Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about WB readings & tuning

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Questions about WB readings & tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Also, just to datalog you can buy an ftdi usb cable and hook up 3 wires to the diagnostic port. Put MP Scan on a laptop, set it up for smec and what gauges you want, and datalog.
    So this one: http://www.kr4.us/ftdi-cable-5v.html?source=cashback will work??? The three wires I need are Rx, Tx, and ground, correct? Then I set it up per these instructions: http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...id=cable_setup

Anybody know if there is an issue with MPtune & MPScan & windows 10? That's what my laptop is running.
    Last edited by 83scamp; 07-30-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Yes. I have Win10 on my laptop, works fine. Wowzer keeps the programs pretty up to date.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Yes. I have Win10 on my laptop, works fine. Wowzer keeps the programs pretty up to date.

Awesome! Thanks.

According to USPS, my cable was delivered today. So a couple quick mods, and I should be able to talk to the ECU...

I'll let you know how it goes...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

good luck. the smec ecu is SO much better than the LM when it comes to logging......... don't forget to invert the tx/rx signals for the cable using the ftdi programming software. and you also need to ck the "load vcp driver" in the windows driver setup.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    good luck. the smec ecu is SO much better than the LM when it comes to logging......... don't forget to invert the tx/rx signals for the cable using the ftdi programming software. and you also need to ck the "load vcp driver" in the windows driver setup.
    Yes. Thanks for the reminder. I plan on having the wiki up when I do this so I can follow all the instructions.

I loaded MPtune & MPscan on my laptop the other night, so I should be ready.

turbo addict

Can you see the adaptive percentages via MP scan? Do scanners work with the new style calibrations?

I had a decent tune on a stock head 2.5 with basically an 87 T2 top end with an S60 turbo and 3" exhaust. When I went to a ported head with a plenum intake and tube header the car would run great for about 10 minutes then sitting at idle the a/f's would go super lean and the car would die. The cal was based off the 89 T1 code base from way way back so I could hook up a scanner and watch the adaptives. As soon as the adaptives started kicking in is when the car would go lean. I had to add 50% more fuel at idle and 15-20% in cruise too keep the adaptives around 0% +/- 5-10%.

You may be on the other end where you need to take fuel out in cruise compared to what the curves are trying to get the car to run at.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

i believe the smec adaptive cells are called cell?? in mpscan. there are at least 12 of them. there's also a pointerintoadaptivememory and valuefromadaptivememory location you could track. the AutoCalMapCellBoundary? and RPMCellBoundaryInRPMover32? tables are used to determine which of the 12 adaptive cells to use based on the pointer.
    Last edited by wowzer; 08-03-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Got the cable, and got it talking to my laptop. I set up MPScan with my custom dashboard to data log. I need to add spade connectors to the three wires yet so I can try and connect to the ECU.

Thank you Wowzer for the youtube tutorials on setting up the dashboard. Made doing mine a snap. I may try to connect tonight.

OK, I'm going to keep this thread going for now.

Got a chance to hook the laptop up the SMEC in the Scamp last night. Took a couple of tries, but I got it talking. I tried to log the truck just sitting there idling, but something went wrong. It started the log, showed it was collecting data, but the gauges never moved. It created a log, and the playback showed the same thing.

I noticed in both training videos, when SMEC was chosen, he used TI. I set mine up TII, does that make a difference? First try, and not sure what I'm doing wrong... Hate to look like a newby, but I am to this stuff...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Yes, use the T1 selection. the Turbonator code is based off T1, for SMEC and SBEC at least, as far as I know.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Yes, use the T1 selection. the Turbonator code is based off T1, for SMEC and SBEC at least, as far as I know.
    Thanks Rob.

BTW, tune still working great. I just want to be able to datalog for future reference.

So, can I log off the stock SMEC in my Daytona as well? I haven't tried hooking up to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Thanks Rob.

BTW, tune still working great. I just want to be able to datalog for future reference.

So, can I log off the stock SMEC in my Daytona as well? I haven't tried hooking up to it yet.

Answered my own question tonight. MPScan works fine with stock ECU's. Did a couple of data logs on both vehicles. Everything looks good. Was worried at first. When I started the Scamp the tach was going haywire on MPScan. Not sure what I did, but I screwed up something on that first dashboard. Deleted it, started over with a new one, and everything works fine.

Only real question is the CTS sensor. it was still jumping around, even after I backed the sampling off to every 20 cycles. Also, it was reading about 30 degrees higher than my mechanical temp gauge, and they are side by side in the head. Not sure what was going on there??? The fan cycles now, so I fixed that issue. Replaced the relay.

Hybrid booster

How did the DIYAutoTune 3 Bar work for you? I picked one up, but didn't realize until after I received it that it wasn't a genuine GM part.

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    How did the DIYAutoTune 3 Bar work for you? I picked one up, but didn't realize until after I received it that it wasn't a genuine GM part.
    So far, so good. Seems to be working fine.

OK, now I have a new one I need some advice on. This one has me stumped.

Took it for a drive tonight, and ignition cuts out at 4000 rpm. at WOT. Let off a little, and it comes back, then drops again at 4K. Also, if I let off the throttle and coast, it goes dead lean and sometimes quits, other times catches itself and comes back. AFR's are good when it starts cutting out. I know it's ignition because the tach drops off when it bucks.

Got two codes, 15 & 33. Neither one should have anything to do with the above issue. 15 is A/C relay shorted or open, which makes sense, I had it unplugged diagnosing my fan issue. 33 is no signal from speed sensor. I need to get under it and check the connector.

Also had something odd tonight. I was testing the relays using MPScan, and when I would stop the test, the ecu wouldn't stop. I had to turn off the key to get the fan relay to stop clicking on & off, same with the ASD, & A/C relays. Can this be related? Do I have a bigger issue?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Do you have the staging limiter on? If your SDS fails, the limiters will kick in where they're set even if they're supposed to turn off at a certain wheel speed.

What's your plug gap like?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Do you have the staging limiter on? If your SDS fails, the limiters will kick in where they're set even if they're supposed to turn off at a certain wheel speed.

Not that I know of. Is there a way to check that through MPScan? I didn't ask for any rev limiters to be set in this tune.

Plug gap is at .035 on Champion RN9YC plugs.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

I'm thinking it shouldn't. Because you still have the switch that enables the staging limiter.

Have you been to 4000k before since your build? Did you just (recently) do any cal update/changes?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Not that I know of. Is there a way to check that through MPScan? I didn't ask for any rev limiters to be set in this tune.

Plug gap is at .035 on Champion RN9YC plugs.
    I would gap the plugs down first and run it again. That's a pretty large gap if you're flowing a lot of air.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I'm thinking it shouldn't. Because you still have the switch that enables the staging limiter.

Have you been to 4000k before since your build? Did you just (recently) do any cal update/changes?
    Perhaps I worded that incorrectly. If you have the staging limiter enabled, and your SDS fails, the enabled staging limiter will be engaged all the time since there's nothing to tell it to kick off. It may have changed since I last had that problem, but I have experienced it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast