Thread: 1988 Daytona Shelby Z - Need Air Conditioning help!

Hybrid booster

1988 Daytona Shelby Z - Need Air Conditioning help!

Ok, my car didn't have AC from the factory, so I am working at installing it. I used the following parts from newer cars:

1. Heater box with AC stuff (controls, Evaporator) from my 89 Shelby Daytona parts car
    2. AC cutout from my 89 Daytona.
    3. H-valve/hoses/compressor from a 93-94 Spirit.
    4. Evaporator from my bro's 92 parts Shadow (it was in perfect shape).
    5. AC belt from one of those cars.

I installed everything and plugged everything in except the hoses/dryer.

I know the system needs to be cleaned out, but I don't want to spend money on it unless I'm sure it should work (aka it should work but may not due to me doing something wrong).

Obviously I can't connect the top plug on the compressor as my car does not have it. Will that keep the AC compressor from working?

I had my dad press the AC button in the car while I watched the AC clutch but it didn't move. In my bro's 94 Acclaim I saw it move when he pressed the button so I'm wondering if it's just because I dont have the hoses installed and the system pressurized.

All help is appreciated and please do ask questions if you think I missed something or whatever.

boostaholic

Re: 1988 Daytona Shelby Z - Need Air Conditioning help!

What plug on the compressor? The two wires for the clutch? Yeah, that will keep it from working all right.

The clutch wont engage unless it has power, and it won't get power unless the pressure switch in the system tells it there is enough pressure to do so. So, it won't run with nothing hooked up unless you hotwire the clutch. I advise you don't do this, because you'll quickly grenande your AC compressor with no refrigerant or oil in it.

turbo addict

with the old hoses , don't be suprised if the charge only lasts a day or two

it might work it might not - you probably wouldn't want to know what I bet on

those hoses were bad for opening up a bunch of little micro holes that let everything out when they got to 6 or 7 years old

rows and rows of little micro holes thatare part of the hose design ..

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The later stuff has a high pressure cutout switch on the compressor. It ~should~ not matter as the earlier stuff doesnt have it at all.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

Ok, thanks for the info. I do have the bottom plug plugged in, it's the top high pressure cutout switch that I can't connect.

Dr Johnny Dodge which hoses are you talking about? The earlier 80's ones or the newer early 90's? My brother had his 93 Acclaim AC recharged about about a month ago and it has been fine and working great. We know it still has the factory hoses on it. But I suppose since I haven't installed the hoses yet I should just get some new ones instead of taking a chance.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

New hoses are cheap enough when you factor in the hassle of getting the old hoses to seal up. New aftermarket stuff is all aluminum vs the oem being steel. At the filter drier in particular the flanges are usually always pitted and never seal very well.

One warning though.. I went through this awhile ago on my 94 getting new aftermarket hoses as the forementioned issue of hose flange pitting issue. For the 1994 model year chrysler switched the location of the low side service port from the compressor manifold to on the hose itself. 94 P, 94-95 AA and 94-95 J body use a unique low side hose that the aftermarket does not make. If your using a compressor from a 1994 model year (no service port on the manifold) without changing the manifold on top to an earlier model year in conjunction with aftermarket hoses your not going to have a low side service port.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

the hoses I'd referance are the 80's ones

I'd doubt the rubber hose design changed for the 90's as those micro holes were there for a reason I believe

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    the hoses I'd referance are the 80's ones

I'd doubt the rubber hose design changed for the 90's as those micro holes were there for a reason I believe
    To let the refrigerant out? I think the difference is the lining of the old/new hoses. IIRC, R-134a is a smaller molecule than R-12, so R-134a in an older hose R-12 converted system will see some R-134a escape over time because the hose lining is wrong for the application. But, I could be wrong.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    To let the refrigerant out? I think the difference is the lining of the old/new hoses. IIRC, R-134a is a smaller molecule than R-12, so R-134a in an older hose R-12 converted system will see some R-134a escape over time because the hose lining is wrong for the application. But, I could be wrong.
    This seems to be the most realistic reason and over time small cracks appear and it leaks more.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH