Thread: Assembling Walbro in an L body

Hybrid booster

Assembling Walbro in an L body

OK I have the walbro 255 and replacing the stock 2 pump system on an 85 SC. I don't know exactly how this is supposed to go together and mount on the hanger. Can anyone help?This is how I think it should be put together. L to R: fuel sock cap>black pump hanger> o ring> rubber spacer> fuel pumphttp://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...627_185736.jpgI opened up the black plastic hanger so the fuel pump end can fit:http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...627_193656.jpgI think this is how it should look assembled:http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...627_193636.jpgThe fuel sock cap is just press fit on the rubber O ring? Doesn't seem to sturdy especially with the hanger piece taking up some of the space needed to press it on flush. I saw a post where someone used some stainless wire to tie everything together, so I will do that. Can someone confirm this is assembled correctly?Thanks!
    Last edited by DevoBuzz; 06-30-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: Assembling Walbro in an L body

Also did you just splice into the existing wire for the fuel pump? The wire Walbro gives you is too short to run from the pump to the end of the hanger assembly. The stock wire is much thinner than the Walbro wire so I am questioning if I should remove the stock wiring completely and run thicker gauge wire on the hanger.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Save yourself a lot of frustration, and just buy a pump/hanger assembly for an 89 Omni tbi car, then replace the tbi pump with the Walbro. That hanger is actually made to fit the walbro style pump....

Hybrid booster

Bump for my buddy.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Save yourself a lot of frustration, and just buy a pump/hanger assembly for an 89 Omni tbi car, then replace the tbi pump with the Walbro. That hanger is actually made to fit the walbro style pump....
    $100 for a TBI pump/hanger assembly from RockAuto. Seems like too much cash for just that plastic piece I need. I will give it a go with how a rigged it up. Thx!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Heavier gauge wire is a good idea, easier on the pump.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

I had to do it before, about to do it again. Someone had a write up on here that I followed, but if I don't find it I'll just have to figure it out and I'll take notes.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

I got a surprise last week when I bought a 255 from Summit Racing. I'm trying to buy an in tank replacement pump for my '87 J-Body and the guy I talked to sold me and I received an IN LINE pump telling me that particular 255 Walbro is the one I needed????? I'm now waiting for the refund to my VISA. Am I the only one who has these issues with the suppliers today?

You can use an inline from what I understand, but the in tank one is the 255 walbro. FWDP sells the right one for our cars, but there is some modification required for the pump to fit the hanger. I just don't remember what it is. I think it is self explanatory though once you go to do it.

In fact if I remember correctly, the modification is required on the retaining piece on the butt end of the pump. Something related to the 255 being a tad longer if I remember correctly.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    I got a surprise last week when I bought a 255 from Summit Racing. I'm trying to buy an in tank replacement pump for my '87 J-Body and the guy I talked to sold me and I received an IN LINE pump telling me that particular 255 Walbro is the one I needed????? I'm now waiting for the refund to my VISA. Am I the only one who has these issues with the suppliers today?
    Jer, save yourself the hassle, and order a pump from FWP, just like Jon said. It's well worth it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    You can use an inline from what I understand, but the in tank one is the 255 walbro. FWDP sells the right one for our cars, but there is some modification required for the pump to fit the hanger. I just don't remember what it is. I think it is self explanatory though once you go to do it.

In fact if I remember correctly, the modification is required on the retaining piece on the butt end of the pump. Something related to the 255 being a tad longer if I remember correctly.
    When I installed the Walbro in my new hanger, I had to slightly modify the black insulator because the Walbro is larger in diameter. I also got rid of the white plastic snap on pump retainer that went over the output end. The Walbro is also longer, and since it's already captured by the hose, I didn't see any need for the extra piece. I can take a picture of my assembly and post it if needed. I still haven't installed it yet...

Benefit to the internal vs the external pumps? I have to redo the tank in the Rampage and would trade for the in-tank pump
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

When I installed the Walbro in my new hanger, I had to slightly modify the black insulator because the Walbro is larger in diameter. I also got rid of the white plastic snap on pump retainer that went over the output end. The Walbro is also longer, and since it's already captured by the hose, I didn't see any need for the extra piece. I can take a picture of my assembly and post it if needed. I still haven't installed it yet...

This is exactly how I installed my Aeromotive Stealth340 pump.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Takes up less room(a plus in the trucks). Being immersed in the fuel keeps it cooler.

If I had an external pump, not sure where I would have put the filter.

But be warned, the aftermarket hangers may need some tweaking for your fuel level. Didn't think about that with mine, and at full tank, it barely reads empty. I'm going to have to drain the tank and tweak the float arm at some point...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Takes up less room(a plus in the trucks). Being immersed in the fuel keeps it cooler.

If I had an external pump, not sure where I would have put the filter.

But be warned, the aftermarket hangers may need some tweaking for your fuel level. Didn't think about that with mine, and at full tank, it barely reads empty. I'm going to have to drain the tank and tweak the float arm at some point...
    If I had to go "external", I would use a surge tank. I still may do this out of fear that my 340 may not be enough
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=