Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Two Piece Porting

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Two Piece Porting

That would be well worth $40 to say the least. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself if I could find a deal like that. Around here I don't think I could get either of the shops in the area to set it up for $40, let alone cut it.

Hybrid booster

cash in hand beer money buddy at the shop deal.
    a trick i used on my neck was I bought a 58mm cue ball well. 57.1mm like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Age...zmrr:rk:3:pf:0

and ground my neck and welded untill i was able to get the ball to flow down into the intake. and then back out.
    my main pinch point was the lower area of the turn on the neck. about 7-8 o clock if looking at the flange.

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    cash in hand beer money buddy at the shop deal.
    a trick i used on my neck was I bought a 58mm cue ball well. 57.1mm like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Age...zmrr:rk:3:pf:0

and ground my neck and welded untill i was able to get the ball to flow down into the intake. and then back out.
    my main pinch point was the lower area of the turn on the neck. about 7-8 o clock if looking at the flange.
    That's a good idea. I do have a pool table...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Since you can only lay down so much material/filler rod per pass, the welding needs to be done in layers. Think of your manifold like as topographic map. In the 'center areas' where you need the most weld material, I have 4 layers of weld. near the outside edges of the weld a single layer is fine. Also go much broader/more area than you think you gonna need, then do a second layer inside the margins of the first, then third is smaller etc, Only the deep divots in the neck(we're still talking about a TII intake right?) need that fourth fill.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Thanks for the tips AJ. I really appreciate it.

Garrett booster

Hello All,

I am looking to port a 2-piece manifold for my 89 Daytona. So I found this thread has great information. I have never ported before. I happen to like the idea of using different diameter balls for checking the progress of the grinding. So if I go to utilize the different size balls, what size is best to start with and what size would I end up with without grinding through the walls etc? I am not looking to build a race engine lol just port it enough to make a difference with a 52mm throttle body.
    Any other ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you..

What is your goal HP wise?

Garrett booster

I don't have a particular number guessing maybe 300's. I have a ported head I would like to use. I'm not sure of the flow of the head. So here is the thing:
    The valves are MP stainless backcut standard size. I would like to go to +1s but no one has them right now.
    I just got this 2 piece intake and would like to port it. Probably mildly.
    I am currently running at 20 lbs boost with a boost controller and +20 injectors and 3 bar map.
    I have a cal on the computer.
    I do have the MP polished ported one piece intake with a 52mm throttle body.
    I think the turbo is a newer stock size.
    The car runs well and I drive to Carlisle from NC each year without any big issues. But do have an increase of temperature (220) when going uphill and when in boost.
    My super 60 intercooler is in the front. I am going to put on a lot larger intercooler any day now. I think I am heat soaking the intake air. I actually want to place 2 vents from a Dodge 600 in the hood to help get the super hot air out of the engine area.
    The head that is currently on it is a Chinese head so I want to change it to the 782 ported head I have.
    Would love to chat about it.
    Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

With a stock turbo, I would probably just open up the TB area to 52mm and call it a day. If you want to get crazy, you can remove a good amount of the humps for the bolt holes in the lower half without having to have the back side welded up. The stock two piece can do about 350HP max without being ported. That doesn't mean that it's efficiently working at that point, but they can do it.

On mine, I ended up matching the gasket going up into the plenum and at the top of the lower half. I'm going to weld up the back side, and completely remove the humps, etc. From what I've heard that can get you very near the capabilities of some of the upper plenums which have been offered over the years.

Garrett booster

I agree with doing the minimum.
    Thank you!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Interesting read through. On my 2 piece, since my goal is simply a fun street car, not a race car, I made my own gasket to match the runners rather than use the one in the manifold kit from Fel-Pro. I made it against the top half, then laid it on the lower half and there was not visible mismatch in any of the runners.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    Interesting read through. On my 2 piece, since my goal is simply a fun street car, not a race car, I made my own gasket to match the runners rather than use the one in the manifold kit from Fel-Pro. I made it against the top half, then laid it on the lower half and there was not visible mismatch in any of the runners.
    Right way to do it
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Right way to do it
    So your saying you didn't have to port anything on the lower half? I've probably ported minimum of 30-2 piece intakes, and IN EVERY CASE SO FAR, the #4 runner needed some work with die grinder because of the huge amount of core shift they all seem to have. Some are off like .250"in spots!
    I always weld up the lower and remove 100% of the bump in the runner then run 60mm allen head socketed bolts. You just need to trim bolts a couple mm in the 4 intake threads that intersect the head bolt holes. That provides a bunch more thread engagement than the stock bolts. At a minimum, check to make sure your intake bolts are 57mm long. That is what came on the 2 piece manifolds to begin with, but often times they've been switched out with shorter 1 piece, or even shorter yet log manifold bolts. Using the shorter bolts almost guarantees thread pull out due to not enough thread engagement.

Todd, how much do you think there is to gain with a stock turbo and removing the humps vs. not doing so?

Garrett booster

Cordes, good question. I am looking forward to Todd's response.
    So you used an 1 7/8" flexible hon? I am looking to buy the size or sizes that would allow me to do a decent porting job without too much welding. So what size would I start with and of course end with. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason89 View Post
    Cordes, good question. I am looking forward to Todd's response.
    So you used an 1 7/8" flexible hon? I am looking to buy the size or sizes that would allow me to do a decent porting job without too much welding. So what size would I start with and of course end with. Thank you!
    In retrospect, I would have purchased a smaller hone. It was too tight for my ports given the little curve which takes place in the runner. The end result was good, but the hone barely made it through the one intake manifold. I would probably contact their customer service to get a recommendation once you arrive at your desired dia for your ports.

turbo addict

That's roughly how I did a light port on my old intake. There was a large mismatch in the shape of the runners which caused a step for the airflow to overcome when entering the lower portion. I had a piece of gasket material that squished well and held that shape so I could see where the overlap was. I got rid of the 'step' that was obvious in each runner and generally smoothed things out with sanding rolls on my Dremel. The rest of the top end was stock aside from a .63 turbine housing, so no reason to get too involved, I just wanted it to be more efficient. Sold it to a friend and he's making well over 300 with it these days.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Well guys I'm all about porting cylinder heads to make them work as well as possible. That continues on with the intake manifold and exhaust manifold too. Air doesn't like going around corners or being disturbed, so anything you can do to combat that is a gain. I agree with you Brian the gains will be smaller with a lower HP car, but even removing some of the hump in the intake pinch area (without welding) will help even a stocker.
    Buy yourself a nice flame tipped non-ferrous carbide bit (see attachment) and it will work great for you. Finish it off with some 80 grit sand rolls and you'll be golden.
    If you do any porting, clean the intake well BEFORE porting, so chips don't embed themselves in oil and crud in the plenum. Probably overkill, but I always knock out the core plug so I can verify it is clean. 2.250" core plugs are readily available.
    Also heed warning about asbestos in post #84 of this thread. We know it is a killer, and that's no joke.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3122-CARBIDE-BURR-NON-FERROUS-1-4-SHANKS-OVAL-SHAPE.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	64644  

turbo addict

Also heed warning about asbestos in post #84 of this thread. We know it is a killer, and that's no joke.

I lived in the same house for 47 years ..from 2 - 50

I remember my room and being in the crib
    I remember the washer & dryer in the basement corner and all the dryer lint on the wall & cealing .. no vent to the outside ...

the winter I was 6 I had my first major asthma attack - they kept me for the week..

lanudry .. yep , right under my room

house having board floors , had gaps between the boards ,, especially along the underside of the baseboards where there was no floor tile
    yeah .. vinyl / asbestos floor tiles to boot..

red type was a "reply with quote thing"

I had an a-ha moment while restoring the house to sell

this and the black mold I suddenly recalled from childhood in the front window frame - when I cut into it through years of paint jobs
    ..there was a smell in the living room as a kid ..
    and I had allergies that made me almost homicidally nasty when acting up
    ..no , not kidding
    seasonal allergies all my life , until the spring I moved out

exposure is one thing ..repeated constant exposure to anything in the air is dangerous

if basement ceilings are not finished , pulling down the cold air returns to wash them out after ten or twenty years would be wise .. ya don't ever wanna see 40 years worth of dog hair and dust.. not there..
    my buddy looked in the duct .. screamed like a little girl and dropped the end of the duct he lifted to see....

round my house the cigarette was just an air filter .. XXX

now .. you MIGHT wanna go toss all the other half's plug in air freshener (crap) in the trash and let her read why you just did it right here

(like ...DERRRRR....)

Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 02-19-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Garrett booster

Cordes, Do you think I can start with a 1-3/4" ball hon since the 1-7/8" you mentioned is to large?
    Thanks

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast