Thread: FWDP T-III Stage 3 computer

Hybrid booster

FWDP T-III Stage 3 computer

Recently installed +40s, 3 bar map, and FWDP TIII Stage 3 computer. I know Cindy said the stock turbo can't keep up with the 18psi advertised on the calibration. I figured I'd put a MBC on it about 15 and call it a day for now, but I'm getting erratic readings. This data log is with an MBC cranked all the way down. Either I have a leak in the wastegate diaphram, or something else is limiting the boost. Not sure if it's pulling timing and causing it or the timing reduction is standard as the boost goes up. Anyone have any thoughts? Ask any questions you feel will assist in understanding the log.

Thanks,

http://www.imgur.com/CHtgTO6.png

Hybrid booster

Re: FWDP T-III Stage 3 computer

Just did a bit more testing. Completely removed the MBC and plugged the WG lines, and over the course of a 2nd gear pull starting at 3000 RPM, it hits 14.9 psi at 3700 RPM and slowly drops to 8psi at 6,000 RPM. Timing peaks at -37 deg at 8psi, and by 9psi, it's at -46deg, and slowly comes back to -33deg once the boost is at 8psi. Waste Gate Duty Cycle while at 14psi was 96%, so for some reason the computer is definitely trying to limit the boost.

Since the car could hold 12psi just fine with the stock setup, I have to assume it's the computer pulling timing that is causing the low boost levels.

Hybrid booster

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should be logging to see if it's something I can correct, or just need to get a new calibration, as the one I have is very very old and has changed hands multiple times.

Cindy has been helpful in helping me, which is nice, considering I didn't buy the calibration directly from her.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should be logging to see if it's something I can correct, or just need to get a new calibration, as the one I have is very very old and has changed hands multiple times.

Cindy has been helpful in helping me, which is nice, considering I didn't buy the calibration directly from her.
    a minor caveat but i do not know if the fwd tIII ram locations are the same as the turbonator cals. it looks like they may be but.......
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Hybrid booster

That's a good point. I just assumed the TIII ram locations would be the same no matter who does the calibration. But they look right, lol

turbo addict

I have a stock TIII actuator (wastegate diaphram) on my car and it works just fine at 20 psi with aftermarket boost control. Does your actuator holds vacuum and move freely? If so, then it is working fine.

I found that stock computer is only good for stock level of boost control. Once I raise the boost, even with turbonator, I was never able to control the boost.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...g-)-with-a-MBC

Hybrid booster

The actuator seems to work fine with the stock computer, it's only after adding the stage 3 computer with 3 bar and +40s that it won't hold boost. Even with the waste gate line unplugged, which should produce well over 20psi, spikes to 15, then drops to 8psi. I'm fairly confident something is wrong with the calibration, but Cindy says it's the stock intercooler that's causing it due to a bottleneck. Have you run 20psi on stock turbo and intercooler? I was aiming for 15psi with a MBC on this setup.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I have an RT here with a FWD-p Stage 3 cal in it, that has a ported head, cams and a Super 70 running through the stock intercooler and airbox right now. It will hit 15 psi in a second. Cal is way wrong for it though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

I think I just need to get a new cal, something has to be up with this one.