Thread: K-frame knuckle issue

Hybrid booster

K-frame knuckle issue

I have an 85 town and country wagon. I swapped in a dual pivot stamped A-arm K-frame from a Daytona and knuckles from a 92 awd mini (swapped to 5x100 bearings). I had 16 inch pumpers on it until recently and didn't notice any issues except having difficulty getting the steering wheel centered when getting an alignment. I recently put on 15 inch Fiero wheels (30mm offset versus the pumpers 40mm) with 205/60 15 tires and now the drivers side rubs the bottom of the front fender when turning. The passenger side wheel doesn't rub. It is easy to see that the drivers side wheel is further forward than the passengers side. Pics:

Passenger side

Drivers side

Any idea what's going on?

Martin
    85 Town and Country
    Build thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...wn-and-Country

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: K-frame knuckle issue

Not sure if this is much help but I've done the DP K frame swap on about 4-5 cars, H body, Q bodies mostly (a couple L bodies but those were the sectioned K frames) and I noticed that when I used the cast iron control arms it definitely moved the wheels forward in the wells. You said you found the 89/90 only stamped arms to use so unless there is some kind of damage to the frame/arm(no doubt you checked it closely) not sure why one would move and the other didn't? Were the mounting holes to the K frame uprights hogged out/hollowed out/enlarged? Why did you use the AWD knuckles, to get the 11.25 brake upgrade?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Probably the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be to grab another control arm and try.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Probably the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be to grab another control arm and try.
    I have another set of control arms. I'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Not sure if this is much help but I've done the DP K frame swap on about 4-5 cars, H body, Q bodies mostly (a couple L bodies but those were the sectioned K frames) and I noticed that when I used the cast iron control arms it definitely moved the wheels forward in the wells. You said you found the 89/90 only stamped arms to use so unless there is some kind of damage to the frame/arm(no doubt you checked it closely) not sure why one would move and the other didn't? Were the mounting holes to the K frame uprights hogged out/hollowed out/enlarged? Why did you use the AWD knuckles, to get the 11.25 brake upgrade?
    Mounting holes were not touched. I used the awd knuckles because that was what was available at the yard. I used the 89 11" brackets and brakes (didn't know the awd brakes were bigger).

Thanks!

Martin

turbo addict

I'm thinking it could be an issue with either the control arm or the bushings either could result in an incorrect wheel position if changing the control arm dosen't fix the issue I'd think your K frame is crooked in the car
    FYI, the passenger wheel IS actually supposed to be slightly further forward in the wheel opening than the driver's side
    I know this for a fact as all my 80 'S fwd mopars have been like that as have all my friends 80'S fwd mopars
    I would suspect this is because the slightly longer resulting passenger side wheelbase is intended to help keep the car from driving down off the crown of the road towards the shoulder
    The difference between the two sides is such that if a 215 60 15 tire is installed on the passenger side it will just slightly touch the front of the wheel opening.. Only so slightly that it will not even wear off the paint on the front bumper cover where it wraps around into the wheel well to be attached to the fender
    I've had two cars, Daytona, an 86 and an 87 with that same set of tires on them and had the exact same fitment on both cars

turbo addict

Lol
    Sorry if any of you were trying to read that before I corrected the typo's

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I'm thinking it could be an issue with either the control arm or the bushings either could result in an incorrect wheel position if changing the control arm dosen't fix the issue I'd think your K frame is crooked in the car
    FYI, the passenger wheel IS actually supposed to be slightly further forward in the wheel opening than the driver's side
    I know this for a fact as all my 80 'S fwd mopars have been like that as have all my friends 80'S fwd mopars
    I would suspect this is because the slightly longer resulting passenger side wheelbase is intended to help keep the car from driving down off the crown of the road towards the shoulder
    The difference between the two sides is such that if a 215 60 15 tire is installed on the passenger side it will just slightly touch the front of the wheel opening.. Only so slightly that it will not even wear off the paint on the front bumper cover where it wraps around into the wheel well to be attached to the fender
    I've had two cars, Daytona, an 86 and an 87 with that same set of tires on them and had the exact same fitment on both cars
    I will check the control arm and bushings. I installed poly bushings when I did the swap. ---update--- bushings installed correctly

Thanks,

Martin
    Last edited by Turbulence; 06-02-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: update

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

For more detailed info on the various suspension differences, etc, check out posts by username: RBRYANT.

He's gone through just about every incarnation there is/can be. I know the knuckles can and arms can shift the wheels forward, usually a good thing as you get more caster, but can lead to interference...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Here's a good video that might help zero in the centering of the K-frame that was recently posted by Eric the Car Guy on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFCkr4f4hw

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Here's a good video that might help zero in the centering of the K-frame that was recently posted by Eric the Car Guy on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFCkr4f4hw
    If only our k frames were adjustable. Although it would provide good info anyway.

Martin

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    For more detailed info on the various suspension differences, etc, check out posts by username: RBRYANT.

He's gone through just about every incarnation there is/can be. I know the knuckles can and arms can shift the wheels forward, usually a good thing as you get more caster, but can lead to interference...

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I'll check him out.

turbo addict

another thought

from reading here and on TD I've found that it seems not all late model knuckles move the wheel forward , some do some do not

perhaps you have one of each knuckle on your car(?)

compareing the ball joint location of each knuckle might be wise

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

another thought

from reading here and on TD I've found that it seems not all late model knuckles move the wheel forward , some do some do not

perhaps you have one of each knuckle on your car(?)

compareing the ball joint location of each knuckle might be wise
    From everything I've ever seen actually measured, it's the arm that moves everything forward, not the knuckle.

turbo addict

OK , I had the impression the knuckles were drilled for the ball joint differently - though there isn't much area to relocate the hole

I had a 92 daytona that I never ended up building
    it had a passenger front wheel that was way way to far back in the opening - I never did get into checking why but it looked like the fromtmost K frame mount on that side appeared to be bent backward slightly

Hybrid booster

I hope to get it on a lift this week or better yet an alignment rack. I'll keep you posted.

Martin

OK , I had the impression the knuckles were drilled for the ball joint differently - though there isn't much area to relocate the hole.
    The confusion is probably regarding the tie-rod holes being different on the vans vs. the cars, IIRC, the vans were such that they didn't have as tight of a turning radius, but I'm going from memory...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

On the alignment rack, caster and camber are within spec. No obvious answers. The k frame came off a Daytona that was hit on the side hard enough to push in the door. Does that mean the k frame was tweaked? Who knows without doing a lot of measuring. I may just see about clearancing the fender a bit.

Martin

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    The confusion is probably regarding the tie-rod holes being different on the vans vs. the cars, IIRC, the vans were such that they didn't have as tight of a turning radius, but I'm going from memory...

Mike
    I used van uprights (aka knuckles, aka spindles) on my '88 Shelby Z with no issues (like the one OP is describing). The tires had enough angle to them to still rub the inside of the wheel well and the splash guards during full lock. Thing still had the turning radius of Jupiter's orbit, though! LOL I was also using a dual pivot K-frame and stamped control arms. I have heard the vans are slightly different, but I've never had a car and a van upright side by side of the same vintage to check.

It might vary with the wheel size too, now that you mentioned wheel size...

If only we had a depository that all this info could be distilled into... kind of like a wiki page for TM knowledge...

I think I'd call it a "knowledge center"!

Hmmm.... :-)

Mike

- Edmund Burke