Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masi 16v valve cover

Garrett booster

Re: Masi 16v valve cover

I take a piece of wood and drill three holes in a line. I put 2 bolts through the outer holes and make the middle hole big enough for the socket. Basically the same thing 4 l-bodies made but wooden. I only use it to loosen the bolt though. I usually just use the impact to tighten it. I can understand why you are careful though. If I had an engine like that I would be too!

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

I was talking with Andrew at SDAC, has a [drop (top) dead gorgeous] 89 TC with the new VC gasket and its leak free after at least 500 miles, and that was used twice. He installed it, drove it but it was loud so he shimmed the lifters and reinstalled. No leaks and he drove it to SE mich from WI.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    I was talking with Andrew at SDAC, has a [drop (top) dead gorgeous] 89 TC with the new VC gasket and its leak free after at least 500 miles, and that was used twice. He installed it, drove it but it was loud so he shimmed the lifters and reinstalled. No leaks and he drove it to SE mich from WI.
    Hey Ryan, I still have both Masi 16v engines that I bought from you waiting in the wings.

The one that I put in my SL came from Mark Christensen in MN (or Ohio?). Anyways, I put the new VC gasket on it from joelzip and it is holding up great. I've removed and reinstalled the valve cover several times getting the cam timing right (Masi newb here..) It's holding up great!

I saw the pictures you posted of the TC on Facebook. I like seeing those because I'm trying as hard as I can for a factory installed look.

I must have got lucky with this Masi 16v from Mark in the SL....it is very quiet and hauls ---! It's quieter than any 8v head I've ever had. I have it set at 5 psi via a granger valve and I honestly think it's faster than the old TII setup with 12 psi. Compared to the TII, it wants to rev to the moon!

Nice! I'm a big fan of going 16v as well. I want to do a Masi car one day. I'd like to do something crazy like a RWD conversion to a Lancer/Lebaron GTS or a Horizon. Here's some more pics that I took of the bone stock TC:

edit: had my camera on the wrong manual setting for some of the pics, so they're crap from a photography standpoint, still might be helpful for documentation purposes.
    Last edited by J&H Ryan; 06-27-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

That's a well detailed engine bay for sure Knowing a thing or two about the Masi 16V motors I'm gonna weigh in with some obsertvations:

See how the fuel lines go over the VC instead of off to the side? Early motor, non CB. Same with the strut tower covers, big plastic Frisbees = non common block built before July of '88.

The upper Rad to thermostat housing is aftermarket, It's a nice piece I have a couple myself Same with theomo to heater control valve, aftermarket and good quality.

This Guy has replaced his ABS brake accumulator, OE ones pop their diaphragm internally and don't hold the 2800PSI required for proper ABS to function. Also has flushed the fluid because the Resiviour is nice and clean.

Aftermarket RDI plug wires, much better than 30 year old OE

All and all a nicely maintained and upgraded TC Masi I just wish I liked purple_ I mean Royal Cabernet

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hi Alan,

Yup, you're spot on about the non-CB. I'll let Andrew know about this thread/link it to him so he knows about the thermostat stuff. Car has wood inside, which apparently is odd on a non-CB. Might be one of the last non-CBs and they had got the wood in at that point?

How could you tell the accum has been replaced? Rick D said to replace it asap, seemingly thinking it was original. For the fluids, Andrew went though that car pretty well when he bought it. 30k one owner car.

Keeping an eye out on these cars, he asked if I'd be interested in one, I said yes, for the deal you got for sure, but I'd really want the black interior. There were 10 made I found out later. Don't think that's going to happen.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict

My early '89 has wood interior as well. They used to sell the conversion kit, so there's no guarantee that the car hasn't been changed (unless original owner can say for sure).

That accumulator does look stock. I agree...replace it...SOON!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I guess my memory is going, I thought the stock ones had the yellow printing highlights in the label?, I think I have it backwards tho, red/white is stock, some yellow is replacement. Easy test for an accumulator tho, with car idling depress brake pedal quickly a few times, a good accumulator should have enough reserve for 6-8 depressions before the yellow brake warning lights on the dash. A weak accumulator will light it after 1-5 pedal depressions.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I guess my memory is going, I thought the stock ones had the yellow printing highlights in the label?, I think I have it backwards tho, red/white is stock, some yellow is replacement. Easy test for an accumulator tho, with car idling depress brake pedal quickly a few times, a good accumulator should have enough reserve for 6-8 depressions before the yellow brake warning lights on the dash. A weak accumulator will light it after 1-5 pedal depressions.
    I'm fairly sure the accumulator on the Teves unit I have from the 16V car is stock...definitely red and white sticker.

Since I've never had any good experience with the stock accumulator I can only relay what I've read through my research, but the pedal test is a general indicator, but apparently if you pay attention to how much fluid is needed to pump the accumulator up by watching the level in the reservoir, that's a better indicator of whether it's bad. I think I found that information on the Reatta forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12