Thread: More Transmission-Swap Parts Needed...& UD Pulley

Garrett booster

More Transmission-Swap Parts Needed...& UD Pulley

Hi, folks,

-Looks like I'm going to need the right-side (passenger's side) axle for my 93 LeBaron LE transmission swap. There is no speedo-drive outlet on the original auto-transmission extension. Presumably the axle will not have the required splines.

-I may also need the gearbox mount on the driver's side...dunno about that one yet. Maybe someone can advise me.

-And I want an underdrive pulley for the V6 Mitsubishi engine in this LeBaron.

Can anyone help?

......Ray

Hybrid booster

Re: More Transmission-Swap Parts Needed...& UD Pulley

parts stores can get that axle pretty easy. .
    the mounts i would get a poly mount. check poly bushings.com.
    and any of the vendors here in the vendor forum can get you the UDP.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    parts stores can get that axle pretty easy. .
    the mounts i would get a poly mount. check poly bushings.com.
    and any of the vendors here in the vendor forum can get you the UDP.
    Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated. However...
    The mount I need is the metal bracket. On both A543's I've received the bracket has been torched to remove the gearbox from the donor car.
    ........Ray

Garrett booster

I have the bracket you need but it has some rust and could use some cleanup and fresh paint. If you're interested let me know and I will get pictures of it. The 5-speed mount is different than the auto mount. I'm assuming you're swapping in an a543 correct? On the axle be careful about what axle you buy from parts stores. The re-mans can be pretty crappy sometimes. I've had bad experiences with them in the past. Make sure you at least get one with a good warranty if you get a re-man.

Garrett booster

Hi, Lightbulb010. Yes, I'm interested in your bracket. You are correct, I'm removing the auto trans and putting in the best A543 I can assemble from two trans's. I have only half the two mounts. The other halves are still in a junkyard in Oklahoma. Once I again figure out how, I'll send you a private message so you can send the pix.

About the axle, I looked on Rock Auto and found the axle from $27 to $58 under "CV Half-Shaft Assembly," but then found one under "Drive Shafts" for a "NASA Axle reman" for $237...??? What gives? Six times the price for the same item from the same source? What am I missing?

However, each and all the photos show the right-side axle with an angled set of splines on the transmission end, which I presume are there to engage the speedo drive. Therefore I must ask, when I take out my axle will it already have the necessary drive gears, meaning I don't need a new axle?

.........Ray

Hybrid booster

I would suggest getting axles locally.. with the lifetime warranty. Off a shelf from a store.
    that 30$ you save ordering online is going to seem like nothing when it is wrong one.. or breaks next month.. and you need to send it back or get a core or swap it out.

My NAPA axles in my van have been great. fit right the first time . and if i snap one they will deliver one to me if i am near a napa.

Broke one a while back when backing out of a local junkyard.
    NAPA delivered one to me in the parking lot.. ..

they were 68$.

I cant answer you last question though.

Garrett booster

masterjr33, Thanks a bunch. I live in the middle of nowhere, the closest town of 3000 being 30miles away. However, there IS a NAPA store there, so there I will go if indeed I need a new axle. The best-looking one on Rock Auto was the Cardone, which like the NAPA is made slightly long to compensate for motor mount wear. With 100K on the car that might be good...though I will be putting new rubber into the trans mount.

Also, thanks for the link to polybushings.com. To my joy they have the bracket I'll need to weld to the lower brace for the "bobble" strut. I was about to manufacture one out of 4130 sheet which I have for the airplane (Dalotel restoration). So you've saved me some agony. I'm sure glad I joined this forum.

.........Ray

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

For the pulley, you are going to need to spend more than the cost back in 2000-2003 when most were created and sold. Vendors have zero right now. If one is produced, it will be at a higher price and don't expect the producer to be in a hurry with the zere profit margin... Just the aluminum stock right now is very spendy for 6" round.

I sent off an old Nick Boers with AC pulley for a friend to have their machinist look at because he wants one, and he can't keep any of mine. Don't contact me about it. Just sharing that bit of info.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Ondonti, thanks. I see OBX Racing has a pulley for the 3.0 Mitsubishi V6, but it doesn't have the six holes the Chrysler layout needs. These are on eBay. Has anyone tried to modify one? I have a machinist friend but don't know if this can be done, if the overall configuration of the pulley is correct, so I haven't spent the $75. Forward Motion, as you noted, no longer has them.

.........R
    Last edited by RayO; 05-31-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Garrett booster

Someone would have to measure how far the DOHC pulley sticks out from the timing gear and measure the timing gear itself to determine if the belt would line up right. The DOHC timing gear will not fit the timing belt on the SOHC motor. IF the spacing is correct or can be corrected by machining/shimming the pulley your machinist friend could probably drill a hole for a roll pin into the SOHC timing gear. IMHO that's too much work for too little gain, I think you would be better off trying to find that power elsewhere. With that said, I've never had an underdrive pulley on my 3.0l so I don't know firsthand how much difference it makes.

Garrett booster

Lightbulb010, mebbe you're right. I'd have to get a new belt (about due, however) and besides. no one has jumped on here saying they have an underdrive pulley for sale for my engine.

Ondonti, sorry I spelled your name wrong.

I would like to get an ECU for the 5-speed manual. Yes, I know or have been told the auto-trans one works, but have also been told the manual-trans version is BETTER. Anyone have one???

.........R

Hybrid booster

they are the same. and wont make a single HP difference on a dyno.

Are you looking to make more power?
    I see you want a UDP and a computer .. There are plenty of upgrade paths for these vehicles.
    Being that they are at least 20 years old now the path of power production is pretty well laid out..

bigger TB. Intake plenum. tune up and exhaust will be the first steps in power.. not swapping in a magic computer.

Garrett booster

The computer change is more to improve driveability than a way to gain power but the manual one does have a 6200rpm rev limiter vs. the 5700rpm limiter on the auto computer. They definitely are not the same. I think the main difference between the two besides the rev limiter is the way fuel is cut during overrun/decel situations.

If you can't find a 5-speed computer you could get a flashable computer and put the 5-speed cal on it. That would also give you the option of tweaking the tune if you so desired. Just an idea.

C'mon somebody must have a 5-speed 3.0l computer for this guy!

Garrett booster

Lightbulb010 is correct and masterjr33 is not, from my research. I dunno what a TB is, but I do have a larger air intake to put on. The engine is in perfect tune, but as masterjr33 noted I'll need to do something with the exhaust.

I quote a gentleman who made this swap and wrote it up online some years back. Sorry I don't have his name:
    "I finally found a manual ECU. It's from a 93 Plymouth Duster 3.0/5 speed. The car feels a LOT better with it, it starts up much better and goes into high idle when cold like it should. Plus it's a lot easier to shift and I can shift a lot faster. The car feels like it has a little more power too, and the rev limiter is increased 400 RPM's to 6200."

I looked into aftermarket computers for this setup and it looks like they're way more costly than I'd like to spend. But I may have to go that route if no one has a 5-speed 3.0l. computer I can stick in the car.
    .......R

Garrett booster

Good news: The right-side drive shaft does indeed have the spiral gears for the speedometer drive, even though there was no use for it on the original auto-transmission setup.

I got the driver's-side gearbox mount from a forum member and new rubber for it.

I have given up on the underdrive pulley, as I cannot find one. Forward Motion no longer has 'em and no one has come forward with a used one.

Therefore this thread can be considered fulfilled, and thus closed.

........Ray

Garrett booster

Glad to hear your making progress on your project. Good luck!