Thread: 90 Daytona 2.5 t1 thumping during acceleration.

Mitsu booster

90 Daytona 2.5 t1 thumping during acceleration.

Hello, I own a 90 Shelby Daytona with the 2.5 T1 motor and auto trans. I've owned this car for 7-8 yrs and it's always had this issue. During moderate and harder acceleration it feels and sounds like something under the front end is thumping. It not a clicking sound like when cv joints go bad. Nothing underneath is loose that I have ever been able to find. Anybody have any ideas? Tia for any replies.

Mitsu booster

Re: 90 Daytona 2.5 t1 thumping during acceleration.

Wow! I searched for others who had experienced this issue in the past but nothing showed up until I made my post. Now I find similar posts shown under my post. I guess now I have all the info I need.

Hybrid booster

Pop in some axles. or figure out which side is making the noise. axles are about 60$ from napa. and putting them in is a 20 minute job.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66966-quot-Thumping-quot-Vibration-in-89-Caravan

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?58674-Thumping-vibration-in-front-end-under-acceleration

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?54072-Vibration-on-acceleration

Mitsu booster

It's not popping. It could possibly be one of the inner cv's as I installed both 1/2 shafts myself and they are reman. units. But this car has done this since before I bought it about 8 yrs ago. The previous owner, I seem to remember, told me he thought it needed new motor mounts. I will be getting a set tomorrow when they arrive at Napa. From what I've read on here, I think my motor mounts are suspect, plus they are pretty old and cracked it looks like. If this doesn't get it then I'll move on to buying brand new 1/2 shafts.

Mitsu booster

Replacing the motor mounts and especially the transmission mount solved the problem. More knowledge gained.