Thread: 1984 carbed 2.6 to SMEC swap? Sparkys needed.

Garrett booster

Question 1984 carbed 2.6 to SMEC swap? Sparkys needed.

The car is an 84 E Class with the mitsu engine. I am not afraid of electrical and would like to do the upgrade to SMEC for a 2.5 as that is what I am most experienced with. So with that being said, what is the best course of action? Can I get a SMEC harness and splice the engine controls into the bulkhead connector as required? Will things like the digital talking dash still work? Or does every wire in the car need to be replaced (I dont really see why that would be necessary, but enlighten me)

Garrett booster

Re: 1984 carbed 2.6 to SMEC swap? Sparkys needed.

I would start by finding the bulkhead pinout for your car. The pins can be removed from the bulkhead connector so even if you can't get a harness that plugs right in and works you can pull the pins out and rearrange them as needed. I have no experience with the talking dash but I don't see why it wouldn't still work unless the resistance values for the senders(oil pressure, water temp etc..) changed since 84'. Ideally you will probably want to get the entire under-hood harness from a donor car.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm right there with you. Working on converting my 83 Scamp to a 2.5 turbo SMEC setup. Very little info out there on this. I haven't started the wiring yet, but I do plan on doing a write-up once I get to that point.

What I have gathered from folks on this forum is, the best way to do this is combine the two harnesses. Keep the lighting portion of your existing harness, and keep the engine controls wiring from the donor SMEC harness and combine the two. By doing that, you should only need to splice a few wires into the bulkhead connector. I personally ran a separate harness for the fuel pump so it doesn't go through the bulkhead connector.

But as lightbulb010 stated. The first thing you need is the FSM for your car, and whatever donor car you are using so you have the pinouts & schematics for both. It will make your life a lot easier...

turbo addict

this is a continuation of an earlier thread by the OP
    what he first needs to know is what exactly is the bulkhead connector in his 84 K
    a 40 way or 50 way
    as I brought up the thought on his other thread that I think the 84 might be the 40 way

.. but I wasn't entirely sure on this

also I believe the terminals in the 40 way are smaller than the 50 way thus a 50 way spade will not fit into the 40 female terminals of the bulkhead connector

below is my post from his other thread
    .................................................. .................................................. ..

I think you might have a harness issue as I seem to remember the 84's still used a 40 way b-h connector as opposed to a 50 way

I could be wrong but if not it's probably a good time to put that thought out there

the 88 harness would have the 50 way just like an 86 or 87 but uses a smec instead of the lm/pm

adding a later model dash harness might yet again cause issues as the rest of the body wireing might well not match to

I know 84 vs 85 door wireing it totally different at the corners of the dash in a daytona so I wouldn't be suprised if that carried over to the K's as well
    - and in 86 mopar started using different connectors in a lot of locations

Per the 84 parts manual, all cars were 40 way... There appears to be an L-body version & a K-car version, but both are listed as 40 way connectors...

Garrett booster

Makes sense but doesnt really matter if I am splicing engine wiring into the existing harness. Having the engine computer under the hood should keep things fairly simple I would think. Most of the wiring through the firewall should be for gauges, lights, starter solenoid etc.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rampant150 View Post
    Makes sense but doesnt really matter if I am splicing engine wiring into the existing harness. Having the engine computer under the hood should keep things fairly simple I would think. Most of the wiring through the firewall should be for gauges, lights, starter solenoid etc.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Exactly the way I'm looking at it. Except for power, all the SMEC stuff should stay in the engine bay.. I'm not using cruise. The Speedo is mechanical, and the tach runs off the coil, not the SMEC output, so I shouldn't have to splice anything but power and ignition...