Thread: Freaky Friday, 6-2-2017: Fayetteville Dragway MeanMini results

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Freaky Friday, 6-2-2017: Fayetteville Dragway MeanMini results

So, i didn't post this out before going because i wasn't sure i could make it.
    I had been struggling for weeks in my limited free time to sort out and resolve fully some boost control issues. (My original Garrett large can actuator was only capable of right around 25psi, fully bled off. On a previous track day, my hose blew off the actuator and it only made 25psi, thankfully!)
    So there had been some discussion in one of my other threads about modifying the Kinugawa actuator that i thought would work for me. After testing though, i still wasn't as happy with it.
    I ordered a Garrett 430099-034 large can actuator rated at just over 15psi, and reinstalled the TU z bracket and the new actuator.
    I also bought and installed for testing a cheaper electronic boost controller that Harry (tryingbe) had spoke highly of. HDi SBC-D-SE from ebay.
    I'm likewise pretty impressed with it for the money $137 i think.
    Did some quick street testing, and figured i set it well enough to try at the track.

So enter friday night and it turns out to be Freaky Friday, which is always busy down there and after the last time i went i said i would never go back. This might be my last chance before SDAC27, so i had to go.

First run right off the trailer, bye run. EBC set pretty much where i hoped. But launch was a bit slippery. But not bad for a shakedown.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1496676032602.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	60907

I adjusted the high boost setting just a tad higher, trying to get just over 25psi for the next run.
    2nd run, i bailed out after the burnout because my Check Engine light came on and stayed on. Went back to the pits, since i couldn't see what was up. Connected DRBII to find "TPS volts too high". Well damn, found my TPS became unplugged on its own? Plugged back in and good to go.
    Actual 2nd pass was against a Nissan 350z that went around some cars to pull beside me at the staging lanes. What's this? You want an easy win against a van to boost your ego? Son, you just don't know what you did...
    Not only was he asleep at the light, but i don't think losing by 36 car lengths helped out his ego...
    It must have looked every bit as humiliating from the stands...

Now, the Nissan guy was not the only one surprised either, as the van pulled so hard out of the hole it surprised me! I hit the 1-2 shift perfect just flickering my shift light, but the 2-3 i lost my concentration and shifted by sound, never lighting the shift light (shifted 300rpm too early!)
    This is my new record 60' time, and my fastest 1/8 mile time! If i just wouldn't have flubbed my shift, who knows!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1496676293341.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	60908

3rd run, after looking at logs from run 2, i had more boost than i expected, and had some timing retards. So i tweaked my cal a bit to lower the AdvanceFromMapFull when higher in the boost range.
    This was another bye run. And as the air temp was dropping a bit (now in the 70's) my tire pressure was dropping too. So usually don't run 13psi in these slicks. My best launches have been on 14.5

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1496676808463.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	60909

Since i was hoping for better, and since they race until 3am on Freaky Friday, i figured one more run.
    Again lower tire pressure than i wanted. I should have aired up a bit and had them where i wanted.
    I'm next to a white Chevy z71 4x4 ext cab i think, with bigger tires.
    Buddy, i hope you don't think your dual exhaust is a big power adder...

I felt something that run, right about at the 60' mark....pity!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1496677536473.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	60910

Lots of folks came by to check out and ask about the van. Everyone seems to like it! What's not to like!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Re: Freaky Friday, 6-2-2017: Fayetteville Dragway MeanMini results

Looking great. crushing dreams. so close to the fastest mini ATM..

keep pushing.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Congrats on the times. I'm looking forward to seeing the van at SDAC. I'm sensing a new record in the making.

Hybrid booster

They race until 3am?! Unheard of and awesome! Must not have ANY neighbors close by.

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    Looking great. crushing dreams. so close to the fastest mini ATM..

keep pushing.
    Sometimes I honestly feel bad for the guy who thinks racing a minivan is an easy kill... and with his girl or buddies in the stands watching!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Congrats on the times. I'm looking forward to seeing the van at SDAC. I'm sensing a new record in the making.
    Thanks Brian.
    I make no promises, except that i should be there, God willing.

Quote Originally Posted by 85glht View Post
    They race until 3am?! Unheard of and awesome! Must not have ANY neighbors close by.
    They actually kept announcing for folks to get in the staging lanes or they were going to close early. After only 1 or 2 cars pulling up over about 20 min, the called it around 0230.
    If i had s normal street car, i probably could have made 20 passes.

They only do the freaky friday race til 3am once per month through the summer.

They just re-hot topped the pit and staging areas. It is pretty nice. If we had any SDAC folks here, it would make a good drag day venue.
    But i can't seem to get anyone to move here...
    They'd rather be shoveling snow than racing in January here with me...
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    But i can't seem to get anyone to move here...
    They'd rather be shoveling snow than racing in January here with me...
    It all about the "Benjamins" my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 85glht View Post
    It all about the "Benjamins" my friend.
    True that.
    But cost of living still beats alot of the northern areas. It's all good. I know it ain't easy moving. I moved from MA back in '99.
    Wayne H.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    True that.
    But cost of living still beats alot of the northern areas. It's all good. I know it ain't easy moving. I moved from MA back in '99.
    I pay $1.98 for 87 and my house taxes are $500 a year. Suck on that northerners. And no rust. I wouldn't move back up north even if I made $15 more per hour.