Thread: Brake question for my van

Garrett booster

Brake question for my van

My van has the smaller 10" brakes from the factory. What would be stopping me from ordering new oem 11" calipers and rotors from rockauto and bolting them on?

Hybrid booster

Re: Brake question for my van

are you talking about the van 11 inch rotors. or the daytona/spirit 11 inch rotors?

Garrett booster

The Van. I see rock auto has an option for 10 or 11 based on if you had a 14" or 15" wheel.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

What size wheels do you have ? The larger caliper/rotor will not fit inside the 14" wheels.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

I put 16's on it. Came with 14's

turbo addict

You need to install the 91+ bolt in bearing knuckles then order calipers/brackets for a 91+ van with 15in wheels. Then if you want to keep 5x100 bolt pattern you need to order rotors for a spirit r/t or daytona r/t. If you want to swap to the 5x114.3 you can get everything for a 91+ van with 15in wheels
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Ok, I guess I am a little confused. If you go on RockAuto and go under the brake section for an 88 Van, there are rotors/calipers for 14" wheels and rotors/calipers for 15" wheels. if you open up the info the rotors for the 15" wheels are an inch bigger. Why cant I just buy the 15" wheel setup brakes and bolt it on my van? Why go to a 91+ when bigger brakes already came from the factory in 88?

Hybrid booster

the bolt pattern is different on 15 inch van.. you go from 5x100 to 5x114. do you have a set of 5x114 wheels?

you will need the hubs./knuckls to match the calipers/rotors you want to run.

if you want to stay 5x100 and run 11 inch brakes. you need to get 91+ knuckls. and use Rt rotors.

If you dont care if you go to 5x114. just use 84-90 15 inch van knuckles/hubs/rotors/calipers.

you cant just put 15 inch 1G van rotors/calipers on a 14inch 1g vans knuckles if that if what you are asking.

Garrett booster

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

turbo addict

Also, caliper brackets for the 84-90 15in vans are hard to come by, the 91+ ones are available right from the parts store. Also more brake pad availability on the 91+ setup.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a few questions along these lines.

I noticed that the 91-95 minivans have the same cast control arms as the rest of the k cars. But do they have the same knuckles? I thought the 91+ 11" minivans had bigger calipers and brake pads than the 91+ 11" Spirits/Daytonas, but on RockAuto, the part number cross reference shows minivans and Spirits/Daytonas being the same.

I already have 91+ knuckles with brackets and calipers from a Daytona. I'm just making sure that's the biggest front brake combination possible and that it will in fact bolt into my 90 minivan with 91+ k-frame and control arms. Thanks!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zoskalon View Post
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a few questions along these lines.

I noticed that the 91-95 minivans have the same cast control arms as the rest of the k cars. But do they have the same knuckles? I thought the 91+ 11" minivans had bigger calipers and brake pads than the 91+ 11" Spirits/Daytonas, but on RockAuto, the part number cross reference shows minivans and Spirits/Daytonas being the same.

I already have 91+ knuckles with brackets and calipers from a Daytona. I'm just making sure that's the biggest front brake combination possible and that it will in fact bolt into my 90 minivan with 91+ k-frame and control arms. Thanks!
    As not noted but you already have it, you should run the proper K-member and control arms with the 11" brakes as putting the 91+ suspension on the vans stock control arms will move the wheels out and can cause the CV shaft to seperate.

ALL 91+ cars and vans use the same cast control arm, BUT the car's have the tie rod hole in a different spot, which is good for vans, as it allows us to do a proper u-turn. Also, you can use any knuckle but as noted, the vans came with 5x114, so if that's all you can find, you just need to buy car wheel bearings.

The only difference on brake options for 91+ is the caliper bracket, so if you can't find 11" brakes, you can buy the smaller ones and buy a caliper bracket to get 11" brakes.

Clear as mud?
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 12-30-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info