Thread: Wiring Harness Question

Garrett booster

Wiring Harness Question

I wanted to know if the engine wiring harness out of a 86 daytona with a auto
    transmission would work in a 85 chrysler laser that is a stick shift,both cars are turbo?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Wiring Harness Question

If I'm not mistaken, the only real difference will be the reverse switch connector. I think you'll just have to ground one of the three wires on the plug from the auto car.

turbo addict

you'll need the 86 distributor and the 86 logic module - power module is the same

some of the connectors behind the battery are likely different so the front of engine harness , starter/trans harness and the engine compartment harness are nice to have as a group so all will plug in simply

in 86 mopar changed a bunch of connectors throughout the car as they moved further away from the cordoba/volare era towards the , then, future

wireing is the same for both years otherwise .. just the style of some of the connectors can cause extra efforts

you need the 86 dist to run with the 86 lm , mixing 85 and 86 stuff won't work on this issue

and yeah the reverse neutrel saftey switch stuff will need sorted

std trans has no safety switch , just the reverse switch

idle might be a bit high if using an auto lm in a std trans car

and , the 85 dist should still work if you also use the 85 lm

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been covered is to check the bulkhead (firewall) connectors to be sure they are compatible. The '85 might still use the older 40-pin style, while the '86 is probably the newer 50-pin style. It can be hard to tell the difference without disconnecting them and seeing the pins or pulling back the rubber boot. The 40-pin uses all large pins, while the 50-pin uses a combination of small and large pins. Other than that, I would also check the pinout configurations with the appropriate diagrams in the FSM books as there might have been a slight change between years and also varying option content of each vehicle.