Thread: CV Grease flinging out

Hybrid booster

CV Grease flinging out

I am having an issue with my CV joints flinging grease from the boot.

Basically it flung a small amount of grease from passenger inner joint and drivers inner since day one but recently it has gotten a little worse and i can see grease on the firewall, trans, wheel etc from every axle (passenger inner and outer and driver inner and outer).

It seems like it was worst this last weekend when did a road course track day (4 20 minutes sessions in the Arizona heat). I will try to post pictures later.

I assume it's a boot sealing issue but I'm not ruling out other factors like a grease overheating issue or a geometry on the coilovers? I wanted to chime in here to see if anybody else had any ideas or experience with this. Can/should the boots be tightened up beyond how I received them?

Vehicle information is below

Vehicle: 86 Plymouth Horizon
    Transmission: Large Spline 568
    Axles: O'reilly Reman 1990 Automatic Axles (both replaced at same time when i installed the transmission)

Thanks!

Re: CV Grease flinging out

Mine did this on the driver's side. Not sure if another calmo will do, but worth a shot. If the boot has a seat ring on the end, a tight clamp should keep it from happening. Otherwise you have a small tear you can't see.
    Probably need to check mine.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Can you grab the boot and move it on the axle shaft or the joint housing at all ? Maybe 2 pairs of axles ago I got a set where both outers had the boot just loose enough to slide on the axle shaft. That time around the axles had the pincher type clamps so I took a pair of bridge clamp pliers and crimped them just a touch more.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

I read some information from a person who used to endurance race Neons and they constantly had this type of issue, especially at higher speeds.

It ended up being the type of grease being used and how much was being used. The stuff that was in there wasn't up to the higher temps and they were putting too much in...so when it expanded it squirted out everywhere. For those of us that do autocross, road courses, etc. this might be something to add to the "prep list"...re-packing the CV joints with the correct grease.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It's been a constant problem with my car since exceeding 120mph.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I read some information from a person who used to endurance race Neons and they constantly had this type of issue, especially at higher speeds.

It ended up being the type of grease being used and how much was being used. The stuff that was in there wasn't up to the higher temps and they were putting too much in...so when it expanded it squirted out everywhere. For those of us that do autocross, road courses, etc. this might be something to add to the "prep list"...re-packing the CV joints with the correct grease.
    I was kinda leaning towards this, I will look into changing out the grease. Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Doh! I'm nowhere near 120 but the constant WOT acceleration and hard braking generates some heat I'm sure

turbo addict

humm I wonder
    if while you had the c-v joints apart and the grease cleaned off everything maybe a little rubber cement on the shafts , the grouve in the joint housing and the mateing parts of the boots would solve the leakage past the clamps?

rubber cement tends to stick pretty good if the surfaces are clean and you let it set on both parts like you're supposed to

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I don't see what serious work they are having to do going straight line that creates heat, unless you have some wacky angles.

I have always suffered from physical damage or failures of the boot. Been through at least 10 the last 10 years. Never actually replaced a boot.
    Would be interested on preferred low expansion grease.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

I didn't mention it because I thought it was kind of a common knowledge thing, but I've also seen zip ties used on the boots on the "low" parts of the bellows to keep them from ballooning out at higher speeds. Dunno if that's an actual issue for us, but thought I'd mention it.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I didn't mention it because I thought it was kind of a common knowledge thing, but I've also seen zip ties used on the boots on the "low" parts of the bellows to keep them from ballooning out at higher speeds. Dunno if that's an actual issue for us, but thought I'd mention it.

Even Chrysler did that for speed runs. When they were doing speed tests on the PPG pace cars, especially the Daytona prototype. I have a book at home with pictures in it showing the zip ties on the boots to keep them from "blowing up".