Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can high stall TC cause transmission damage?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: can high stall TC cause transmission damage?

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    I know where you can get some billet transfer gears.....

Also, this won't help you any, but weight is a huge enemy of these trans's......I know having a van there isn't much you can do about it...
    Can you tell me again what ratio the billet transfer gears have?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    Looks like the pinion shaft broke or the part of the case that holds the pinion bearing retainer on the other side broke and let the gears spread causing the stripping of the teeth. That piece behind the lower gear that you can see sticking out is the governor carrier. Is houses one of the bearing races for the pinion shaft and the governor housing. It's not bolted down so when the shaft breaks it's able to walk out with the piece of the shaft and the bearing. I broke my pinion shaft once but it didn't hurt the transfer gears. Did you try to pull on the lower gear to see if it would come out with a busted piece of pinion shaft? If it won't come out that would point towards a broken case. You should be able to see what's going on if you remove the oil pan.

I did try and remove the lower gear and it wasn't moving. Figured I'd need to get a gear puller. Sounds like some more fun stuff happened inside. If the case cracked I just hope the internals are salvageable, there was some hard to find parts in there.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Can you tell me again what ratio the billet transfer gears have?

Pretty sure they are 1.09.....with out digging them out to check.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    Pretty sure they are 1.09.....with out digging them out to check.
    I know that stuff wasn't cheap, but if i go on the wild side with Slugmobile, i may want some beefier parts.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Van_Duno View Post
    I did try and remove the lower gear and it wasn't moving. Figured I'd need to get a gear puller. Sounds like some more fun stuff happened inside. If the case cracked I just hope the internals are salvageable, there was some hard to find parts in there.
    Most likely everything before the transfer gears is ok. No telling if the ring gear was damaged. The case breakage at the pinion bearing retainer is one of the more common failures I've read about on here. I've never had it happen but some weld in extra bracing there. I broke the pinion shaft on my trans once. It broke on a WOT 1st to 2nd shift. This was with the supercharger on my 3.0l van. The shaft broke at the splines. The governor got wedged onto the jagged edge of the shaft and I was actually able to drive home just barely. Coasted into my driveway, put it in park and ,when I got out, the van started rolling backwards. Right then I knew what happened. I used to load mine up on the line too but I was only making 7psi at ~3200 RPM on the 3.0l. Hopefully you only broke the shaft and the broken off piece is just wedged in there somehow.

The governor is stuck on the shaft but it still turns. I don't know if there was still a little bit of spline left after it broke or what. I could probably get that governor off if I bashed it hard enough but I never tried.

turbo addict

Joe, where did you get your converter? I need a loose 4400

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    Most likely everything before the transfer gears is ok. No telling if the ring gear was damaged. The case breakage at the pinion bearing retainer is one of the more common failures I've read about on here. I've never had it happen but some weld in extra bracing there. I broke the pinion shaft on my trans once. It broke on a WOT 1st to 2nd shift. This was with the supercharger on my 3.0l van. The shaft broke at the splines. The governor got wedged onto the jagged edge of the shaft and I was actually able to drive home just barely. Coasted into my driveway, put it in park and ,when I got out, the van started rolling backwards. Right then I knew what happened. I used to load mine up on the line too but I was only making 7psi at ~3200 RPM on the 3.0l. Hopefully you only broke the shaft and the broken off piece is just wedged in there somehow.

The governor is stuck on the shaft but it still turns. I don't know if there was still a little bit of spline left after it broke or what. I could probably get that governor off if I bashed it hard enough but I never tried.
    They make a pinion support now. Boots was thinking that the cases may not need to be welded with them, but hasn't had anyone try it out yet.....I been debating on trying it.....but will probably go ahead and weld my case up too...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Some of the big hp guys (900+) leave on around 8lbs of boost and hit it with a 50 shot of nos. If you watch some of Stephane's video's he come of the line easy then nailed it....
    IMO, a 5000 rpm stall situation should not be bogging even if you don't have much boost.
    Yes! Another thing is that Warren said his last trans build lasted 10 yrs in his 10-sec car (now faster). I think if you learn and accept a few basic principles about getting the car off the line without breaking it, the stock trans parts will work for a LONG time. Aside from random flaws.

I snapped an output shaft on a STOCK 3.0/670 van 'launching' on street tires. I think some of these parts are just flawed. Aside from that, even very fast cars should see their hard parts living long healthy lives if they are not brake-boosted into the grave.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    Joe, where did you get your converter? I need a loose 4400
    I bought it used from a guy on here. Honestly forget who. It's a PTC brand, might have been custom made as they don't advertise one on their website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12