Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joytona

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Cracked Piston What Would You Do?

I'm sure you're already "there" but since all four injectors share the same ground, then if all four flow the same, it has to be a driver issue.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I'm sure you're already "there" but since all four injectors share the same ground, then if all four flow the same, it has to be a driver issue.
    I thought they shared the same power and the PM grounded them to complete the circuit? I've never really had an injector problem before, and I don't have the car back together yet so I'm really nowhere close to "there".

I really appreciate all the feedback on this problem, as I've never had a problem with just one piston, or just one side of the injectors. I've always had a catastrophic failure for the most part. lol.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I thought they shared the same power and the PM grounded them to complete the circuit? I've never really had an injector problem before, and I don't have the car back together yet so I'm really nowhere close to "there".
    That is correct. Power is supplied to all the injectors (same as coil). PM grounds them to activate them.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Thanks for the part number. Amazon had a seller which was way cheaper than any alternative.

What do you guys do for a hone? I've done the three stone type hone in the past, and still have it. I've heard that a ball hone is a much better way to go though. Would that be a way to go here? I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. I would like to have this project finished up before August, but a lot of the little things I always like to do will be piling up on this car as it is.
    I have used the bar and ball style hones and like the ball hone much more than the bar style. I just couldn't get a good cross hatch with the bar, the ball was perfect first go at it.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    I have used the bar and ball style hones and like the ball hone much more than the bar style. I just couldn't get a good cross hatch with the bar, the ball was perfect first go at it.
    +1. I used a ball hone to do the bores in the 2.5 I just finished. Worked like a champ.

turbo addict

The benefit to a ball hone is that it simply puts a cross hatch in. A bar hone could potentially mess with the straightness of the cylinder wall.

What size and grit do you guys recommend?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

My memory is just as sharp as ever but I have always used two grits, course and not so course. I do the major cutting with the first(and lotsa WD40!) and then just lightly finish with the fine, probably 1/4 as much time in the bores as the course. Not sure if you
    ve looked into purchasing them Brian but theyre not inexpensive. Send me a PM if you want a loaner set...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

What size and grit do you guys recommend?
    3.5" ball hone. Grit depends on the rings. I've read a lot of different opinions. Some say if you use moly coated, use 320 grit, iron rings, use 240. Some say 240 is OK with moly.

I personally used 240 with my Mahle moly coated rings. We'll see what kind of wear I get. I used Marvel Mystery Oil for my lubricant with the ball hone.

Here is the one I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-2-240-gr...UAAOSwTapV5ign

You have a spare block to test it on? I think I still have the one that got really damaged when the rod let go a while back.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I would highly recommend you go to Flex-hone's website and watch their how-to video. Biggest thing to be careful of is NEVER stop the hone in the bore, and make sure it's spinning before you insert it. Also soak it in your lubricant of choice before using it. It's a work out for sure. You have to run it up and down the bore fast to get the cross hatch you need.

OK, so it looks like the sealed power rings are moly coated of some type.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=212240&jsn=3

This is what I should be looking for in a hone then right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEX-HONE-TO...-/221576059327

OK, so it looks like the sealed power rings are moly coated of some type.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=212240&jsn=3

This is what I should be looking for in a hone then right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEX-HONE-TO...-/221576059327
    Yep, that's it.

Sweet. I have that on order so this project should be wrapped up soon.

Another hint I'll give you is don't use a cordless drill to run the hone. They tend to be stepped speed, not infinitely variable like the old corded types. You don't want to spin it fast because you can't over-stroke the bore that fast to get your 45* cross hatch pattern. It's a messy job, so do it someplace where you can sling oil, and wear old clothes you don't care about. As you bring the hone part way out the top & bottom of the bores, it will make a mess...

Like I said, watch the how-to video on Flex-hone's web site. It shows you exactly how to do it.

Thanks to all for the tips on the Flex-Hone. For my first time using one, I think it went pretty well. I would estimate that I have about a 30 some odd degree crosshatch in it. Not quite perfect, but fairly decent IMO. I should hopefully have the engine back together in the coming days.

looks like my stock '87 piston when it let go, pretty sure detonation broke mine, go forged i m o
    later Dick Westerhof

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

I don't know the details on the joytona. What year ECU? Intercooler?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

How does the injector harness look? They use the same ground, but all of the connections might not be sound. That is why I made my own harness and soldered the connections years ago.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    looks like my stock '87 piston when it let go, pretty sure detonation broke mine, go forged i m o
    When this one goes, it'll be time for some forged pistons in a common block motor for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    I don't know the details on the joytona. What year ECU? Intercooler?

Brian
    Tim Doyle's old T top 86 Daytona. 87 TII electronics with a stock 88 TII hard parts conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    How does the injector harness look? They use the same ground, but all of the connections might not be sound. That is why I made my own harness and soldered the connections years ago.
    It's either a harness someone made or repaired. I'll probably whip up a new harness for it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast