Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

  1. #21
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    8,974

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    Hope you informed them that was the almost 1 off Hans Herman setup and not a stock engine.

  2. #22
    Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Warsaw, NY
    Posts
    8,346

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    looks awesome.

    did you block the mice entry points?

    on my reliant, i took the dash apart every so many years cause critters would always go in.

    they stopped getting in when i covered the HVAC box entry and the vent holes behind the kick panels with hardware cloth.

    on a K body, i also noticed that from behind the fenders, there is access to the a pillars so mice can run down the upper front frame "rails" behind the fenders and climb up the a pillars and get into the car that way too.

    so i squirted spray foam in the a pillars. havent had a single mouse since.

    Brian

    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

  3. #23
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    590

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    looks awesome.

    did you block the mice entry points?

    on my reliant, i took the dash apart every so many years cause critters would always go in.

    they stopped getting in when i covered the HVAC box entry and the vent holes behind the kick panels with hardware cloth.

    on a K body, i also noticed that from behind the fenders, there is access to the a pillars so mice can run down the upper front frame "rails" behind the fenders and climb up the a pillars and get into the car that way too.

    so i squirted spray foam in the a pillars. havent had a single mouse since.

    Brian
    This car is in a brand new, rodent free garage, so I'm hoping I don't have any further issues. I did however, do those same types of things (used metal screening material from an old house door screen) to block off the heater box inlet, the cowl drip holes and the kick panel passages in my shadow convertible project because that car is still in the old garage (no room in new garage!). I see rodent tracks on it, but so far nothing showing up in it!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Hope you informed them that was the almost 1 off Hans Herman setup and not a stock engine.
    Yup - I 'splained it all to them

  4. #24
    Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Warsaw, NY
    Posts
    8,346

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    This car is in a brand new, rodent free garage, so I'm hoping I don't have any further issues. I did however, do those same types of things (used metal screening material from an old house door screen) to block off the heater box inlet, the cowl drip holes and the kick panel passages in my shadow convertible project because that car is still in the old garage (no room in new garage!). I see rodent tracks on it, but so far nothing showing up in it!

    - - - Updated - - -
    cool.

    i saw online years ago where a guy would take a roll of roof flashing and unroll it and make a 20" wall around the car in the garage. the rodents couldnt jump over it and even get to the car.

    Brian

    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

  5. #25
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    590

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    Well, we're going to have a freakishly warm week for Feb in CT - 60-70 degrees Tue/Wed. So I figured I would take that opportunity to crank out the engine compartment freshen up of 86 #141.

    Here's a picture of the starting point:



    It's in fairly original condition and the engine compartment paint is in pretty good shape, but it's dirty from 30+ years and 53K miles of driving, and the wiring harness tape is pretty bleached out. So the plan is to remove the wiring harness, retape it, and remove any other items that are in the way of detailing the engine compartment paint.

    This afternoon I stripped out most of the wiring harness and removed the radiator, as well as the A/C system (wasn't charged anyway). I just need to release the harness from the LM and feed it through the firewall. I plan to tackle that tomorrow, and hopefully get the harness all cleaned up and retaped too. Here's pics of today's progress:




    I'm hoping to get everything cleaned up on Tuesday and have the bolts and brackets that need paint all prepped and ready to paint on Wednesday. I also want to clean up the transmission, as well as the gunk that's all over the heater hoses and starter harness:



    If all goes well, it will be mostly buttoned back up by next weekend. I also need to pull the original valve cover out of storage and put that back on.

    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_132719small.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	62193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_161640small.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	514.9 KB 
ID:	62194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_161826small.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	62195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_161923small.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	415.2 KB 
ID:	62196  

  6. #26
    Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    3,518

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    Not sure how I missed all this progress, I should check in here more often. Looks great Jon!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

  7. #27
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    590

    Re: 1986 GLHS #141 Freshen Up

    Got the wiring harness freed after work today, and just finished retaping it. I still need to give all the connectors a good cleaning and regreasing, but it's pretty close to done. Here's a shot of it freed from its home of over 30 years:



    Here's a shot of it on the work table before taping:


    Here's a shot of it all retaped:


    Tomorrow's goal is to get the engine compartment all washed down and cleaned up, as well as prep all items that require paint. Then Wednesday is 70 degree weather and paint day!

    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180219_171853small.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	62199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180219_195749small.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	62200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180219_210254small.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	62201  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Electronics NOS Mopar Performance 1986-1987 GLHS Stage II Shelby GLHS Computer
    By Burton Mercer in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2016, 05:19 PM
  2. Interior WTB: 1987 GLHS full interior or 1986 GLHS front seats
    By illi adik in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 03:48 AM
  3. Looking for 1986 GLHS #047 and/or #048
    By Marcus86GLHS in forum Shelby Models - Whittier Factory Cars
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 11:43 PM
  4. Interior WTB: 1987 GLHS full interior or 1986 GLHS front seats
    By illi adik in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
  5. Fs: 1986 GLHS #420
    By 86Shelby in forum Cars
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 06:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •