Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Koffel 8v Head and IMSA ITB Setuo

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Koffel 8v Head and IMSA ITB Setuo

rdnoel86 brought up a good point to remember: Those IMSA heads were done for an N/A application. Way back then, you couldn't run a turbo in IMSA(I don't know the rules now). They were pushing for 200-250+ hp with a Holley 500 cfm 2 barrel, and pushing 8000 rpm. In the middle of all of this development work, IMSA changed the rules, and the 2.2 became non-competitive, so Chrysler, Koffel, and the rest of them dropped the program. I'm not sure where the ITB setup came into play. Maybe it was a development deal, before the rules changed? I know all the pictures I've seen of the IMSA cars in race trim had Holley's on them.

I know there were guys out there pushing close to 300 hp N/A with these motors and radical heads. But that is close to the limit(IMHO).

I don't doubt what Shadow is saying, a propperly developed 8V turbo motor could produce close to 1000 hp, if money were no object...

But we're all T-M guys, and money is an object...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    rdnoel86 brought up a good point to remember: Those IMSA heads were done for an N/A application. Way back then, you couldn't run a turbo in IMSA(I don't know the rules now). They were pushing for 200-250+ hp with a Holley 500 cfm 2 barrel, and pushing 8000 rpm. In the middle of all of this development work, IMSA changed the rules, and the 2.2 became non-competitive, so Chrysler, Koffel, and the rest of them dropped the program. I'm not sure where the ITB setup came into play. Maybe it was a development deal, before the rules changed? I know all the pictures I've seen of the IMSA cars in race trim had Holley's on them.

I know there were guys out there pushing close to 300 hp N/A with these motors and radical heads. But that is close to the limit(IMHO).

I don't doubt what Shadow is saying, a propperly developed 8V turbo motor could produce close to 1000 hp, if money were no object...

But we're all T-M guys, and money is an object...
    And that was my point;

It's all fine and good to Dream of what you could or couldn't do, but reality paints a much different picture.

What they did and why they did it back then, and the funding they had vs someone attempting to replicate it on their own today = lesson in futility.

1. The machining and welding alone would exceed what you could build a comparable stock cam journal location head for today.

2. Very High percentage chance that after all the welding and moving around that it's not even done right.

3. you are going to be in a world of hurt trying to make a head with that much welding and modding live for any sig amount of time without issues.

4. You can build a comparable (maybe even Better) flowing head from one of our stock castings with Zero welding. Only Proper flow testing would tell, or real world BtB testing.

Look at all of the individuals that spent months building hack headers over the years, just to throw them away and put on a ported stocker and go Faster! I would never tell someone Not to do something if the sole reason is "just because they want to give it a try", but I will try to throw out a distant early warning of what the outcome will likely be IF I have the experience to do so.

It's unfortunate that the internet is like this, so easy to get bent out of shape over a simple conversation and someone's opinion. How is it that we so simply forget that, that's all it is, just someone else's opinion.

Don't like it?

Dismiss and try again..........(although, I would rather the person remain engaged and Press their own view. Unfortunately, their own argument is usually too weak and this is what the Real issue often is......)

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

lol
    even without welding and modding those blank isma castings would be hard on the bank roll just getting them to a "finished" state

though I'm sold at the point of raised port roof / long valve , knowing what it does for a big block dodge (aka indy or long valve stage 6 heads - make a stock bb head a waste of time)

what I'd like to know about this head(s) is why they say there were issues with the stock castings pushing the combustion chambers up with 250 -300 hp (?)

was this due to a high compression ratio and prolonged run times when at a high operating temperature?

what exactly did they modify for this in the isma heads?
    I noted the small rectangular hole where our heads have the large crescent shaped passage in front of the combustion chambers

.. and why if they had this issue don't we see it occurring in our motors today which must have at least an equal cylinder pressure with boost maybe even more with a lot of boost ?

having had a head fixed when the material between the chambers was burned away I also wonder if the same drill / pound in aluminum dowell, drill again pound in another dowell method might be used to modify the combustion chambers into the "figure 8" shape we see here , without welding anything

granted you might lose some water jacket above the combustion chamber but this also might provide more support for the combustion chambers too

turbo addict

Dodge also only ran the 8V head for a few seasons. They eventually ended up using the Maserati 16V head.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Dodge also only ran the 8V head for a few seasons. They eventually ended up using the Maserati 16V head.

At over 9000 RPM's

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    At over 9000 RPM's
    Please excuse me while I drool on myself...lol
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I remember a while back a guy running a neon 2.0 dohc making over 300whp n/a revving over 10,000rpm. I think it was deep in the 12's.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Hey Rob, How much do you think it would cost?
    Well you should know, you're pretty close,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456