Thread: SMEC 2.4 SRT cal

Garrett booster

SMEC 2.4 SRT cal

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a 2.4 SRT swap running off of SMEC electronics and is wanting to share their cal. I have an 88 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo with a 2.4 SRT swap and every cal that I have tried causes pretty high EGT's while cruising. The EGT's get up to 1500-1600 degrees while doing 75.

From the high EGT's, I have melted some sensor connectors at the back of the engine and killed a few speed sensors. This is even with the down pipe wrapped.

Thanks in advance.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: SMEC 2.4 SRT cal

Give it more timing while watching for knock. More ignition timing will significantly decrease EGTs from all I've read and experienced.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

+1 to that, late timing will cause fuel to burn leaving the cylinder, with all the heat that brings, as well as craptastic gas mileage and loss of power.

Cruise/high vacuum is one place that lots of timing will be ok, you might be surprised how much!

Cordes, I seem to recall you had something like 40*+ while in cruise with one of your cars?...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I have heard of total timing in part throttle to be as high as 60* before. I don't recall the application but i'm pretty sure i read it on these forums!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    +1 to that, late timing will cause fuel to burn leaving the cylinder, with all the heat that brings, as well as craptastic gas mileage and loss of power.

Cruise/high vacuum is one place that lots of timing will be ok, you might be surprised how much!

Cordes, I seem to recall you had something like 40*+ while in cruise with one of your cars?...

Mike
    I don't recall exactly what it was anymore, but if you look at the 89 MP TII cal and add some timing in vac where I would cruise there were a few degrees more than that. I would have to double check the cal's timing limit too since I bet I was getting close to it. I know my EGTs dropped several hundred degrees between stock TII and that cal.