Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joytona

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Cracked Piston What Would You Do?

Updates? My vote is detonation unless the top of the piston edge's are melted. I cracked a few cast like that before going forged, then I broke everything else, You are also burning a lot of oil, so have the guides check and install new seals.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I think it was detonation due to lack of fuel in 3 and 4. I threw in some TII rods and pistons. I’m making a few other changes too and hop to have the car on the road for spring.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I think it was detonation due to lack of fuel in 3 and 4. I threw in some TII rods and pistons. I’m making a few other changes too and hop to have the car on the road for spring.
    Cool beans.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

We're getting close. A few changes indeed. A ported two piece and stock exhaust manifold are going on the car, with a ported SV and turbine housing. 58mm TB will be on there along with my own AN lines and new fuel injection section of the wiring harness. It shouldn't be too long now.

turbo addict

What about the fuel injectors?

Hybrid booster

dont forget to get a lip on that 58MM... after coming on and off a few times my 58mm started to blow the line off under boost.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Cordes I've been saying mine is 'getting close' for 6 weeks now, always some other delay At least I've made it to the templating/final mock up/gasket cutting stage. Getting close

I'm gonna start with my optimized 52mm TB but after all the 'new set up' bugs are worked out I want to do a B2B swap with a 58mm and no othe changes to see if there is an advantage. Problem is, I can't find one, I bought one off ebay that *looked* like a 58(guy musta had tiny little chic hands) but it was a 52. Nothing avail from rockauto, where are you guys sourcing them from?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

98-2000 3.8 vans. 1 vacuum port throttle body. no extra bosses for extra ports.
    no lip on the end. straight out AIS normally. that you need to change.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-00-CA...L/401343399152

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Done, thx. I searched 3.8 throttle body a few times, that one never came up for me

EDIT: Now can you find a gasket source I've bought 3 for the 3.8's, they've all been 52's...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Done, thx. I searched 3.8 throttle body a few times, that one never came up for me

EDIT: Now can you find a gasket source I've bought 3 for the 3.8's, they've all been 52's...
    Maybe this?

https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...ntake-manifold

or this?

https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...ntake-manifold

For that matter, has anyone tried one of those MPx 60 or 62mm TB's yet?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    They look ancient, so I'm installing some good +40s that I had laying around

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    dont forget to get a lip on that 58MM... after coming on and off a few times my 58mm started to blow the line off under boost.
    How did you address that? I haven't put enough boost through one to blow off the IC pipe yet, but I know that day is coming.

Cordes I've been saying mine is 'getting close' for 6 weeks now, always some other delay At least I've made it to the templating/final mock up/gasket cutting stage. Getting close

I'm gonna start with my optimized 52mm TB but after all the 'new set up' bugs are worked out I want to do a B2B swap with a 58mm and no othe changes to see if there is an advantage. Problem is, I can't find one, I bought one off ebay that *looked* like a 58(guy musta had tiny little chic hands) but it was a 52. Nothing avail from rockauto, where are you guys sourcing them from?
    I've got a pile of them from the JY.

If anyone finds the PN, I would appreciate it too. I've been cutting 52mm gaskets.

turbo addict

They look ancient, so I'm installing some good +40s that I had laying around
    phew! just wanted to make sure because you hadn't mentioned it in the post, these stock injectors are 30 years old now!

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post

phew! just wanted to make sure because you hadn't mentioned it in the post, these stock injectors are 30 years old now!
    I haven't been reusing them in my builds for about 15 years now. Anything that's seen enough boost to necessitate a 3 bar map has automatically gotten larger injectors.

I fired the car up today and it ran well. I need to adjust the shifter cables because it won't go into reverse now. Other than that everything is looking really good. There isn't any smoke coming out the pipe and I don't see any leaks. Hopefully the car responds well to all the mods and the engine holds together for a while. Joy just likes to drive it, so I think a strong TII setup will suit her well.

Thanks to all of those who have contributed to the thread. It was a huge help while I was doing this, especially since I haven't swapped pistons and rods like this in an engine before.

Final update on this. I got back today after putting over 800mi on the rebuild at SDAC. Some slightly spirited driving, but nothing crazy and the boost was only set at 7PSI. I'm 99% sure it was a failed LM which caused 3&4 to lean out and kill a piston. Regardless, I think the car will be good to go for a while. With how much Joy drives the car, it could last for many years. Thanks to all who helped with this process. I really appreciate all of the advice and feedback.

Re: Joytona

I didn't see a more comprehensive thread for this car, so I turned this into a project log.

Today we took the car out for the second time this year. I noticed that all four brakes were dragging when I took Joy out for dinner a couple months back. I deduced that the flexible trailer brake line Tim had used from the MC to the prop valve must have been sucking shut and locking pressure in the whole system. I replaced those with some stainless lines. Upon bleeding the brakes, the MC itself failed, so I replaced that last night. The brakes are decent, but it is apparent that I need to upgrade the fronts to match the 24mm MC.

Last night we went to a local car show and since there was the threat of rain and a smaller turnout, we were in the top 20 and received a trophy. I was surprised, as there were actually a lot of very nice cars there. We were certainly a standout though, as the only FWD car, and one of only two cars from the 80s. It was good to get out and represent the club with the car again.

turbo addict

nvmind - posted to out of date post ..oops

Well, I took one of the kids on a ride last weekend. We went about 40mi and the car seemed way down on power. It didn't take long to realize that the front brakes were dragging badly. Since I like to keep an extra 91+ big brake setup lying around, I decided to install that today. I've seen many posts about the big brakes fitting behind the 6.5" crabs, but either those reports are somewhat loosely defining "fitting" or the 91+ big brakes are a bit further out toward the face of the wheel than the 89 big brakes. The latter seems to make more sense to me. Regardless, they're on, but barely. The wheels don't show any signs of the wheels rubbing, but I'll be watching them closely. If anything, a set of RPF1s might be in order.

On to the pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4629.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	64966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4626.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	64967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4625.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	64968

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    . I've seen many posts about the big brakes fitting behind the 6.5" crabs, but either those reports are somewhat loosely defining "fitting" or the 91+ big brakes are a bit further out toward the face of the wheel than the 89 big brakes. The latter seems to make more sense.

On to the pics...
    I noticed that as well but after the pads got broken in I was surprised with the extra clearance. I also run crabs as my winters. I riun 91+ 11" fronts with 87-88 wedge disc on the rear. Hawk pads as per your suggestion. HTS Summer, LTS in the winter.. I love the LTS for the winter as they don't need warm up time and B) don't cool down at winter temp at highway speeds.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

That's what I was hoping for, and is great to hear. Do you know where your wheels were cast? Mine were cast in England.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast