Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions about WB readings & tuning

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Questions about WB readings & tuning

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

Perhaps I worded that incorrectly. If you have the staging limiter enabled, and your SDS fails, the enabled staging limiter will be engaged all the time since there's nothing to tell it to kick off. It may have changed since I last had that problem, but I have experienced it.
    Correct. If no switch is selected, it is triggered by mph.

Greg, the launch control is on in your cal. I forgot that it is on by default. So if the speed sensor isn't working, it will cause it to enable at any speed. And it is set at 4k by default also.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Correct. If no switch is selected, it is triggered by mph.

Greg, the launch control is on in your cal. I forgot that it is on by default. So if the speed sensor isn't working, it will cause it to enable at any speed. And it is set at 4k by default also.
    OK, well that explains it then. I've had this engine to 6K multiple times already, so I need to figure out what's going on with the SDS.

Rob, would that explain the goofy wideband readings when I let off the gas as well? That just started last night. It's like the ECU completely cuts fuel when I let off the gas.

Also to answer wheming's question, I do not have the ability to change the tune yet. All I have done is run MPScan and recorded a few datalogs.

turbo addict

When I was replacing the input shaft seal on my tranny the speed sensor wires were melted together. Worth checking.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Answered my own question tonight. MPScan works fine with stock ECU's. Did a couple of data logs on both vehicles. Everything looks good. Was worried at first. When I started the Scamp the tach was going haywire on MPScan. Not sure what I did, but I screwed up something on that first dashboard. Deleted it, started over with a new one, and everything works fine.

Only real question is the CTS sensor. it was still jumping around, even after I backed the sampling off to every 20 cycles. Also, it was reading about 30 degrees higher than my mechanical temp gauge, and they are side by side in the head. Not sure what was going on there??? The fan cycles now, so I fixed that issue. Replaced the relay.
    when you create a new dashboard you need to always make sure you have the correct ecu selected in the dropdown box. if not it will use the incorrect ram locations.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Not that I know of. Is there a way to check that through MPScan? I didn't ask for any rev limiters to be set in this tune.

Plug gap is at .035 on Champion RN9YC plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I'm thinking it shouldn't. Because you still have the switch that enables the staging limiter.

Have you been to 4000k before since your build? Did you just (recently) do any cal update/changes?
    OK, well that explains it then. I've had this engine to 6K multiple times already, so I need to figure out what's going on with the SDS.

Rob, would that explain the goofy wideband readings when I let off the gas as well? That just started last night. It's like the ECU completely cuts fuel when I let off the gas.

Also to answer wheming's question, I do not have the ability to change the tune yet. All I have done is run MPScan and recorded a few datalogs.
    I've always found that my cars go way lean when I totally let out of the gas, if only momentarily. I usually have them set up to cut fuel when I'm off the gas so after I've tweaked it, the car will be lean until I get back in the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    when you create a new dashboard you need to always make sure you have the correct ecu selected in the dropdown box. if not it will use the incorrect ram locations.
    Pretty sure that's where I goofed. I had originally set the dashboard up as TII, not realizing the code base was TI. I went back in and changed it, but I now realize I just needed to start over... Which is what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I've always found that my cars go way lean when I totally let out of the gas, if only momentarily. I usually have them set up to cut fuel when I'm off the gas so after I've tweaked it, the car will be lean until I get back in the gas.
    I kind of assume that's what mine is doing, because if I just push the gas a little it comes back in the normal range. It just waits so long, it dies. But that might be related to the VSS issue I have. Because as I remember, doesn't the ECU look for the vehicle to slow down before adjusting idle? If it's not seeing it, it won't make the adjustment. I'll get under it tomorrow and see if it just came unhooked, or if I have a bad sensor.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Greg, I'll offer this MPScan user tidbit (free of charge even!)...
    Eventually you may want to export datalogs into spreadsheets, and Morris has the export to .csv already setup to do that easy (i even save them with the same filename as my .mpl file). But you'll see the order that the gauge columns appear in the .csv is in the same order the gauges were added to the dashboard.
    So, when i discovered that, i rebuilt my dashboard layout adding the gauges in the order i wanted them in the spreadsheet.

You can of course shuffle them around once in the spreadsheet, but it is easier always having the files be the way you prefer.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I kind of assume that's what mine is doing, because if I just push the gas a little it comes back in the normal range. It just waits so long, it dies. But that might be related to the VSS issue I have. Because as I remember, doesn't the ECU look for the vehicle to slow down before adjusting idle? If it's not seeing it, it won't make the adjustment. I'll get under it tomorrow and see if it just came unhooked, or if I have a bad sensor.
    Pretty sure the launch control uses a rotating spark cut. But the VSS could be causing it if it's bad. It's a common issue, VSS goes bad and car stalls on coming to a stop.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

After doing some checking last night, I'm pretty sure the VSS is bad. Got under the truck, and it was plugged in. I get good speed readings on my speedometer, which is mechanical, so I know it's rotating fine.

I hooked up the laptop, started the truck, and dropped it into 2nd gear on the jack stands, and I get zero speed on MPScan. So I guess I stop tonight & pick up a new one...

It sucks that I can't even update to the newer hall effect version, because I need the mechanical output for my stock speedo...

Garrett booster

Have you seen this? http://minimopar.net/speedsensor.html#convert

I have repaired my speed sensor before. Since they're still available there's not much point but I just wanted to see if I could do it. You see the reed switch in the picture on minimopar? Those can be found inside the cheap door alarms you get at the hardware store. The ones with the magnet that mount on the door frame with double sided tape. If you can solder it's very easy to remove the old one and replace it. Mine was shattered and was permanently shorted.

If you hold it up to your ear and spin it you should be able to hear the switch closing. You can also test it with an ohmeter. You should get 8 shorts/clicks per rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    Have you seen this? http://minimopar.net/speedsensor.html#convert

I have repaired my speed sensor before. Since they're still available there's not much point but I just wanted to see if I could do it. You see the reed switch in the picture on minimopar? Those can be found inside the cheap door alarms you get at the hardware store. The ones with the magnet that mount on the door frame with double sided tape. If you can solder it's very easy to remove the old one and replace it. Mine was shattered and was permanently shorted.

If you hold it up to your ear and spin it you should be able to hear the switch closing. You can also test it with an ohmeter. You should get 8 shorts/clicks per rotation.
    Yeah, I read through it. Thought about doing the electronic conversion to eliminate the reed switch. I'll keep the old one, and maybe play with it. For now I'll put a new one in it and hope it lives for a while...

Update:

After waiting 3 days for delivery, first new speed sensor I bought from O'Reilly's was bad out of the box. So found an Autozone in the next city over that had one in stock. Fixed my issue, and now run like it did before. Going to try and put a few miles on it this next week before taking it to the show in Kokomo next Sunday. Hopefully that's the end of the issues for a while...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123