Thread: street beast modded correctly 300 to 350 fwhp

Garrett booster

street beast modded correctly 300 to 350 fwhp

10th June 2017
    tazaroo
    Mark Hamilton
    Ramseur, NC 27316
    markandlauraham@gmail.com.

I am looking for a fun turbo Mopar mainly for the street and occasionally at the track. The cosmetic appearance is important with little to no rust but my primary concern is the engine, drivetrain, electronics ect.. I am not looking for a project. I am looking for a car preferably already modified correctly to the 300-350 fwhp range that should be as dependable as these cars can be. An example: t2 ported head, intake, exaust manifold, 2.5-3 exaust, super 60 or quick spooling "smaller" big turbo with correct fuel, Cal, and needed support mods. Nothing to crazy as that would kill reliability and probably increase lag. Interested mainly in the 5 seat Mopars sort of in the order of Omni/glhs, Shelby lancer/es, csx, spirit. I am also considering a srt4 with stage 3 or so. Obviously higher fwdhp is even more important in the heavier cars. Reasonably priced of course. Respond here, pm or email me. Thanks
    Last edited by tazaroo; 06-10-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: street beast modded correctly 300 to 350 fwhp

What's your budget?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Good luck with the search Mark. I will try to keep my eyes out too. There are usually some SRT4's for sale in the eastern part of thr state, near the military bases. Also something around GA or FL will get you a nice rust free something.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

It's hard to give an exact budget because it depends exactly on which car, the condition and mods on the car but lets just say I figure after negotiting price should be between 4 and 6k. Sellers know never get the dollars invested in mods back out of the car when they sell. I sure didn't when I sold my rt lol.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Too bad you are in the US, cause I'm just about to put up the wife's 12 sec grocery getting in the next week or so and it fits your description to a T

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Garrett booster

Yeah, importing a car in would be 😠

Mitsu booster

Easy.

turbo addict

there is that nice fat exchange rate on us to cdn $'s ....

good for youse guys but crappola for us

Garrett booster

Yeah, I forgot about the exchange rate difference. I thought importing cars and registering them from Canada was hard. Of course I don't know if I want your car yet LOL.

Let's wait and see some info about it. It is a AA body, and sounds like it fits the build requirements.
    Older cars aren't as bad to import, and it may be worth it. Doesn't hurt to do the research.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Hybrid booster

friend of mine bought a S13 GTS skyline in canada. showed the bill of sale. and drove it across the boarder.. done.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Importing from Canada is pretty easy. Especially if the car was sold in both places.

Mexico, on the other hand, is a whole different ball of wax...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

How about a 4 passenger Rampage RT with 25 years development invested in it? It just sits now, CA smog Nazi's won't allow me to drive it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140507_184420.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	60969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140412_093036.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	568.7 KB 
ID:	60970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140413_121944.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	531.8 KB 
ID:	60971  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    How about a 4 passenger Rampage RT with 25 years development invested in it? It just sits now, CA smog Nazi's won't allow me to drive it
    Which is assinine, because you know that EFI TIII is way cleaner than the old carbed motor it came with...

AJ, if I had space & time to come get it, that thing would be mine... Don't have to worry about smog Nazis in Indiana...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

It's a 92 Spirit ES 2.5 turbo 5 spd with overhead console, working A/C, cruise ect. Full bodied full interior with MP struts up front and KYB's in the rear. It had Ibocs all around but I couldn't stand the constant "dipping" in the front, like the springs were too weak for the car, so I removed them and I believe there are a set of low k 92 Iroc springs in there now.

It was an S60 car when I got it over 10 years ago. Back then it seemed people were having trouble propelling one of these heavier Mopars into the 12's and I was curious just how tough that could be. So it became a little project of mine. A nice summer driver, which mostly became the wifes after some time, and something I could "test" out part on and see just how easy 12's could be in a heavier platform.

One of the first things I did was pull everything apart, had the trans rebuilt, leaked down and checked the forged Venolia shortblock, then put it all back together with ported head, ported exhaust mani, 46 trim stage 1 turbo .63 A/R turbine and the 2 piece ported intake that I had previously run on the Charger. TBI cam, dual core FMIC with 2 1/2" hardpipes, 52mm TB, Talon BOV and SRT-4 2 1/2" exhaust, which I was going to change up to 3" as well as swap the 2 1/2" S/V for one of my 3" mandrel S/V's in a BtB test at the local track and dyno, just to show ppl what the difference is.

Interestingly enough, I have never tracked the Spirit. I may have driven it to SDAC once, I know I took it to Brainard to watch Warren Stramer run his awesome Laser some years ago with the 50 trim still on there.

We have driven the car to Minneapolis several times as well as across Canada to B.C. and Edmonton several times over the years. Rather than a 12 sec track star, the Spirit turned into an incredibly reliable and Fun to drive cruiser. The most amazing thing about the car is how nicely it drives and the stellar mpg it gets. (35-38 hwy) Even I can completely forget I'm driving a well modded car at times, as it drives so tame, until I put my foot down lol

I Gtec'd it several years ago on 16-17psi pump 93 oct and showed a casual trap speed of about 105mph which showed me 12's would be in the bag with me driving on slicks, but again, just never seemed to have the time to get down and do it.

It originally had a dual friction clutch for drivability, but it could not hold the power the Spirit was making and for several years I turned it back to 12-13psi and ran 91 oct to avoid slipping clutch syndrome.

Two years ago I upgraded to 6 puck ceramic clutch, did the brakes all around just last summer and new tires all around as well. I change the oil every 5000kms and depending on how hard I drive it, it will usually use about 1/2 liter of oil over that time.

I'm sure there are many things I'm leaving out, but don't want to write a novel either. The body is clean, there is one spot that started coming up 3-4 years ago on the pass rear wheel well, but has just slowly blistered and paint has not come of, so I've just left it. Floor is completely solid as is the rest of the body. Interior is very clean. It has some signs of wear, stone chips and little dings here and there that are only noticeable when you Look for them.

I will say, the decision to got 6 puc was interesting, as I believed it would have very little effect on the manners of this Spirit. I have since let several people who I would describe as "timid" standard trans drivers, drive the car and never told them it was a puc clutch and every one was able to manage just fine. Funny thing, the one flaw I have always mentioned to the wife about her driving, "you Don't have to rev it that high to move the car in 1st, just take it from an idle almost." First time she drove with the new 6 puc I didn't say a thing, just drive it how you naturally drive and it was a Perfect fit! lol She drives the piuc clutch Better than she did the dual friction! (go figure)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1497.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	60972  

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    You literally would have to pay me 50K$ a year per diem just to tolerate living in California.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    You literally would have to pay me 50K$ a year per diem just to tolerate living in California.
    That would be a per annum.

Garrett booster

[QUOTE=Shadow;1125805]It's a 92 Spirit ES 2.5 turbo 5 spd with overhead console, working A/C, cruise ect. Full bodied full interior with MP struts up front and KYB's in the rear. It had Ibocs all around but I couldn't stand the constant "dipping" in the front, like the springs were too weak for the car, so I removed them and I believe there are a set of low k 92 Iroc springs in there now.

Thanks for the info. I may want to ask you more about your car. This cars build fits the general idea anyway it sounds like.

I like it Rob. That sounds like a good fit to me.
    And looks like it received the sort of care that the next owner vould enjoy.
    Wayne H.