Thread: Omni Weight

Garrett booster

Omni Weight

I'm trying to find a car body for my next dirt track hornet car build. I am trying to get the lightest body possible. I am finding omni's are listed as 2 weights. One is 2,200 and one is around 2,500. I am assuming one is the 4 door and one is the 2 door but I can't figure out which one is which. I am running shadow/sundance bodies right now I have them stripped down to 2,200 lbs with a full 6 point roll cage. I can keep up with the fastest cars (caviliers and preludes) but I have trouble passing. I've just about pushed all the affordable HP out of the engine I can so at this point I am wanting to try a lighter body. I just need to know which body is lightest. If there is a lighter body than the omni's I'm open to any FWD mopar that my 2.5 bolts into

Thanks!

turbo addict

Re: Omni Weight

4 doors are lighter than 2 drs. The rampage/scamp trucklet is probably even slightly lighter than the 4 drs. In just about every case the longer the vehicle line is in production, the heavier it gets. I would be willing to bet the really old 4 dr. Omnis (78-83) were even slightly lighter than the 84+ models. Started putting 2.2's in Omni's in 81. Prior to that is was VW 1.7 ltr.
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Turbo vs. NA makes a difference too. Adding the turbo, intercooler, a couple little brackets, brakes, etc. all add up.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Do you have any youtube links to this racing you do Enduro? Or search keywords?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Here's one for you AJ!!

I sold a junker 1984 4 dr to a guy who races, his video.

Thanks
    Randy

https://www.facebook.com/KingsParkSp...6771055086818/

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Do you have any youtube links to this racing you do Enduro? Or search keywords?

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

All of the above is correct.

The 4 door Omnis are the lightest at 2200lb, the trucks are second at about 2300 lb, and the 2 doors are the heaviest at about 2400. Those weights are for the N/A versions. As Cordes suggested, a turbo version adds about 100 lb or so. Plus the turbo cars were usually more highly optioned(a/c, sunroof, etc), which also adds weight. That explains the weight differences you are seeing.

Garrett booster

Ok. I will have to look for a 4 door then. I imagine once gutted i can probably have it under 1900 lbs. I'd love to do a trucklet but the rules specify cars only and if i where to start winning somebody would start crying about it not being a "car"

I can't run turbo so that is not a big deal for me. I actually run a turbo computer with multiport injection and turbo intake, injectors, ect. I mainly just swapped over because I couldn't find anything on tuning the TBI computer but the difference between TBI and Multiport is quite a bit even before the tune. I am still playing with getting the spark advance correct because i am having power fall off a bit in the high rpm but it runs great other than that. Much smoother than a TBI engine.

2.216VTurbo
    I don't have video of my car. I can post some links to the track pictures tho and should have video soon. My brother races a shadow as well. I can post a link to his youtube channel. I'll post video of mine once I get my camera I ordered off ebay

http://www.greenflagpix.com/2017-Par...JJ/i-32qKtzM/A
    http://www.greenflagpix.com/2017-Par...JJ/i-VztPNHt/A
    http://www.greenflagpix.com/2017-Par...JJ/i-MSd5Kzd/A
    http://www.greenflagpix.com/2017-Par...JJ/i-dd3Gq8z/A
    http://www.greenflagpix.com/2017-Par...JJ/i-5g795vV/A

Pics above are of my Car. Link below is my brothers youtube channel. Anything in a blue car is him and videos in an orange car are my dad who races shadows as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCge...YYFp5vMWicCUYw

After watching the video I'm left wondering why you're not running a first gen neon?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    After watching the video I'm left wondering why you're not running a first gen neon?
    Parts are much cheaper for the shadows. Plus in an enduro race that is 300 laps most cars will experience some type of issues. With a neon there is a lot more diagnosis to issues and takes longer to fix them. We have literally changed out a timing belt on a car in 20 minutes gone back out and finished the race. Didn't place great but still finished and had fun. Winning is great but having fun and finishing is the main goal. Plus when you do win it feels great to have done it with an old 8 valve mopar. If you watch in some of the hornet races the neons are not always faster

That makes sense. I guess you have a lot more Shadow parts where you live than we do over here. I just thought a 1st gen Neon would have more available parts. I know they handle better stock, but I would imagine a lot of that advantage thins out with weight reduction and drastic suspension geometry changes with the older cars.

Hybrid booster

Very cool! Those races must be a blast to drive in.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'm wondering if a Neon would be lighter than an Lbody at race weight. The steel used on Lbodies is pretty thick in some areas.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

The neons guys i have talked to have said they scaled in at 2250 and 2200 but they have not gone to the extremes that I have gone to for weight reduction. That being said with the shadows they do use heavier steel but it does make the cars more resistant to damage which helps. We do have a daytona project car that we are in the process of building using the 555 manual transmission and a high compression 2.4 engine. The daytonas are just heavy cars to start with so even stripped down they are just too heavy to compete with the cavilers and preludes

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

That's really cool racing, reminds me a little of the chump series which is a blast but there are maybe 1/3 as many cars on the tack during a race. You've got to be really on your game to avoid the carnage! How come they don't move the disabled cars off the track, part of the challenge?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL