Thread: SDAC 27 Road Construction

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

SDAC 27 Road Construction

There is a lot of construction in the Detroit area this summer. The exit ramp from Northbound I-75 to Square Lake Rd is closed as is the entrance ramp from Square Lake Rd to Northbound I-75. This will make getting to and from the Marriott (host hotel) difficult.

To get to the Host Hotel from Northbound I-75 it is suggested that you drive on up to University Dr, get off there, cross the freeway and get back on going south. The southbound exit to Square Lake Rd is open. Also, you can go to the M-59 west exit, and take that to Opdyke Rd and then go south on Opdyke to the host hotel.

To get to Northbound I-75 from the Marriott, take Opdyke Rd north to M-59 east. Go to the Northbound I-75 exit.

When going home, taking southbound I-75 is not possible through Detroit as there is an 8 mile long stretch of the southbound lanes that are closed for the next 2 years. The alternate route is to take (from the Marriott) Opdyke Rd south to Square Lake Rd west. Take Square Lake Rd to Telegraph Rd south, to I-696 west, to I-275 south to I-75 south. And actually, this is the route recommended for both coming to and going from SDAC 27. It is shown on the map below.

Barry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	semich_route.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	61032  
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: SDAC 27 Road Construction

Thanks for the construction updates Barry! Hopefully anyone running GPS get's routed around the construction too!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Hopefully we won't encounter any Romulan resistance on that route you described...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Also as an FYI. My Dad used to make weekly trips up that way from Indiana. If you are coming from Indiana, or across from Illinois, or out west, he says the best way to get to the hotel is to take I-69 North up to Flint, then I-75 South into the North side of Detroit. It's a little longer route, but it avoids all the Detroit traffic, and ends up being a faster route.

Sorry to disagree Scamp, but that is simply not true. I just looked it up and just the stretch of I-75 from I-69 to the host hotel exit is 42 miles. And that is just half the distance you describe. There is no way is it faster. The route I described doesn't go through Detroit traffic and is the shortest route.

At rush hour it may be a little slow at times, but it moves and unless there is a serious accident there won't be any sitting still in traffic. And we drive fast here. On I-696 "left laners" will be doing well over 80, count on it. On Telegraph Rd, I think the posted limit is 50 but you won't find hardly anyone doing less than 60.

From Indiana, I would suggest taking I-69 north to I-94 east to M-14 east to 1-275 north, then the same route I outlined below.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Sorry to disagree Scamp, but that is simply not true. I just looked it up and just the stretch of I-75 from I-69 to the host hotel exit is 42 miles. And that is just half the distance you describe. There is no way is it faster. The route I described doesn't go through Detroit traffic and is the shortest route.

At rush hour it may be a little slow at times, but it moves and unless there is a serious accident there won't be any sitting still in traffic. And we drive fast here. On I-696 "left laners" will be doing well over 80, count on it. On Telegraph Rd, I think the posted limit is 50 but you won't find hardly anyone doing less than 60.

From Indiana, I would suggest taking I-69 north to I-94 east to M-14 east to 1-275 north, then the same route I outlined below.

Barry
    Barry, you are dead on here, especially with the route you outlined from Indiana. Depending on the time of day, the only other way I would go is to cut across on US24. They're redone it fairly recently and it's fast. However, the traffic in Toledo and Detroit can be a killer at times.

Yeah, I went US24 once returning from Indy and it did move, but there were a lot of small towns IIRC. But again that was probably 20-30 years ago. Coming home from the Nats, I've never gone through Toledo on I-75 at less than 75-80, it has always moved well for me, but that was on Sunday afternoons too.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The new sections of 24 make it 70mph with a divided highway for the vast majority of it. I'd say it's all but interstate now to be honest. It's been quicker than going up 69 ever time I've taken it from indy.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post

Barry
    You live up there Barry, so I'll defer to your better judgement. Sorry if I misled anybody...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Thank you for posting this info!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

My pleasure Mike.

I am sure there is a ton of construction going on that I haven't seen yet. After suffering with terrible roads for the last few years, Michigan raised the gas tax to help fund repairs. There is construction everywhere it seems, but it is especially bad along I-75 for a few miles south of the host hotel right up past it for about a mile.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Planning a test run tomorrow which means I have a meeting at CTC Auburn Hills. My last 2 trips to CTC Waze actually routed me from CTC north on I75 to I69 instead of across Sq. Lake or M59 to 24 as I typically have in the past but I was also leaving at peak rush hour. I'll see which way it sends me tomorrow...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.