Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SDAC 27 BS Thread

SDAC 27 BS Thread

About ready to pull the trans and get everything staged to install the 555. Found the driver's side tube control arm spherical rod ends are bad, play side to side and front to back. Wasn't expecting that, but glad I saw it and ordered new ones. Also pulled the power steering pump and going to either loop the line or just plug it. Been manual for a while, so no big deal. Probably not great to run it with a PS rack and not actually run the pump, but I plan to make sure there is fluid in it and just seal it up. Turbo was cool to see out of the car, really like how the car was done. Thought it would be hard to get to everything, but all in all it was easy to work on. Should have the radiator done this week, so lots happening with the car just before the show!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Official SDAC-27 Discussion Thread

Big SDAC prep weekend for me. First, to have to get the tow-vehicle squared away, replace questionable power steering plumbing, fresh fluids throughout, fresh dampers too.
    Welding up a mount to secure the pit bike on the trailer. Have a plan together for that. Also have to make a mount for a winch I hope to never have to use.
    Finish up the boost controller install on the race car, get the SD-card data logger working, shift light, get some road tuning miles on it, window bushings, replace a door handle, install new 5-point harness.

What's everybody else got left to do?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post

What's everybody else got left to do?
    Lol!
    What i got on my list might not even get completed for Cecil in Nov, nevermind SDAC!
    But, a near top-of-the-list item is to make hotel reservations!

1 boost control/actuator testing
    2 transfer gear swap
    3 work on logging device
    4 pm tow dolly
    5 front end lowering/alignment
    6 fuel tank replacement with baffle
    7 configure/pack essentials
    And probably more i'm forgetting.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I think that might have been Jon Trotter's 3rd favorite SDAC memory.
    You're still on my short list for that one. Slowe didn't help either.

1. Swap transmission to 555, install new TU clutch
    2. Install new radiator, drill holes to mount it.
    3. Install and wire up new gauges.
    4. Install control arm heim joints that are worn on the driver's side.
    5. Possibly install TU R5 cam, but this one is optional.
    6. Install +40s, install 255 fuel pump
    7. Calibrate the car, I have the cal but will need to make adjustments.
    8. Align car.
    9. Secure trailer and load everything up!!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Look out SDAC, here we come...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    You are having a baby?
    That is the only excuse allowed. Having to be in the delivery room...
    I bought a house. I was supposed to close on May 19th which would've given me time to make it up there for Saturday and Sunday, but we didn't close until June 2nd thanks to my lender. All discretionary spending is on hold until the house is up to snuff, which means the money both for SDAC and to finish the car are instead buying paint and flooring. The upside is I now have an oversized two car garage now.

I'm still waiting on some parts, but I expect to get the headlights and fog lights into the car today. I'll be ticked if the high/low beam housings don't show up today.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    because the movement of the ring gear "paddles " out the trans fluid and hurts the rear diff. It needs to be running to replenish the diff area.
    Easy Fix... Just weld off the diff area (like the really early 413s) and fill with diff lube! Problem solved! :-)

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Why not just drive with the front engine on the hwy and use the back one for the drag strip?
    This back engine just won't stay cool enough on the hyway. I'm out, as much as I'd love to go. I've been at this crap for the past 3 weeks and just can't get enough airflow without cutting up the body. Sorry. I was looking forward to the AWD class hahahha
    There was a pump to circ fluid for towing an auto. This is whst you need to just tow along the rear running gear without it running.
    I'll see if i can find it...

Here is your solution:
    http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towin...ubePumpKit.php

Long term project plans were to go dual drivetrain in MeanMini. This is what i was going to use for towing the rear around until needed...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

This back engine just won't stay cool enough on the hyway. I'm out, as much as I'd love to go. I've been at this crap for the past 3 weeks and just can't get enough airflow without cutting up the body. Sorry. I was looking forward to the AWD class hahahha
    Matchbox used to have no problems keeping cool, then the stock fan finally died. An aftermarket one did not work as well, but was okay...then I lost the heater core. The new replacement was a bit smaller and thats when I had not been able to keep Matchbox as cool as I like in traffic, 210-225 in stop and go traffic....solution was an oil cooler. Where your oil filter used to screw onto the block you screw on an adapter that sends oil out one fitting and into the other to go into the filter and back into the motor. The fittings on the adapter go to and from an oil cooler. Buy two and try them out rather than give up. It took all of 10 minutes.

I never realized until I removed the heater box that coolant always went through the heater core, I thought the cables controlled a coolant valve somewhere in it. Nope, the cables only opened and closed plastic doors in the box that controlled air movement.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

A little more progress yesterday. I've only been able to get a few hours in here or there to work on the car over the last couple of days. It doesn't help that I'm still waiting on some parts for this project. It's getting ridiculous.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I have been looking on the bright side that this didn't happen halfway to Detroit. This is the fuel pump module on my tow vehicle. Hope to have it back up and running on Saturday. This truck really does not have much rust under it, but this is a common problem I've read. It could have been disastrous. Taking time that I needed to be spending on the Horizon, it will be a mad dash to get ready.

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Got the new fan, controller and radiator mounts installed and it's working great. Keeping it from overheating due to lack of airflow will be a thing of the past. The new setup is a Volvo S70 2-speed fan and relay unit. Low speed for the fan is controlled by a Derale 180* on/160* off temp switch on the outlet side of the radiator. High speed is controlled by the SBEC. Need to stick the scanner on to verify what engine temp it allows, but ballparking it off the dash gauge I doubt it hits 200* before the low speed fan turns on. Low speed feels to move about as much air as a factory GLHS unit, high speed is insane flow.

Now to move onto the suspension, A/C and tuning.

Only 2 weekends to have everything else done! Get to work!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Got the new fan, controller and radiator mounts installed and it's working great. Keeping it from overheating due to lack of airflow will be a thing of the past. The new setup is a Volvo S70 2-speed fan and relay unit. Low speed for the fan is controlled by a Derale 180* on/160* off temp switch on the outlet side of the radiator. High speed is controlled by the SBEC. Need to stick the scanner on to verify what engine temp it allows, but ballparking it off the dash gauge I doubt it hits 200* before the low speed fan turns on. Low speed feels to move about as much air as a factory GLHS unit, high speed is insane flow.

Now to move onto the suspension, A/C and tuning.

Only 2 weekends to have everything else done! Get to work!
    TII style rad or something else?

turbo addict

It's one of the aluminum GLHS units Turbos unleashed offered several years back. Installed it in my Spirit R/T.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I need all the motivation I can get these days as shipping problems on parts I've been patiently waiting on has been driving me nuts over the last week or so. Am I the only one receiving late shipments on stuff that's absolutely necessary to make it to SDAC? It's unreal.
    It's not just you... I shipped 3, 65+ lb boxes from work on Tuesday to a plant in Memphis, TN for a job this weekend. 2 arrived yesterday on schedule, one isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday... These are not small boxes, about 18" each way, they are heavy, and insured for $4000 each due the contents. The first two got there without issues, the third went from our plant, through Indy, down to Nashville, TN, back to Indy, back to Nashville, to be in Memphis Monday....

Thanks UPS...

Re: SDAC 27 BS Thread

The headlights are done and they're amazing. The headlight buckets and grill didn't turn out too bad. The control arms are cooling as I type this. In place of the stock bushings will be some energy suspension units which I picked up off of Amazon for $13. I have the caliper paint drying, and I put the TM strut hats on some BCs earlier today. I'm just waiting on some ball joints and tie rod ends and I'll have poly everything in the front with new struts etc., etc.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cordes, if Carroll Shelbski brings his LS, we're going to have to get some pics of them together!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

No doubt. It would be awesome to have another Lancer Shelby there. What a treat that would be. I can't remember seeing two of them together in person before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast