Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Wideband These days?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What Wideband These days?

It's been years since I've had to buy one so I'd love it if you guys gave me some feedback on them. I really enjoy using a NB output to run the stock electronics so that feature would be nice. These days I like stuff that's as discrete as possible so I don't need a huge gauge with lights flashing every which way. Thanks in advance.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: What Wideband These days?

The AEM UEGO seems to be a popular WB right now. It's what I installed in the Scamp. It has the NB output you are looking for. The gauge isn't glaringly obvious, especially if you use the black face & bezel. But it does have LED lighting.

That's what I installed in the Scamp. Unfortunately, it's not running yet, so I really can't give any feedback. But I can update once it's running...

turbo addict

I have the aem x series. Seems nice so far.

Garrett booster

I have a PLX SM-AFR Gen4 with the DM-6 gauge in the van. I'm very happy with it so far. I've had it about 6 months now. It uses the LSU 4.9 sensor. About the narrowband output I can't say because I have megasquirt now and don't use it. The gauge has a line graph display mode which is really handy. You don't have to be watching the gauge constantly because you can see a few seconds of the past readings in the graph. Helps a lot but I guess that might qualify as "lights flashing every which way"
    http://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDet...e=897346002719

turbo addict

AEM all the way.

I bought and installed Innovate MTX-L, it would have random issue. Called tech support, and told the sensor was foul and need to be put in a different location. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1YmF7rCkPI
    I put in AEM UEGO at the same location, same ground, same sensor location and 5 years LATER, AEM still works fine without one issue.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    The AEM UEGO seems to be a popular WB right now. It's what I installed in the Scamp. It has the NB output you are looking for. The gauge isn't glaringly obvious, especially if you use the black face & bezel. But it does have LED lighting.

That's what I installed in the Scamp. Unfortunately, it's not running yet, so I really can't give any feedback. But I can update once it's running...
    I have heard that the 0-1v NB output on these is very hit or miss and won't actually run a factory computer correctly. Have you done it and it works or you just know it has the option?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    I have heard that the 0-1v NB output on these is very hit or miss and won't actually run a factory computer correctly. Have you done it and it works or you just know it has the option?
    AEM has only 1 output and you have to use the dial switch to select what information for it to send out. AEM works fine with my LM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    AEM has only 1 output and you have to use the dial switch to select what information for it to send out. AEM works fine with my LM.
    Is the sensor in the stock location or did you follow AEM's install instructions and move it 3' away from the exhaust ports?

I'm not sure if it'll matter for the discussion, but I full well plan on mounting the WBo2 sensor in the stock location. I've done that with other units and had zero problems with them as a result.

turbo addict

I followed the instructions and put it I think 18 inches from the turbo.

turbo addict

Is the sensor in the stock location or did you follow AEM's install instructions and move it 3' away from the exhaust ports?
    I never used a stock location and always weld a o2 sensor bung 18 inches or more behind the turbo and in front of the catalytic converter. I wasn't going to risk having not able to get support due to non-recommended installation.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 07-24-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    I have a PLX SM-AFR Gen4 with the DM-6 gauge in the van. I'm very happy with it so far. I've had it about 6 months now. It uses the LSU 4.9 sensor. About the narrowband output I can't say because I have megasquirt now and don't use it. The gauge has a line graph display mode which is really handy. You don't have to be watching the gauge constantly because you can see a few seconds of the past readings in the graph. Helps a lot but I guess that might qualify as "lights flashing every which way"
    http://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDet...e=897346002719
    I've been looking into this and really like what I see. It does have narrowband output

Analog Outputs: Wideband Linear 0-5V, Narrowband 0-1V (Driving Current 20mA)

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have mine plumbed in about 3' down from the flange. Got the truck fired up tonight, and the AEM gauge appears to work beautifully. A/F hovers about 12.5 when cold, and as it warms up the computer brings it right up to 14.7. Hovers about 14.3-14.9 while idling. So it's working!!!

Thanks for those links. I somewhat like the wifi idea.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I have mine plumbed in about 3' down from the flange. Got the truck fired up tonight, and the AEM gauge appears to work beautifully. A/F hovers about 12.5 when cold, and as it warms up the computer brings it right up to 14.7. Hovers about 14.3-14.9 while idling. So it's working!!!
    Congrats!
    I wish I could work that fast!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Garrett booster

aem x too.. better response time & better display

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I have the aem x series. Seems nice so far.

Garrett booster

I've been looking into this and really like what I see. It does have narrowband output
    I love it(PLX SM-AFR). The only gripe I have is with the fact that the DM-6 gauge doesn't have a normal "U" mounting bracket. You have to use their mounting bracket or get creative if you want to mount it in the dash or a gauge pod. I don't have any extra sensor modules but I plan to get an EGT and possibly a boost module for it. It's cool that you only really need one gauge to display all the sensor information.

It does have narrowband output but I've never used it. I really liked the narrowband output on my old LC-1(really the only good thing about it) because you could change the voltage scale to trick the SMEC into running richer or leaner. That was the determining factor for me buying the LC-1 back then. I don't think you can do that with the PLX or AEM.

The PLX unit has a narrow band output. At least they did at one time. That's the unit I had in the CSX.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

I am running an Innovate LC-2, it is the third Innovate unit I have used over the years, but after having 2 die on me and having to replace multiple sensors (some of which I suspect weren't bad given how little use the CSX gets), I have been looking for my next unit for when the Innovate finally dies.

I have heard very good things about the 14point7.com Spartan Lambda controller if you are looking for a simple, reliable, and cheap wideband unit. It has a simulated narrowband output and a 0-5v output also for datalogging or feeding into a megasquirt.

It also uses the new Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor which is much more reliable than the old 4.2 sensor. More info on the 4.9 vs the 4.2:
    http://www.ecotrons.com/technology/b...su_42_sensors/

And the best part is it is only $125 including a 4.9 sensor.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast