Thread: 3.0L Tuning

Garrett booster

3.0L Tuning

So I just got off the phone with the machine shop and the guy there said there was no point in doing much more then a stock rebuild if I cant get into the computer because it would never run right. Whats available for it if anything?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 3.0L Tuning

rob M should have more input on this. he has been using a 3.0 cal that is compatable with mptune.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

if you are just porting/ changing compression, you can get an adjustable pressure regulator to adjust fuel to a point, and move the distributor to adjust timing. Ondonti ran 500+ horsepower on a turbo 3.0 and a stock computer with these add-on/piggyback type devices. You should search in the 3.0 section http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/fo...Turbo-Engines!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Haven't played with it much yet due to various driveline bugs popping up, but the current MP Tune stock cal in it now is working fine, no more EMR routine hiccups. Got to replace another axle then I should be able to start tweaking it in earnest. So far most of the tables needed for tuning it NA are identified, IE main fuel and spark tables. Rev limiter also, haven't tried changing it yet to verify but I will this week hopefully, or next week during the holiday.

So yes, you can get into the computer and change things now. You'll have to get your ecu socketed (which I'm not yet set up to do) so you can at least take the chip in and out to burn a cal for it. I have a flashable unit built by Rob L at BoostButton before I bought him out, I have the stuff to build them also but again, am not yet setup to. Hopefully by the end of this year I will be.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

What about 3.0l SMECs? Are there any plans to get those figured out or are they already? I don't imagine there are a lot of them still out there so I could understand if nobody really cares about them. Just curious.

1BADVAN is right you don't really need to change anything in the computer to get it to run decent. It won't be optimal without, at least, changing the fuel curves but it's not like it will be a turd with the stock cal.

Garrett booster

Ok cool sounds good. What I gather from that Greek is that a tuning system is in the works for this setup anyway. Consider me in when something becomes available depending on whats involved.

Hybrid booster

sounds like your machine shop needs to do machine work. and not try and tune your car.

sounds like they have an opinion on things that they do not have an understanding of.

I did alot of research on my own. then I told my machine shop what i wanted done. heights. cuts measurements. pressures. I told them.

shave the head and block a bit to get compression. look at the diamante pistons.
    port the heads out. and look into cams. grab a AFPR and you should be good to go.