the transition very smooth, and then smoothed that into the neck as far as possible. I also tapped the EGR hole for an aluminum plug, which I turned in just far enough to protrude into the neck, and then ground that smooth.

Now this has yet to go onto a running car, so I have no information as to how it will work.

Would that be the rare 5-rib intake that some of us saw at SDAC-19?
    I think that was the one off that Ken had built personally. But it may have been the idea Andy is mentioning.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Would that be the rare 5-rib intake that some of us saw at SDAC-19?
    As Jon said, that is the one that Ken (5DIGITS) fabricated. And it was done just to get the plenum larger volume. The extra material (and extra rib) was added to the rear of the stock plenum.

What Andy was referring to was explained further by Stu Davis at SDAC-27 this year. The plenum size was so large that it hung out over the valve cover, restricting access to the injectors and the valve cover itself. The TB was mounted on a long runner that put the TB just behind the radiator.

BTW, according to Ken, the optimum porting on the two-piece lower starts at the intake port and expands to the top of the runner at an angle of no more than 7 degrees. This makes an opening at the top of the runner that is far less than the gasket size mating to the top half of the intake, but still keeps the "tuning" aspect of the runners in the correct rpm/flow pattern.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    As Jon said, that is the one that Ken (5DIGITS) fabricated. And it was done just to get the plenum larger volume. The extra material (and extra rib) was added to the rear of the stock plenum.

What Andy was referring to was explained further by Stu Davis at SDAC-27 this year. The plenum size was so large that it hung out over the valve cover, restricting access to the injectors and the valve cover itself. The TB was mounted on a long runner that put the TB just behind the radiator.

BTW, according to Ken, the optimum porting on the two-piece lower starts at the intake port and expands to the top of the runner at an angle of no more than 7 degrees. This makes an opening at the top of the runner that is far less than the gasket size mating to the top half of the intake, but still keeps the "tuning" aspect of the runners in the correct rpm/flow pattern.

Barry
    Good info Barry!

Also keep in mind that how large the top of that runner will become is in direct relation to the size of the port at the head

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Stock, there is a kink where the lower and upper meet; it is not a smooth arc. A 3/8" or even a 1/2" phenolic spacer plate adds some distance to help ya smooth that kink out as you open up the upper. It also helps keep the lower half's heat from the upper half. Still fits under the hood of an Omni too. I used an inside divider and a large diameter curved rat tail file for finishing.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What are these made out of anyway? My father and I will be doing a little welding soon and he's wondering so he can buy rod.

Hybrid booster

not sure exactly. some type of aluminum.
    Dropped it off with a guy i have around the corner and he welded it up. no questions asked.
    Then hit the holes with a drill press and flat bit .
    Then used button head allen bolts.

That's pretty much my plan. I just need to know what rod would work best.

OK, I'm pretty much done with the porting now. The last thing I need to do before bolting it back on the engine is to replace the cap at the end of the upper half. It was missing when I came into possession of the manifold. Does anyone know of a PN to use when tracking down a replacement? I'm assuming that a little anaerobic sealer and perhaps a light staking is all that's needed to hold it in place?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I remember someone asking about that plug before. I don't think it was ever a seperate service part from Chrysler. You may have to hit up your local machine shop to see if they can source a core plug that large.

Well, that's not a good sign then. It was nice that it was out when I started because I could see what was going on in there much more readily. However, I wouldn't have taken it out myself. Ups and downs I guess.

The plug was just there for the casting process. You can make a plug and weld it shut too.

turbo addict

Guys the plug was available separately from Mopar and it is a very common core plug. Mopar # is/was 4343924 and Dorman # is 555-084. 2.250" is the size. I remove mine everytime I port a manifold. Lots of crap gets stuck in those corners of the manifold.
    Todd

I'm having a hard time tracking down that mopar PN. Did they come black like the factory pieces? To me it would be worth it to get one of those rather than finish off a plain piece.

When you reinstall them, you just use anaerobic right?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I was doing a little 2 piece porting myself today. Turns out if you want to run a 58mm TB it is a LOT of welding and a LOT of cutting! I had my buddy TIG weld fill it, i did the first port session inside and outside, then had him add a,second session of weld fill. Followed by more grinding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180225_124816.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	771.5 KB 
ID:	62218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180225_115615.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	966.1 KB 
ID:	62219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180225_115546.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	980.9 KB 
ID:	62220  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I know when I ported mine the plug was in stock at my local Car-quest; it shouldn't be too hard to find. As for sealer, I'd just use whatever you use for the core plugs on your engine block. It should press in just like those do, so I wouldn't worry about staking or anything.

Should have asked Todd first!

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-555-08.../dp/B0011N3746

HAlf as much here:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Engine-Expans...-084/173922630

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Guys the plug was available separately from Mopar and it is a very common core plug. Mopar # is/was 4343924 and Dorman # is 555-084. 2.250" is the size. I remove mine everytime I port a manifold. Lots of crap gets stuck in those corners of the manifold.
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Pffft, Todd. What's that guy know? I mean other than he has come thru twice for me in the last couple weeks with two different solutions.?.. And maybe a dozen times over the years but other than that, pffft, what's that guy know;-)

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Thanks for the links. I ordered the one off of eBay. For four bucks you can’t beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Pffft, Todd. What's that guy know? I mean other than he has come thru twice for me in the last couple weeks with two different solutions.?.. And maybe a dozen times over the years but other than that, pffft, what's that guy know;-)
    Yeah, it’s not like he’s forgotten more than I’ll ever know about getting performance out of these cars.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Ed Peters claimed the plug should be installed backwards.

Phoenix 97 maybe??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Ed Peters claimed the plug should be installed backwards.

Phoenix 97 maybe??

Thanks
    Randy
    maybee a smige more plenum ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast