Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joytona

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Joytona

ETA: The initial piston problems have been solved and this is now a project log for the car. Things have come a long way since Joy bought the car a couple years ago.

The Joytona had very low compression in #4 after returning home from SDAC. I pulled it today and confirmed that it is indeed a cracked piston. It is a lightweight rod motor so I'm not thrilled about putting much time or money into its repair. Any ideas on the cause of failure? What would you guys do if you were in my situation. Joy will mainly drive it to a few car shows a year including SDAC. Pics to come.
    Last edited by cordes; 08-18-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Re: Cracked Piston What Would You Do?

IMG_1763 by Brian Cordes, on Flickr

IMG_1760 by Brian Cordes, on Flickr

IMG_1759 by Brian Cordes, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Note that if you click on the picture it'll take you to the flickr page and you can zoom in pretty far. They're big images.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

How are the cylinder walls? If they are good enough that you could get away without haveong to bore the block, put in a set of used TII Pistons and rods. I have a set if you need them.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Stick a used piston in it?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

rings to tight..
    new old piston.. looser ring gap

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    How are the cylinder walls? If they are good enough that you could get away without haveong to bore the block, put in a set of used TII Pistons and rods. I have a set if you need them.
    They're quite good. I was surprised. I can't hang a nail on them at all.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Put a used piston in it and open up ALL the ring gaps (except oil rings ). And then figure out why it broke before you push it too hard.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Part it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Put a used piston in it and open up ALL the ring gaps (except oil rings ). And then figure out why it broke before you push it too hard.
    I'm concerned that #3 and #4 look so lean. I wonder if it's a bad/failing injector driver caused it to lean out and get hot?

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Part it out.
    Joy won't let me.

That's a bad failure though. Were the broken pieces still "in place" when you pull the piston? What was she doing when it failed? Driving it hard or just driving around?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

It was one piece. It was in place and one probably wouldn't have noticed unless they were looking for it. She just drove the car normally. It has always been a bit of a dog IMO, but it got really bad on the way home and started burning a ton of oil.

I'd say swap it out. It's possible it has been that way for a while, who knows when it actually happened or if it wasn't a small crack that just got bigger.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

man you guys like to hate on the lw rod motors but compared to the 6 rebuilt 85 motors I had .. that all spun the rod bearings in less than 6 months .. my 3 lw rod 86 motors were my best ones .. next to my new crate 93 2.5T motor
    hell I hadda drive one of the 86's for 3 weeks with a stuck wastegate before I could kill it.. and with a TII top end on it it was quicker than a new in the day 98 vette - while bouncing off over boost shut down
    in the day I had a garage full of disposable motors

I would really just stuff another lw rod and piston in and play on .. hell it probably dosen't owe you anything
    and if you can score a piston still pressed onto the rod it saves a trip to have it assembeled

I'll add my reason for buying a set of BC rods was weight .. or lack of

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

If Joy really likes the car, I would do a rebuild on the short block. Hopefully the bores are good and you don't need an overbore. Find a set of good TII/TIII rods, have a machine shop clean up/check the block and give it a hone and reassemble with another identical piston and new rings and bearings. I would go with the FSM ring gaps if you use stock(ish) cast pistons.

If you do end up buying all new pistons, have it overbored.

OK, I found some pistons and rods in the basement tonight, so I think I'll go that route. What do you guys recommend for rings?

As mentioned, the engine doesn't owe me anything so I'll attempt this. If it doesn't pan out, I'll have a machine shop go through a common block TII engine that I picked up this last fall.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I like the Sealed Power rings. Never had a problem with those. For the most part, they've checked out gap-wise right out of the box.

turbo addict

if for some reason you need to bore it out I can help you keep things on the cheep side

I happen to have a set of .75mm os 86 style speed pro or sterling pistions I don't need

they're old enough to be pre hyper puke , cast

came outta one of those 85 motors I had

been sitting here with no reason for use for 27 years .. really low mileage , driven hard but little wear

if you need em holler .. you'll like the price ...

Thanks for the offer. I love this site and the Shelby Dodge Automobile Club. Guys are always willing to lend a hand and help out with parts etc.

turbo addict

no prob & yeah I know exactly what you mean

one reason I love the hobby too

Hybrid booster

pop a used piston in it. and get back to driving it. I would pull the injectors and have a local shop clean and check them for you.
    might look a bit lean over there.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast