Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with lots of questions

Garrett booster

New guy with lots of questions

Hi guys! So not sure if this is the right place to post but since I have multiple questions I figured I would put it here instead of creating multiple threads. I have acquired a 1988 Voyager LE with the 3.0 and 3spd. I came here because even though its not currently boosted you guys seem to know your stuff and I am having a hard time getting answers elsewhere. Not to mention alot of the parts seem usable from the duster/daytona/etc etc. I have read tons of threads on here and there is just an overwhelming amount of information, some of which I don't understand fully so here we go:

1. I am assuming my transmission is what you call a 413? How do I confirm this?
    2. Where can I get transfer gears for it? I think I need 0.91? trying to lower the highway RPM a bit.
    3. What all is interchangeable from the 3000GT/stealth? I have heard of being able to bolt on the DOHC setup.
    4. I want to lower it. From what I have read struts from a daytona? How about the rear?
    5. Oil pressure gauge reads pretty low at idle but i have read that spec on these is 9psi once warmed up so maybe thats normal.
    6. Any tips/tricks/advice/parts sources?

Now she burns a bit of oil if you go over 65 and once warmed up there seems to be some valve train noise and really low RPM, pulling away form a stop. I have accepted the fact that I will need to do some overhauling just trying to figure out the best direction. Build up the 3.0?(hence DOHC question) SRT4 swap? boost options? Any little things that can be cleaned up/changed/improved during a rebuild?

Hybrid booster

Re: New guy with lots of questions

1. I am assuming my transmission is what you call a 413? How do I confirm this?
    A413 is the 4 cyl trans. the 6cyl is a A604

2. Where can I get transfer gears for it? I think I need 0.91? trying to lower the highway RPM a bit.
    Vendors . check vendor section.

3. What all is interchangeable from the 3000GT/stealth? I have heard of being able to bolt on the DOHC setup.
    ton of money. ton of custom stuff. be MUCH easier to pop a holset turbo on that 3.0.. then DOHC 6G72 swap the car..

4. I want to lower it. From what I have read struts from a daytona? How about the rear?
    yup daytona struts lower it.. daytona springs on day struts REALLY lower it.. might wanna use cut van springs on daytona struts. multiple options for rear lowering..
    what you need to ask yourself is do you want to sacrifice towing/hauling/weight handling ability in the rear.. or not.

5. Oil pressure gauge reads pretty low at idle but i have read that spec on these is 9psi once warmed up so maybe thats normal.
    Check oil pressure manually. the sender is cheap. pop a new one on there when you take the old one off the check pressure manually.

6. Any tips/tricks/advice/parts sources?
    yes, yes, yes here, and vendor section

Garrett booster

Awesome response. Are you sure about the 604? The 604 is a 4spd trans not put into production until 1989. and I believe this is a 3spd. As far as towing/etc not really. I think two inches all around would be perfect. I just drive it back and forth to work, its a third car for me. Feel like it would be fun to play with. Its comfy and in really nice shape.
    Last edited by RaiderGT; 05-24-2017 at 11:06 AM.

turbo addict

A670 is the 3 speed trans.

Hybrid booster

I am not sure about year compatibility, but I have a 3.0 / 3spd powertrain from a 93 spirit. I overhauled the engine and trans just about 10k miles before the car got totalled. Trans has .91 transfer gears installed to boot.
    Stuff is located near Philly, if you are interested.
    If someone can confirm the year interchangeability. If you wanted to keep things the same-ish.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    A670 is the 3 speed trans.
    DOH he is right. sorry.. A413 was only 4 cyl.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderGT View Post
    As far as towing/etc not really. I think two inches all around would be perfect. I just drive it back and forth to work, its a third car for me.
    if you dont care about towing you can start taking leaves out of the rear. that is the cheapest way. it makes sacrifices in other areas.

CORRECT way is to dearch the springs. which locally costs me 300$.

you can also flip the axle if you want to do some FAB work and get the welder out

you can also have customer shackles made to get 1-2 inches at the most.

You can get some custom springs made. keep the towing and stability and set the height.. my last quote was 600$ custom springs.

you can swap in the rear end from an AWD van for a 1-2 inch drop.. Good luck finding one. and its a pretty heafty swap.

Garrett booster

Awesome. I assume searching is exactly as it sounds, taking the curve out of the leafs. Assume this is accomplished with heat and a press? Like I said 2" all around seems to be perfect. Do you think Daytona struts and springs would be too low? I really don't want to cut the springs and 1" is a little less then I want.

boostaholic

Over 1" drop I'd want stiffer rates on front springs to prevent bottoming. Taurus springs and cut to suit.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...taurus+springs
    MinivanRider

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I did Daytona struts/springs on the front, down side is it kills 2" of useable travel, lotsa times I've wished I had that back over bumps. It's workable tho. For the rear I had the springs De-Arched, that worked well IMO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160312_202524.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	60802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150605_183955.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	60803  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

I had daytona struts and springs on my 87' and it was too low for me. If you have tall tires it's driveable but you might scrape the pans. Especially going over big dips in the road at high speed. Not much is really usable from the stealth/3000gt set up. It might be possible to use the DOHC heads on the SOHC block they should bolt up but there are other roadblocks like the timing belt setup. The DOHC engines have a different tensioner setup and an extra idler. Without that extra idler there the belt will probably flop around like crazy. I don't think anyone has actually tried it before but, IMO, you would be better off swapping in the whole DOHC engine if you want those heads.

Garrett booster

That actually doesn't look too low at all. Im running 16" wheels on a 215/55 tire right now. I did the measurement and a 3" drop should still give me plenty of trans pan clearance. Any word on whether there would be any compatibility issues with the driveline out of that 93 Spirit? Anything need to swap over or any problems of them not jiving?

Also some pictures:

Garrett booster

Nice van! I like that color scheme.
    I like that pic of the old van next to the new one.

Short answer is yes, the 93' engine/trans will work, but you will have to swap some parts over from the old engine.

The 93 stuff will have different engine/trans mounts. On the passenger side I think you have to transfer over the whole side plate and use the older serpentine belt setup but you may be able to transfer just the part with the bushing to the newer side plate. I've always just kept the older setup when I've used newer 3.0ls in my 87' because I prefer the old style belt routing. It does have a thinner belt than the newer engines though.

The intake manifolds are also different. The older plenum has a different internal design and will have much more volume when ported than the newer one. Un-ported they are close to the same. The newer plenum also lacks the extra bunghole for the charge air temp sensor since the newer 3.0ls don't have one. You will either have to drill and tap a new hole in the newer plenum swap over the old one or reroute the vacuum lines over to the bung where the brake booster is and use the one on the end for the charge temp sensor. I would just swap the old plenum over or make a hybrid. You should also swap over your old throttle body because it should be a 52mm vs. the 46mm on the newer engine. There are other minor differences that shouldn't matter like the water pipe above the trans and the MAP sensor being mounted on the alternator bracket instead of the firewall.

The newer engine has roller rockers vs. sliders too so that's a plus.

Hybrid booster

Its like a clone of my vans colors.

Going to lower mine on Van springs cut. and Daytona struts. and most likely get drop shackles and pull a leaf or two out of it. .

Garrett booster

Apreciate all the replies. Can anyone point me in the direction of some part numbers or somethi g for the transfer gears? I checked the vendor section and even emailed one andhavnt found anything.

turbo addict

Yeah mine is radiant silver but had the base model bumpers and no stripe.

boostaholic

Pic showing the thicker Taurus deal. IIRC I took a coil off so it wouldn't end up higher than the sagging stockers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taurus.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	453.8 KB 
ID:	60815  
    MinivanRider

Garrett booster

Stupid question, If I swap an auto in from a car that means its a 413 right? Meaning I loose a lockup torque converter. But I could put a lockup converter in it right and have essentially the same thing?

Garrett booster

The a413 is the 4-cylinder transminssion and it won't bolt up to a V6. If the trans came from a V6 vehicle and it's a three speed it's an a670 which has lockup no matter what car it comes from. If it's a 4-speed it's an a604 and you would have to wire in a TCM to control it.

Garrett booster

So engine and trans are out and being torn down time to get to business:

- What can I do for exhaust manifolds? I saw someone mention Grand Prix headers or something like that.
    - What cams fit? Does the 3000gt 12v have a slightly more aggressive profile or anything?
    - Rebuild parts. Rings, gaskets, etc. best kind / place to acquire this stuff.
    - I read about some guy named nitetrain who made some intake manifold spacer and stuff. Is any of this still available?
    - Head work, was going to have them machined etc. but maybe you have some ideas.
    - Anything I need to do while its apart to make it fit in the van?
    - Can any of the EGR stuff be removed?
    - Distributer/Ign./Coil. I noticed that my van has a remote canister style coil while the spirit motor I have has a newer style coil on the manifold. No issue here? Good upgrade for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast