Thread: Cant think of a cool title...project

Garrett booster

Cant think of a cool title...project

Well everyone I think I've lurked around on here long enough and feel its time to finally start my build thread. Plus there's only 2 project vehicles I can honestly say I have gotten serious about that I've owned one being my 1969 Dodge w200 Crew cab stepside truck i placed on a 1993 dodge one ton Cummins frame that I'm mainly working on now and am close to have running and driving but will have paint and body work to do next summer. The other vehicle my 1986 Dodge Omni GLH-T. So with that said I'm gonna give you a quick reason/history of how I even got into these cars, what my plans are and the plans and parts I have for this car so far.

So before I owned my 69 dodge truck mentioned above I had a 68 D100 long box big block truck that you guess you can say was a third vehicle I was pretty serious about before I stumbled upon my crew cab (but that's another story for another time kind of thing) that I wanted to do a junkyard turbo kind of build with. After looking around the internet for some info I stumbled across this forum and in particular at the time a certain thread about a dart and someone kind of doing the same but with a small block and he happened to live pretty close to me. So I decided to PM him and see if I could pick his brain and maybe even find a new parts contact or something and Oh boy did that ever happen and snowball out of control. What I mean by that is the member I contacted has a big role in how I began growing more interest in these cars and he's also the one that sold me the car I have and the motor I'm gonna be using. After I sent him a PM and he responded to it we wound up doing lots of talking via text messages all about cars and it was during those texts and his explanations of his experiences with these turbo dodges that really sparked an interest into these TM's...that and well my hidden passion for small hatchback cars and turbo 4 cylinders. Before coming across this forum I never knew of any mopar turbo cars other than the srt-4 and the Eagle Talon (which was my first experience with turbo 4 bangers) but ain't really a mopar so the interest wasn't there and the neon ain't for me and the caliber is ok but out of my price range and again not really for me. after talking with him and lots of time on here and Youtube I became obsessed with wanting an omni especially the glh models. So after having my first child and deciding it was more than time to ask my high school sweetheart to marry me (she said yes) I decided to sell my 72 demon project car to buy here an engagement/wedding ring, the car was more project than I wanted to take on at the time. I was able to dump the car off for more than I recently purchased it for so that was nice. Ironically enough during the time I decided to sell my demon and all that does the member on here hits me up asking if I would be interested in a Omni GLH-T? Um...yeah I've only been looking for months in my general area to not even come up with a base model omni or horizon. The car wasn't a runner so I rented a car dolly and was off on my 4-5 hour round trip to buy my Omni.

My plans for the car were to find a new engine and wiring and get it running that way seeing how the car was basically rust free minus 2 small spots, on in the drivers floor and the other under the rear passenger seat but nothing to worry about right away, but the car sat outside with the hood off and no valve cover so the engine was toast from rain and snow but the wiring was weathered to the point of being no good. Well after owning the car a little while plans changed and i decided i wanted to do a 2.4L turbo swap. so after contacting the member on here again and finding out he had a motor from a turbo pt cruiser it was off again to get a motor from him. i plan on basically making this a fun street strip car with the bare essentials. I want to install a roll cage good for at least a nine second car even if I'm not close to that in the beginning I plan to eventually get there. After many late nites reading this forum and coming across lotsaboost (RIP) thread I've decided I'm gonna build an all wheel drive omni using his thread as my guide, I've read his thread a couple of times and even wrote down lots of notes to help me out without having to refer back here all the time. Since owning this car the last 4 years I've been trying to collect as many parts as possible, including a A568 big spline from Cindy, the 2.4L, forged Manley rods, forged Weisco pistons, shifter but no cables, a perfect horizon grille (still looking for an omni one), a better drivers fender, ms2, aftermarket wiring harness and some other little things. I know of an awd van in a junkyard close to me I'm hoping to get parts from soon. I still have many parts to track down but am hoping to have a majority of them gathered together for when I get my truck up and running I can focus on putting it together and not waiting on parts or trying to track things down.

As for things I've done to the car I have removed the motor and tranny and gutted the interior seeing the carpet, headliner,and seats were pretty well toast plus the car is red and I plan on changing the color cause I don't care for red cars and I hate red interiors but some how I managed to get both. the dash is nice and i think i might try and paint it with that vinyl paint seeing its about the only piece of original interior going back in, pretty much gonna just leave it bare metal. Removed the gas tank that had old gas in it plus I planned on running a fuel cell anyways. I recently sanded down the hood and roof and sprayed them with epoxy primer cause I left a tarp on the car for a short period of time that started to wreak havoc on it but luckily I caught it before to much damage was done. So other than removing bumpers and the fenders that's all I've been able to do but I'm mainly focused on finishing gathering parts while I finish up my truck so I can later focus on nothing but the omni.

That's all I got for now, I'll try and post some pics later but it's late and I need to get to bed.

turbo addict

Re: Cant think of a cool title...project

Welcome...
    Sounds like two cool projects.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

Thanks for the welcoming and compliment. Looking forward to continuing to learn from you guys and hopefully get this car going and hopefully make the drive to SDAC some day. Here's some pics of the car and a couple of my truck just because. The first 7 pictures are from the day I got it. The 8th pic is what the motor looked like inside after I removed the head. The rest of my pics will be of parts I've gotten and things I've done to it. I'm missing pics of some things but it's mostly there. The first truck pic is before the Cummins swap second is after the swap and third a pic of the engine of course lol and is an older pic I have the wiring, radiator, intercooler and other things in. Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy the pictures.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Awd omini

edit: Looks better in all caps, site wont let me do that for some reason

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL