Thread: ISO: built TII cylinder head OR all the bits to do it myself.

Mitsu booster

Post ISO: built TII cylinder head OR all the bits to do it myself.

Looking for a complete head and valvetrain for a non-common TII rebuild. Cracked my head beyond repair. Might as well replace that clapped out camshaft too! Parts will likely need shipped, I can't drive far. Located in NE Oregon, 97838.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: ISO: built TII cylinder head OR all the bits to do it myself.

All the TII motors used 782 cross drilled heads. Best bet is to start looking on car-part.com.

Doing a quick search doesn't show anything close to you...

Hybrid booster

I've got two junk 782 heads at home. One cracked through the bolt hole on a cam tower. The other is usable if you are willing to run a stock cam. It's a reman head with OSJ cam journals. That limits you to a stock style OSJ cam. It's had the cracks welded between the valve seats, but looks like it led a hard life.

Only reason I'm keeping them is that if I ever decide I want to get a reman head, they require a core return, and these would fit the bill for that...

Mitsu booster

Wow very informitive, thank you. I pulled the head off and there were very small cracks in between the valves in all 4 cylinders. I took it to a machine shop and they told me it wouldn't be worth to fix. So no longer worried about the cracks.

Mitsu booster

Next is the valvetrain and cam, the history of this TII is unknown to me, and upon its disassembly I found many worrying things such as mismached injectors, 1 piston different from the other 3 and a lot of metal contaminant in the oil from the pan to the valve cover. Cam lobes are worn and I'm sure the bearings are too, (the crankshaft was torn up). From here I guess I'll get this head checked and rebuilt, and we will go from there. Thank you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumPeanut View Post
    Next is the valvetrain and cam, the history of this TII is unknown to me, and upon its disassembly I found many worrying things such as mismached injectors, 1 piston different from the other 3 and a lot of metal contaminant in the oil from the pan to the valve cover. Cam lobes are worn and I'm sure the bearings are too, (the crankshaft was torn up). From here I guess I'll get this head checked and rebuilt, and we will go from there. Thank you guys.
    If you need engine parts, there is an excellent seller on ebay selling NOS Mopar 2.2/2.5 parts: http://stores.ebay.com/Allstate-Engi...=p4634.c0.m322

I've bought several items from them without issue. If they don't have what you want listed, call them. They claim to have tons of parts.

When I rebuilt the 2.5 that I'm installing in my Scamp, I found the crank was scarred pretty bad. It was cheaper to buy a new NOS crank from these folks than to have mine reground...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumPeanut View Post
    Wow very informitive, thank you. I pulled the head off and there were very small cracks in between the valves in all 4 cylinders. I took it to a machine shop and they told me it wouldn't be worth to fix. So no longer worried about the cracks.
    did you mean the rest of the head isn't worth rebuilding for some reason or that the cracks made it not worth rebuilding the head?
    'casuse the small cracks between the valves usually don't matter - the fix for those cracks is to easy , you simply peen them closed with a hammer and a punch
    THAT is the correct way to fix those cracks - you just stop them from spreading further by peening them
    - it's a VERY common (non) issue

Mitsu booster

I was not aware the cracks were common and easily dealt with. The shop I took it to said the head was bad due to the cracks. I had him research it real quick, he said ok, head is fine.

Thanks 83Scamp, I'll check out what he has.

Hybrid booster

Nice to hear. as long as the head passes a pressure check ( the cracks havent go into the head side to far)
    then it is good to go.
    hoping you have a roller cam. many of those are available online and from our site vendors@