Thread: time for a chip.

Hybrid booster

time for a chip.

just getting my feet wet on this end of the cars and my SMEC is back with a socket.
    And i have a pocket full of blank chips.

Looking to get a few things done on a tune. was hoping for some advice.
    2.5 T1. 5 speed. ported 782. +1 valves. beehive springs and PT lifters. polished chamber deshrouded valves.
    highly ported 2 piece with a 58mm T/B. stock highly ported T2 garret. and highly ported stock manifold.
    un intercooled at this point with a set of +20's and ADJFPR. 255pump.

as far as getting a tune:
    Looking to get the fans turned and off for a 180 thermostat. so on at what 185.off at 170 ?

Looking for any advice on changes to make to the timing curve?
    i have bumped the stock timing to 12*

at this point the van loves the +20 injectors i think all the porting has off set the larger injectors.
    no gas smell or smokes at this time. after the tune i planned to have it dynoed to check AF and then re tuned.

I am using a MBC so i am really not concerned about max boost.
    I am also un inter-cooled at this time so going over 14 PSI is pointless.

I am interested in the anti lag. BANG BANG as they call it. as a fun stunt for scaring old people at lights now and then. or showing off to a ricer. whats a good RPM for max noise and fireballzz?

I seem to have a bit of a bog off idle. seems like a lean stumble before it takes off.
    what do i need to look at or ask about to get a larger "accelerator pump" fuel charge?
    is that tuneable ?

what else is available in the way of running? stuff that is shut off or adjusted on just about every tune?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: time for a chip.

I'd say fans off at 180 and on at 190. Probably don't want to be cooling it down to where it's closing the t-stat.

On my 2.5, I ran a lot more timing in the TimingFromMapPartThrottle table in vacuum and low boost, but near stock above 8-10psi.

Shackwrr is probably the one to ask about the anti-lag, I haven't fooled with it much. I had my staging limiter (launch control) set at 4k.

There are 2 PumpShot tables, one from Map and the other from TPS. Try each and see which one helps the most, but I'd guess the TPS would be the one to start with.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Re: time for a chip.

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post

Looking for any advice on changes to make to the timing curve?
    Only really need to adjust for over 14psi most guys like copying the mopar performance tunes as a start
    i have bumped the stock timing to 12*
    On the distributor? I thought stock was 12, it is generally recommended to leave the distributor at the stock place and then adjust in the cal so the cal knows where it is really at.

at this point the van loves the +20 injectors i think all the porting has off set the larger injectors.
    no gas smell or smokes at this time. after the tune i planned to have it dynoed to check AF and then re tuned.
    First thing you should do is buy your own Wideband, if you are going to tune/ run high boost you really should be monitoring your AF ratio

I am also un inter-cooled at this time so going over 14 PSI is pointless.
    14PSI is quite high for non intercooler IMO, factory cars limit to 11 without IC , it can be done but i have seen intercooled cars detonate at 14psi especially when messing with timing and the heavy load of a heavy van

what else is available in the way of running? stuff that is shut off or adjusted on just about every tune?
    Adjusting Rev and Boost Limiters are things I usually do